Freezer recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 1:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2006
927 posts
82 upvotes

Freezer recommendations

I'd like to buy an extra freezer as my regular fridge/freezer is getting overly packed thanks to my meal prepping, and I don't have room to stock up on anything. I don't think I should need anything bigger than 5 feet (I live by myself).

Does anyone have recommendations or brands to avoid, and also what's the impact on my electric bill? I usually pay about $30-40/month on electricity.

Thanks!
12 replies
Mar 22, 2017
577 posts
454 upvotes
Are you looking into buying a chest freezer or a standing freezer?

Chest freezers are typically more power efficient since, when opened, the cold air tends to stay in the freezer. Issue with a chest freezer is that it doesn't work well in a kitchen (at least without being an eyesore). They're also easy to find and fairly inexpensive. Electricity is 3 per month or so for a smallish sized one.

If you're looking for a small freezer that stands up, then just don't buy a discount brand.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1442 upvotes
SW Ontario
Woods upright freezer ... they just keep going and going.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2181 posts
742 upvotes
Mississauga
Frigidaire make good freezers. Frigidaire FFFC05M2UW is their 5 cu ft model with a manual defrost. Reviews are relatively good.

I've had a Kelvinator (Frigidaire rebrand) 13 cu ft upright manual defrost for about 7 years. Been problem free which is great in this modern age of disposable appliances. Cost me about $3-4 (~22kWh) a month in electricity.
Last edited by bubuski on Feb 11th, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1442 upvotes
SW Ontario
Where your freezer is located will also be a factor is how it impacts your hydro bill.
We keep ours in the basement, which is generally always kept cooler to start with, than if it was located on the main floor ... especially during the summer months.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9558 upvotes
I'm never buying anything but commercial refrigeration ever again.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2006
927 posts
82 upvotes
Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn’t mention, I’m in an apartment. The freezer will probably go in my “dining” area which I don’t actually use.
I am glad to know it will only impact my hydro bill by a couple bucks.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18727 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:58 pm
You didn't say where the freezer will be kept and it makes a big difference in what can be recommended. Electricity cost will be about one dollar per week. Don't buy anything with the words Danby or Samsung on it. Please provide more info.

Nevertheless you can start your learning here.
What is wrong with Danby? I bought a Danby chest freezer from over Walmart 12 years ago. Recently, the temperature controller failed. I was able to get an oem replacement unit from AMRE for $40. I should be good for another 12 years.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Mar 19, 2013
695 posts
207 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Another vote for Woods upright. Ours is 5’h x 2’w. We have had both, chest and now upright. With a chest we found items literally were buried to the bottom & tended to be forgotten. At times we were throwing out items due to freezer burn or time. With an upright you can easily see everything. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7482 posts
2695 upvotes
Markham
bubuski wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 4:29 pm
Frigidaire make good freezers. Frigidaire FFFC05M2UW is their 5 cu ft model with a manual defrost. Reviews are relatively good.

I've had a Kelvinator (Frigidaire rebrand) 13 cu ft upright manual defrost for about 7 years. Been problem free which is great in this modern age of disposable appliances. Cost me about $3-4 (~22kWh) a month in electricity.
Manual defrost is actually the best thing as there is no freeze thawing of the freezer which destroys your frozen food. It's the reason a lot of people have the old school chest freezers from way back and they continue to use them. The "bad" is you have to periodically defrost it more often (note....you still have to do the defrost thing with the newer frost free units) to get rid of the ice bergs growing in your freezer.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 21, 2017
51 posts
18 upvotes
I just bought a few weeks ago the Frigidaire 5cu/ft model referenced a few posts above. So far so good. Was surprised that it can be used in cold areas which is great since I have it in my cold cellar. Bought it and a foodsaver from Costco online when it was on sale at roughly the same time and things seem to be working out well!

I can also second the recommendation on Woods. When my parents were alive, they had a couple of Woods upright freezers for years and never had any problems.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18727 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:48 am
I have a Danby freezer that is close to 20 years old and still going strong and not a single problem with it. It was manufactured in Ontario. Need I say more?

At one time there were plenty of negative reviews about Danby freezers at Costco.com (or Costco.ca?). But some time ago they all disappeared. I wonder why...

I have a few dead Danby appliances in my basement. Those were purchased in the last 5-8 years.

They don't make things like they used to.

Even worse, companies are 'renting' their names. To give you a single example. Dewalt is a 'big' name. Yet you could spend $1,000+ on a Dewalt gas pressure washer and it will have been made by a company called the FAA Group and the pump by Simpson. Now Simpson pumps are not necessarily the best in the world. Do your research. So much for buying a Dewalt PW, eh?
Totally agree that they don't make them like the way they used to. My parents have a chest freezer that is over 40 years old. It just works and works.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
May 31, 2017
144 posts
21 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:40 am
Manual defrost is actually the best thing as there is no freeze thawing of the freezer which destroys your frozen food. It's the reason a lot of people have the old school chest freezers from way back and they continue to use them. The "bad" is you have to periodically defrost it more often (note....you still have to do the defrost thing with the newer frost free units) to get rid of the ice bergs growing in your freezer.
Really? My parents had an old manual defrost freezer, which was always a pain to defrost, and rather messy. So now that we're planning to get a freezer for us, I want an automatic one, or a frost free one (is there a difference?).
But I had assumed that meant it would work similar to a fridge-freezer-combo where the freezer doesn't have ice build up .. is that not actually the case?

I'm also looking for an upright that is, at most, 57" high, which is proving to be an extremely difficult height to find with auto-defrost. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!