Fresh Water Tropical Fish Aquarium Question

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 5:36 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1042 posts
56 upvotes
Beamsville
Go on youtube and search for beginner aquarium plants, lot's of info on there. I'm in the middle of cleaning up my 30 gallon tank to reseal it and I plan to go the live plant route once I get her up and running again.
Jan 16, 2007
553 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
My best advice is to make sure the aquarium has no direct sunlight, don't over feed and do frequent 10-20% water changes. Doing those 3 things alone will keep your tank spotless.

As for live plants, you're just adding an extra factor for things to go wrong. Plants needs to be cared for, just like your fish. They are not there to do your cleanup job for you.
Aug 16, 2011
788 posts
205 upvotes
Kitchener
Dave98 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 3:07 pm
I disagree about staying away from live plants. Having a good substrate​ and good lighting is already good enough for a decent low tech tank. There are lots of beginner plants like anubias, crypts, mosses, water sprite, wisteria, etc that will do just fine that environment.

Obviously, they will do even better with co2 and more experience but plants like those can still do pretty well.
agreed, as long as you get low light, easy plants there shouldn't be an issue. Plants do need to be cared for, however easy beginner plants in a low light tank don't need a heck of a lot (i have moss growing in a tank that gets only a few hours of indirect light haha). Check out the planted tank forum for more info.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
3693 posts
338 upvotes
plants are great but then you have to quarantine them or limit yourself to a variety of fish that wont eat them.

aquaponics is the best solution if you want plants!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel