Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3278 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:20 am
Careful.

I repeat: the problem is on your end.
Two complete strangers experienced an issue here.
I can make 500,000 people have the same issue simultaneously under the right conditions. The problem is still on their end.
Please read carefully.
Could ping the server fine but not register.
I can ping all servers whenever I want, provided they're running properly. I can also ping them when NAT corruption has developed in routers and prevents ATAs from registering. voip.freephoneline.ca was up and running perfectly fine when you posted. The problem was on your end.
Been connecting for 5 plus years fine
It doesn't matter how long you've been with FPL. It doesn't matter if you never changed settings. I've been with FPL for close to 9 years now. You were having a problem. I wasn't. The reason you were having that problem isn't a big mystery; I already explained why.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 11th, 2019 7:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Aug 24, 2008
606 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, what I meant was I hadn't changed anything from default after factory reset. I did have some customizations I had made over time on my obi, but after factory resetting twice and going through all of the trouble shooting I could think of and using your excellent tutorials for reference in case I was missing something, it still wouldn't work even in a completely fresh, default state with no customized configurations. The only thing that worked was changing the domain of the proxy.

It's very strange and the first time I haven't been able to fix a problem like this.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3338 posts
1981 upvotes
Ottawa
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:21 am
Sorry you're wrong here. You can parrot it all you want.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Aug 24, 2008
606 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:21 am
I agree that the problem is "on our end" because the service is not down and you cannot argue with that. I think that just saying the problem is on your end makes people feel you're blaming them for doing something, but I know that's not what you mean. Something changed somewhere between our obi and the server and we didn't necessarily have any part in it. Freephoneline could have done something specifically to our accounts or our ISPs etc etc (unlikely), but whatever happened caused the problem on our end which resulted in myself no longer being able to successfully register on the original domain name. Hopefully by the time this new domain gives us problems the other issue has flushed itself out and we can revert back to the original config.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3278 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:26 am
Sorry you're wrong here. You can parrot it all you want.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I will not attempt to help you again.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3338 posts
1981 upvotes
Ottawa
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:28 am
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I will not attempt to help you again.
Well you didn't anyways but thanks.
Glad it worked for the other user too.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3278 upvotes
voodoo22 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:27 am
I agree that the problem is "on our end" because the service is not down and you cannot argue with that. I think that just saying the problem is on your end makes people feel you're blaming them for doing something, but I know that's not what you mean.
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm saying the problem can only be addressed on your end.

It's not just that the service isn't down. The point is voip.freephoneline.ca is working and also was when you were experiencing the issue.
Something changed somewhere between our obi and the server and we didn't necessarily have any part in it.
People have a difficult time understanding that it doesn't matter if they never changed anything and are suddenly encountering problems. It doesn't matter how many years someone has been using FPL without issue. That has no bearing on anything. There's two potential problems that can occur without a user knowingly doing anything, even when FPL is up and running perfectly fine:

1) NAT Corruption (default UDP timeout values in routers are generally not good for use with Freephoneline)

These issues can develop on their own without you doing anything. It's based on UDP timeouts in your router and the NAT Keep alive interval and failed registration retry interval in your ATA. Having a router that allows you to adjust UDP timeouts alleviates this problem. Refer to point D below.

One way to check for NAT corruption, the next time this problem happens, is in your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (whichever method you use; don’t use both), navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000. Just pick a new port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

2) Temporary IP bans

This can happen if registration timers are wrong (or if someone else is running FPL's desktop app with the same credentials or trying a SIP app on a smartphone using the same credentials). Also, if you keep trying to reboot your ATA over and over again in attempt to address a problem caused by #1, you can be temp IP banned.

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

Each time you reboot the ATA, it attempts to register with Freephoneline's proxy server.
Registration timers with FPL are very important or restrictive, more so than with some other SIP service providers.

Multiple registration attempts can result in a temp IP ban. When that occurs, the proxy server ignores registration requests until the ban clears.

If you've been temp IP banned, you're going to have to unplug the ATA for a couple hours and wait out the ban period. Or you can try switching to another proxy server.

Freephoneline could have done something specifically to our accounts
No
or our ISPs
The most common issues caused by ISPs are high pings (latency from the time you speak until it’s heard) and high jitter (choppy or dropped calls) due to congestion or bad routing. Your ISP did not cause the problem you’re describing.
Hopefully by the time this new domain gives us problems the other issue has flushed itself out and we can revert back to the original config.
Yes

Also, you'll encounter less registration issues by following this PDF guide fully instead of relying on the default FPL profile at Obitalk.com, which can cause problems: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839. Also, by using the PDF guide fully, you'll have setup your ATA to automatically attempt to switch to another proxy server in the event that a server is down. Moreover, your ATA will eventually regain registration with your primary Proxy Server choice automatically once it's able to. In the PDF guide, I have X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval set to 7200s. Consequently, every two hours, if your ATA is registered with a different proxy server, it will check to see if it can register with voip.freephoneline.ca (in your case), again. And because the interval is 2 hours, you shouldn't be continuing to perpetuate a temporary ban by having the ATA attempt to register/contact the same proxy server over and over again within a short period.

For VoIP SIP services, you want

A) a router that does not have a full cone NAT,

Visit https://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2 ... es-of-nat/.
Mango from the Obitalk.com forums writes,
“Use a restricted cone NAT router, and do not use port forwarding or DMZ. Restricted cone NAT will only permit
inbound traffic from the service provider you're registered to. If you have a full cone NAT router, it will allow traffic
from any source. This is probably not what you intend.
If you have a Windows computer, you can test your router using the utility here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,22292023. To run it, use stun stun.ekiga.net from a command prompt.”
Essentially, you download the stun-test.zip file; extract the stun.exe file from within the zip file to an easily
accessible location; use an elevated command prompt (visit
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-ru ... inistrator); change directory (cd) to the
directory or location where you extracted stun.exe (visit
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command- ... c-commands); and type “stun stun.ekiga.net” without
the quotation marks followed by the enter/return button on your keyboard.
Asus routers, at the time of this writing, produce port restricted cone NAT routers, for example and are fine,
provided you’re using one with Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware installed: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about.

B) a router that lets you disable SIP ALG if it's buggy,

To understand why SIP ALG often causes horrible problems, please visit
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG (scroll down to the section on SIP ALG problems).

If you're dealing with a modem/router combo issued by an ISP or a router with SIP ALG forced on, you may have
to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the Proxy Server. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent
faulty SIP ALG features in routers.

C) a router that allows you to set QoS or assign highest priority to your ATA or IP Phone over all other devices on your LAN (local area network),

For a very general description of what QoS can do for you, visit https://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm.
The basic idea is if you're torrenting or have a bunch of other computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. downloading and uploading (hogging all your available bandwidth), you don't want
your ATA not to have access to enough bandwidth to make or receive calls properly. So QoS or a Bandwidth Monitor feature (which is just another form of QoS) is a really good idea for VoIP users.

I often get an occasional relative complaining to me, "Hey my calls sound choppy." And then when I go visit, some kids are playing MMOs on a computer, while another person is downloading a huge file,
and another person is backing up files to a cloud service all at the same time someone else is trying to talk on the phone. All those devices, without QoS enabled, are fighting over available bandwidth along with the ATA.

and D) A router that lets you adjust both Unreplied and Assured UDP timeouts.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 17, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

(the above settings are making reference to those in Obihai ATAs)

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin (I would avoid any model less powerful than an RT-AC68U), third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under General–>Tools-->Other settings. My understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Note that I will not be held accountable any damage resulting from failed firmware updates.

Apparently, Mikrotik routers also allow users to change both Assured and Unreplied UDP timeout settings as well:
recommendations-new-router-2115672/2/#p28056619 (I've never used them and can't advise buying them or answering questions about them)
recommendations-new-router-2115672/2/#p28059363
recommendations-new-router-2115672/2/#p28059444

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 17 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

ISPs do not issue customers routers that can do all four things I just listed. Typically it's far better to have your own router with strong QoS functions and a restricted cone NAT firewall,
disable whatever SIP ALG feature is enabled in the router, and stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode (for Bell Hubs you can just do PPPoE login using your own router if you want). For Bell Hubs, visit http://forums.redflagdeals.com/please-s ... r-1993629/. For Rogers Hitron, visit https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... ridgemodem (CGN3 instructions also apply to CODA-4582).
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 11th, 2019 7:19 am, edited 20 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3278 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:33 am
Well you didn't anyways but thanks.
I specifically mentioned switching proxy servers had you read.

Had you read carefully and followed the steps that were presented to you, you wouldn’t have had the problem. Instead you posted again and wasted my time.

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p30528963
Webslinger wrote:C. Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 21 in the PDF guide). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600, and
RegisterRetryInterval should be 120. If you're using the PDF guide, ensure X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval (page 22) is set to 7200 seconds. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer (refer to pages 14, 20, and 21 of the PDF guide) to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers. If you followed the PDF guide properly, chances are you haven’t been temporarily IP banned and should skip ahead to step D.
That information is also written in the PDF guide that I wrote. If I'm parroting--I'm parroting myself over and over and over again because it needs to be understood.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 10th, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3338 posts
1981 upvotes
Ottawa
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:39 am
I specifically mentioned switching proxy servers had you read.

Had you read carefully and followed the steps that were presented to you, you wouldn’t have had the problem. Instead you posted again and wasted my time.
Look man, I don't pretend to know what your issue is, why you're so rude, and your predisposition to be overtly aggressive with your "assistance"... but I didn't ask for help. I asked if the eservice was down, someone else indicated they had the same issue as me, you chirped in saying the service was up, so I switched my server and the issue was resolved for me.

Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 10th, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3278 upvotes
@TomRFD Please close or delete my account. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1666 posts
156 upvotes
Winnipeg
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:35 pm
That's really nice of you to say. Thank you.
FPL accounts are closed automatically after porting out. You would lose your VoIP unlock key. You would have to fight, really hard, I'd imagine and/or file a complaint with CCTS. I'm only aware of one person who managed to do what you're asking, and based on what that person wrote online it wasn't easy to accomplish.
I usually have to use Google to find something more specific since the thread is huge but, I try reading when I can.
That's what I was thinking, I would maybe just get a number and can always have it forward.
You could by provisioning FPL on a smartphone SIP app, such as Groundwire, with the understanding that, like Fongo Mobile, you'd be far away from Southern Ontario where the servers are located. Like Fongo Mobile, you'd need to use cellular data or WiFi. Using FPL for what you want, to me, is not wise for use on smartphones. Fongo Mobile would be a better choice between the two. I don't really recommend FPL for use on smartphones due to the long registration period (3600 seconds or 1 hour) and the potential for temporary IP bans due to too many registrations within a short period.

The Freephoneline VoIP unlock key is $89.95+ tax.
So they don't just have some kind of device ID, it will also be the IP? So unless you're using openVPN or a VPN with a set server (more jitter) you could get temporarily banned? That could be an issue.
Would it only attempt to re-register every time I make a call?
What if the IP is changing while moving?

Yea, I've been procrastinating for years, I regret not getting it at $50.
There would be no need for you to buy the VoIP unlock key if you're simply parking a number.
Freephoneline has a free desktop app, but that's not what you want.
Fongo Mobile is basically the same service as Freephoneline, except Freephoneline over a wired ethernet connection to a properly configured ATA or IP Phone is far more reliable than Fongo Mobile using cellular data.
I was also looking at is going forward being a permanent number that could always forward to whatever number I may have.
Yea, I was looking at Fongo Mobile which can basically have some SMS capabilities (which you highlighted too). It's tolerant to IP changes and some SMS but, not suitable for being hardwired.
You could. That's $2 USD a month, whereas Fongo Mobile is a one time fee of $25 CAD+tax to port with no ongoing fees. VoIP.ms costs $8.75 USD to port a number and requires a $15 USD minimum deposit as well. If you're not tied to any phone number I'm not sure why you're porting though. If you don't want to keep your number, Fongo Mobile is free to use without having to pay $25+tax.
VoIP.ms does have a lot more servers in different locations, which is an advantage (for lower pings and jitter) when you're traveling.
If they look at server logs, yes. Do they care? No.
I'm not tied to it but, it could make it easier if I keep it. If I travel I'll determine if I want to or not, always the chance I miss someone I meant to give the number to or forget to update something important.
Fongo could have jitter but is free vs better service but I pay a small fee.
Other than jitter, Fongo doesn't do anything server side for where the connection is from (ie having to be in Canada)? Neither does FPL other than the 1 hour limit?
Ah, so it doesn't really matter.
I don't really want to talk about anything other than Freephoneline in the Freephoneline thread, but you may want to look into using Google Hangouts instead (or Google Voice if you can get a real U.S. phone number for account verification) while traveling overseas. Calls using Google Hangouts or Google Voice are free to destinations within Canada and the U.S. And while Google has certain access points (California), they have servers interconnected all over the place. Not very many companies have the resources (and peering arrangements) to compete with Google. Your privacy, on the other hand . . .

You could do that, but you'd be paying for both the inbound minutes and outbound minutes of the forwarded call, unless you pay for a monthly plan with VoIP.ms (and those plans only include inbound minutes--not outbound).
I was looking at GV but didn't bring it up because of that, I'm guessing it can somewhat replace a local VoIP number. I just missed it back in 2012 I think when there was a window.
I wouldn't use voice that much I think so the fee would be reasonable if I did go that route.
You'd be paying for long distance outbound minutes (just as you would with FPL). But you would not be paying for inbound minutes.
https://account.fongo.com/calling/long-distance/
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ifications

You also have to pay to send SMS with Fongo Mobile.
Ah, that international SIM thread is newer than when I compiled some general information. That will be useful. Some other free phone service related stuff I had is no longer current/working.

Say I moved, but a friend/family housed an ATA in Canada, the connection to the server could be great. If it then forwarded to a Canadian number of mine, while traveling internationally, I wouldn't get any international long distance charges, just free or cheap for Canadian calling?
How would the connection be?
If it was Fongo on my phone I assume bad, if it was VoIP, it could be great.

If I had an international number I would incur international rates but the connection would be good?

I'm just thinking of how each provider handles connections.

Ah I just saw you might take a break...
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9414 posts
972 upvotes
GTA
Hey @webslinger. I hope you don't go away because of one poster on here. It is easy for some people to misunderstand tone/etc but you have always been very helpful to me and going above and beyond to help me sort out issues. You will be really missed if you do decide to stop posting here. I know you are doing this without any compensation and just to help out the community so regardless, thanks for your help!
Aug 7, 2010
207 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
I too hope Webslinger doesn't leave. Lotta help provided by that poster.

The PDF guide on its own has been superb! Thanks for all you do!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1091 posts
164 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow. I've been subscribing to this thread for a long time. I was always amazed at how much Webslinger tried to help everyone. I thought he would eventually just stop helping, but I never thought I'd see the day when Webslinger would close his account. :(

@TomRFD If you able to send him an email to him, can you please send him one to thank him for his time and help on my behalf?
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1666 posts
156 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yea, he was a machine. Anytime I popped in I'd see posts from him helping people or people pointing to his posts. Patient too. I can see this thread slowing down or being more questions.