Page 82 of 387

Re: freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Posted: Jan 27th, 2011 9:48 pm
by kuyaxx
mbalgavy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 8:54 pm
yep, $25 for porting ,takes 2-4 weeks (http://www.freephoneline.ca/faq#8).

I do wonder about porting number from one VOIP to another, to a landline, or to a cell - has anyone done it?

Mostly NO for VoIP -> VoIP

Posted: Jan 27th, 2011 10:23 pm
by Arrow
Arrow wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 3:45 pm
Can a phone number assigned by Freephoneline.ca be ported OUT to another provider?

:?:

Posted: Jan 27th, 2011 11:17 pm
by arsamore
Fellow Windsorite here with a 226 number. From my experience you do not need the 1 preceding the number. Also, the caller is not charged long distance. Hope that helps.
hagbard wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 3:49 pm
Got one more question, this is about their Soft phone numbers. If someone calls into the number, are they hit with a long distance charge? I ask because all the number options I was given start with "1". As in 1-226-946-4304

Posted: Jan 30th, 2011 8:34 pm
by Ardenn
I believe you can port a # out of FPL, but you have to have bought the config file.

Posted: Jan 31st, 2011 11:47 am
by romsan04
just switched from voip.ms to freephonline.ca and so far so good. At leas my number does not show up as +00000000000 as with voip.ms

Posted: Jan 31st, 2011 2:18 pm
by agent86
Arrow wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 3:45 pm
Can a phone number assigned by Freephoneline.ca be ported OUT to another provider?
Theoretically, yes. In reality, good luck! I tried porting my FPL number to Fido. No go. FPL rejected the port (would not release the number) three times. The entire process took almost two weeks and in the end I got nothing. Luckily, I ended up getting a very memorable Fido number.

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2011 9:43 am
by fch
If you ported a number to freephoneline, then you can port that number out to any land or cell provider.
You cannot port the number assigned by freephoneline to any other provider.
It is listed on the forum and faq section of thier web site.
That's why they rejected the port out request to Fido, as the number was assigned by FPL.

Hope it makes sense...
agent86 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2011 2:18 pm
Theoretically, yes. In reality, good luck! I tried porting my FPL number to Fido. No go. FPL rejected the port (would not release the number) three times. The entire process took almost two weeks and in the end I got nothing. Luckily, I ended up getting a very memorable Fido number.

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2011 9:57 am
by nguyentri
fch wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2011 9:43 am
If you ported a number to freephoneline, then you can port that number out to any land or cell provider.
Why not?
Is it only because FPL doesn't want to?
Are there any legal requirements for porting numbers?

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2011 10:02 am
by fredsmith
DiceMan wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 12:17 pm
This is an excellent guide to properly distribute VOIP throughout the home. It's extremely thorough and provides all the information you'd need (and then some). I used it to set up my own house.

http://michigantelephone.workbench.net/

For those with alarm systems note the following, taken from that article:

"Please bear in mind that any alarm system that relies solely on your broadband connection for monitoring purposes (whether via a direct IP connection or via a VoIP service) is only as reliable as your broadband service — if your broadband connection (or your VoIP service, if using VoIP) goes down, your system will not be monitored for the duration of the outage."

Also note that the same issue with regard to reliability applies to emergency calls made with your voice telephone.

The Internet simply does not provide a good enough grade of service to be depended upon during emergencies.

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2011 3:54 pm
by agent86
fch wrote:
That's why they rejected the port out request to Fido, as the number was assigned by FPL.

Hope it makes sense...
They cannot reject a port out. That's just like saying Bell rejected my port out because they assigned the number. Unless I have a delinquent or closed account, a provider cannot legally refuse a port. However, they can make it EXTREMELY difficult.

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2011 11:34 pm
by bridonca
agent86 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2011 3:54 pm
They cannot reject a port out. That's just like saying Bell rejected my port out because they assigned the number. Unless I have a delinquent or closed account, a provider cannot legally refuse a port. However, they can make it EXTREMELY difficult.

They can reject a port out a Freephoneline number because of the way Freephoneline acquires it's block of numbers. I believe it is a technical issue, not a competitive issue. You can forward your freephone number for free, so that might be good enough for some purposes.

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2011 11:56 pm
by champlinD
fch wrote:

Hope it makes sense...
I didn't find anything on the web site. Link please...
Only this. "Please remember Freephoneline is a residential service and as such we are unable to port business telephone numbers."

Last year I had same question and FPL Steve said you can port FPL number out. Only question is why would you. You just pay $50 for config file and you have it for Free. But You can post the same question in that forum and Steve will confirm that.

Posted: Feb 3rd, 2011 10:49 am
by dmdsoftware2
bridonca wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2011 11:34 pm
They can reject a port out a Freephoneline number because of the way Freephoneline acquires it's block of numbers. I believe it is a technical issue, not a competitive issue. You can forward your freephone number for free, so that might be good enough for some purposes.

Forwarding won't do the trick. You need to actually use their service periodically.

I have a phone number forwarding to another number and eventually they sent me a notice saying they were discontinuing my service from inactivity. They didn't consider call forwarding as activity.

Posted: Feb 3rd, 2011 11:20 am
by laptop-tech
bridonca wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2011 11:34 pm

I have personally ported out a number FROM FPL to Voip.ms without issues. In their forums everyone keeps saying you cant port out if the numbers was originally assigned by FPL but I did it without any issues at all. Took a screenshot of the control panel (since there is no invoice for the service), sent to voip.ms and in 21 days or so had the number ported over. Done.

Posted: Feb 3rd, 2011 11:32 am
by fch
http://forum.freephoneline.ca/viewtopic ... rting#p647

Check out the link... it clearly states that numbers assigned by FPL cannot be ported out.

If you have ported the number to them, then you can port out the number...

Just a simple search on the thier website forum and you have your answer...