• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 10:24 am
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
851 posts
823 upvotes
NoWynne2018 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 7:01 pm
Thanks. If anyone has the Loblaws flyer on their phone or in print, don't forget about Giant Tiger, Food Basics, RCSS or No Frills. Even though RCSS and No Frills are part of the parent company (Loblaws), they may allow the price match. YMMV

$2.77 eggs are also at Zehrs and Your Independent Grocer. Again YMMV
My local No Frills only matches Valumart out of Loblaws owned brands, but does not match Loblaws, Zehrs, or RCSS because none are nearby.

At least for Zehrs, the $2.77 eggs are in the weekly flyer, although I have not seen a flyer for Independent Grocers.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
3709 posts
1356 upvotes
M-Arkham
I usually just grab a carton from the weekly shopperdrugmart Sat or Sun deal of 1.88 or !.99
2x Zoomer $36 for 4GB and unlimited Can wide txt/talk
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide Pulse
Mar 6, 2005
447 posts
83 upvotes
This info will be useful weeks later if you bought too much and forgotten about it.

How to Tell if Your 'Expired' Eggs Are Still Good to Eat
Just fill a bowl with cold water and place your eggs in the bowl. If they sink to the bottom and lay flat on their sides, they're very fresh. If they're a few weeks old but still good to eat, they'll stand on one end at the bottom of the bowl. If they float to the surface, they're no longer fresh enough to eat.

This is because as an egg ages, the small air pocket inside it grows larger as water is released and replaced by air. If the air pocket becomes large enough, the egg may float.
Jul 2, 2014
370 posts
92 upvotes
Maple, ON
DNAv5 wrote:
May 25th, 2019 5:38 am
This info will be useful weeks later if you bought too much and forgotten about it.

How to Tell if Your 'Expired' Eggs Are Still Good to Eat
Just fill a bowl with cold water and place your eggs in the bowl. If they sink to the bottom and lay flat on their sides, they're very fresh. If they're a few weeks old but still good to eat, they'll stand on one end at the bottom of the bowl. If they float to the surface, they're no longer fresh enough to eat.

This is because as an egg ages, the small air pocket inside it grows larger as water is released and replaced by air. If the air pocket becomes large enough, the egg may float.
Thanks. I always heard people talking about eggs sinking or floating to tell if they were fresh or bad but never bothered to actually look it up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8137 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 6:42 pm
Foodland, Freshco, Loblaws, or Walmart? I'm not famailiar with that area and which brand of stores are near that intersection.

Either way, here's what you can do to get the $2.77 price. Some stores offer rainchecks for getting the sale price at a later time.
If you're near that one Walmart location that was mentioned earlier (Mississauga Erin Mills), you can get them for $2.50 if they have stock.

An alternative would be to order online from order from walnart.ca ($50 minimun order) and ad match Loblaw's $2.77 price. Walmart's online ordering offers pick up from store parking lot, or delivery in some locations. If Walmart is out-of-stock for online ordering, they'll probably give you some other type of eggs (maybe XL or different brand) for the same price.
Sorry, should have mentioned Freshco.
There is a Walmart over at Keele and Finch.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1842 posts
5972 upvotes
Stock is dwindling if these are in your area might be worth picking up.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 11.08.02.png
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7156 posts
3357 upvotes
North York
Thanks OP! Passed by FreshCo @ Midland/Lawrence and purchased a box of Gray Ridge.
Burnbrae Farms brand is also supposedly on sale but none in sight.
Tons left when we were there around 6pm. Didn't bother PM'ing for a few cents.
Nov 20, 2009
837 posts
418 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
I always thought "large" eggs seemed smaller than I remember from my youth. I looked up the minimum size for large eggs in Canada and it is 56 grams. I then weighed the eggs in two cartons and they were all exactly 56 grams (or half a gram more). Now, it is not possible to train hens to lay exactly 56 gram eggs so the eggs are sorted to meet the absolute minimum of whatever size carton they're packed in. Years ago we used to get cartons with varying size eggs, some with double yolks. Nowadays, never.

I assume that eggs that fall in the middle of any size, weight-wise, are used for other end-uses.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
851 posts
823 upvotes
RSole wrote:
May 26th, 2019 9:35 am
I always thought "large" eggs seemed smaller than I remember from my youth. I looked up the minimum size for large eggs in Canada and it is 56 grams. I then weighed the eggs in two cartons and they were all exactly 56 grams (or half a gram more). Now, it is not possible to train hens to lay exactly 56 gram eggs so the eggs are sorted to meet the absolute minimum of whatever size carton they're packed in. Years ago we used to get cartons with varying size eggs, some with double yolks. Nowadays, never.

I assume that eggs that fall in the middle of any size, weight-wise, are used for other end-uses.
I still get the occassional egg that looks bigger or doesn't fit in the carton properly because of the shape. The weights are a minimum. If the eggs qualifies as a higher category, it will get sold as the more expensive weight. For XL eggs, I still sometimes get double yolk. I've purchased Gray Ridge Jumbos before and mulitple cartons were all double and triple yolked.