Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10432 posts
964 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK

Freezerless fridge

Looking for a second fridge, but with no freezer. We used to have one before we moved, but it was huge and 30 years old, so we sold it. We knew we would need one, but have finally settled in

I would say something around 16 cubic feet inside. We do find we miss it for storage of meals made for the week, Costco runs and beer.

Whats a good brand or model, Ive never had to shop for them before. Want to keep it under $1000 as well

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20095 posts
6229 upvotes
I'm blowing both your metrics (size and price) but I for one wouldn't buy anything but a commercial fridge from now on.

I bought one of these:

Managed to snag it for $800 brand new.
Prices are usually higher than this though.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10432 posts
964 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 4:00 pm
I'm blowing both your metrics (size and price) but I for one wouldn't buy anything but a commercial fridge from now on.

I bought one of these:

Managed to snag it for $800 brand new.
Prices are usually higher than this though.
How big is it? Where did you "snag" it from

Also, a downvote, for asking a question. ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20095 posts
6229 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 4:03 pm
How big is it?
Here's the full specs:
http://www.us-refrig.com/wp-content/upl ... 0/usbv.pdf
The big one is 84" height. This won't fit through most residential doors (80") so if it's going inside, make sure you can tip it sufficiently.
Where did you "snag" it from
Auction. Regular retail is going to be much higher, depending on brand.

Also, a downvote, for asking a question. ?
I swear there's a team of people downvoting every post.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10432 posts
964 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 4:12 pm
Here's the full specs:
http://www.us-refrig.com/wp-content/upl ... 0/usbv.pdf
The big one is 84" height. This won't fit through most residential doors (80") so if it's going inside, make sure you can tip it sufficiently.

Auction. Regular retail is going to be much higher, depending on brand.

I swear there's a team of people downvoting every post.
This one will be in the garage. But probably to big as we had a garage size downgrade.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20095 posts
6229 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 7:32 pm
Costco has all sorts of commercial refrigerators.
Man... that True was like $1800 2 or 3 years ago.
Still worth it since they're bullet proof and have parts readily available to repair, but still.
Not for OP obviously with a $1000 budget. Even 2nd hand they're like $1500-2000 depending.

They'd have to probably go with a different brand if they want commercial.
Otherwise it's residential crap.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10432 posts
964 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 7:48 pm
Man... that True was like $1800 2 or 3 years ago.
Still worth it since they're bullet proof and have parts readily available to repair, but still.
Not for OP obviously with a $1000 budget. Even 2nd hand they're like $1500-2000 depending.

They'd have to probably go with a different brand if they want commercial.
Otherwise it's residential crap.
But I have no commercial stuff in my kitchen, why do I need one for a secondary fridge in the garage? My last fridge was residential and I have no idea how old it was
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20095 posts
6229 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 8:32 pm
But I have no commercial stuff in my kitchen, why do I need one for a secondary fridge in the garage? My last fridge was residential and I have no idea how old it was
I've never met a consumer fridge I've liked.
Full of plastic that breaks, shelves in weird positions, seals that don't actually seal, random stuff falls off, etc.

The interior of a commercial fridge is about as bare as you're going to get.
4 wire shelves and that's it.
It holds a ton of weight compared to all my busted plastic in my old fridge.

Plus there's a *GASP* thermometer so you actually know what temperature it is. AND! It actually maintains said temperature.
My door caught on my fire extinguisher handle a couple days ago and was slightly ajar. The fridge maintained temp.
I stuff one too many things on a shelf with a residential fridge and the thing is room temperature in an hour.

I don't need my fridge to be smart. I need it to keep cool and hold stuff.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I for one would never buy a consumer fridge or freezer ever again.
I missed having ice, but I bought an ice maker.
It's even better because now my ice doesn't taste like freezer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5501 posts
2295 upvotes
Paris
I searched for a residential all fridge after my 10-12 cubic foot Danby died. All I found was expensive crap built for a home for 1800 bucks. I gave up and have the side by side my parents bought in 1989.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
10432 posts
964 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Jerico wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 10:15 pm
I searched for a residential all fridge after my 10-12 cubic foot Danby died. All I found was expensive crap built for a home for 1800 bucks. I gave up and have the side by side my parents bought in 1989.
Found a Frididaire for $850, with about 16 cubic feet. Seems the be the normal price on all the site. Costco has some, but they are small at 8 or 11 cubic feet