Parenting & Family

French Immersion to French School (100% French)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2018 8:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
4 posts
Markham

French Immersion to French School (100% French)

I'd like to get some feedback, experience or anything in between from non-francophone parents who moved their child from French Immersion to French School (100% French).
10 replies
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
4 posts
Markham
JHW wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 8:50 pm
If you're referring to the French Public board, it's really for Francophone families. Does your family meet one of the criteria listed here? https://csviamonde.ca/inscription/qui-p ... os-ecoles/

It's not only for Francophone families but it's the main requirement. If that condition is not met, the candidate will go through what they call "Admissions Committee”. Candidate must pass verbal and written tests. If the results are deemed adequate and have proven to provide support at home, the principal will convene an admissions committee.

We’ve completed all of these stages. My child passed both oral and written tests with flying colors. He will start in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to get some feedback from non-francophone parents who moved their child from French Immersion to French School perhaps would like to hear how their child transitioned… how long it took them to adjust… any feedback that might help…
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
4 posts
Markham
webworm wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 9:05 pm
All my 3 kids graduated from the French Catholic School Board. One parent must have gone through the French school system in order to send your child there.
https://www.cscmonavenir.ca/english/how-to-register/
It's not only for Francophone families but it's the main requirement. If that condition is not met, the candidate will go through what they call "Admissions Committee”. Candidate must pass verbal and written tests. If the results are deemed adequate and have proven to provide support at home, the principal will convene an admissions committee.

We’ve completed all of these stages. My child passed both oral and written tests with flying colors. He will start in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to get some feedback from non-francophone parents who moved their child from French Immersion to French School perhaps would like to hear how their child transitioned… how long it took them to adjust… any feedback that might help…
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3630 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
JoniH16428 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:32 pm
I'd be interested to learn more about this too. I wouldn't think there are many families out there who fall in this category, given that French Immersion is designed to be second-language instruction and the French system is based on first-language fluency. Perhaps your new principal can connect you with other parents in a similar situation to yours.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10090 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
JHW wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 1:39 pm
I'd be interested to learn more about this too. I wouldn't think there are many families out there who fall in this category, given that French Immersion is designed to be second-language instruction and the French system is based on first-language fluency. Perhaps your new principal can connect you with other parents in a similar situation to yours.
My sister-in-law transferred their JK daughter this Sept after the first week after the french immersion in her original school, the teacher quit (there's a known shortage across everywhere in this country).

The father is 'half' French Canadian. But really, the admissions is like an MBA.. it's largely arbitrary. They just want to make sure the parents aren't crazy or something, or that out to lunch providing no support.

Another requirement is going to French Daycare/Pre-school for I think a minimum of 9 months or something like that. So any test to the kid, is pretty easy if they learn it in daycare.

It's still too early to know. They know another family who went the French Daycare route, so both parents aren't fluent at all. They did warn that all the communication is in French, so it will be very tough for any parent who doesn't know. Sister-in-law's husband will be expected to do most of the school stuff. I inquired what the drop out rate was, but wasn't able to get an answer for that school. There are some real Francophone parents that may have some sort of clique, but really, there are an abundant 'non-Francophone' parents.

The good thing is there are no english streams to entice them, or make friends and then want to transfer out of the FI stream. My co-worker, who went to an FI said everybody in her program spoke english, and it was considered embarrassing to speak french. There won't be that problem in an all French school.
May 12, 2009
735 posts
304 upvotes
We got in through committee. We're with Viamonde. We're very happy with their education. We rarely speak french at home - I do bust it out when disciplining or discussing school - but the kids are all fluent. My youngest has picked up a wicked Quebecois accent but hopefully that will soften. The families joke that it's like a private school without fees. If you are committed to having bilingual (or trilingual) kids, go for it.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
4 posts
Markham
pimom wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 5:35 am
We got in through committee. We're with Viamonde. We're very happy with their education. We rarely speak french at home - I do bust it out when disciplining or discussing school - but the kids are all fluent. My youngest has picked up a wicked Quebecois accent but hopefully that will soften. The families joke that it's like a private school without fees. If you are committed to having bilingual (or trilingual) kids, go for it.
Thank you for the information! Are any of you a francophone parent? Which grade are they in if you don't mind me asking. Feel free to PM me as well. I would love to hear more from you.
May 12, 2009
735 posts
304 upvotes
I am fully bilingual but not francophone - thus getting in through committee. My spouse only had basic french, but he's come a long way. 2 kids started in Garderie, but the oldest started in Jardin - they gave her a lot of support to get up to speed and it was a quick process. There are lots of other non-francophone families, but you do have to commit to supporting French. Many of the staff speak no English and all communication with parents is in French. The classroom sizes are small, and the teachers at our school anyway are very progressive and motivated. The flip side is that the school itself is small so there are few extracurricular activities offered through the school, and often your kids' friends will live far away.
Jul 22, 2015
43 posts
6 upvotes
Toroq, ON
This has been very informative- thank you.

I have a french school very close to us but we are not a French speaking family. I was always planning to put my child in French immersion but I wonder if this school might be an option.

As for the committee, if my child hasn’t attended a French daycare, etc - would it be next to impossible s for her to join JK?

Is there any tips that we can do now to engage her to provide the foundation to start at the junior kindergarten level in the French school and eventually impress the committee?