Home & Garden

Fridge/freezer combo where freezer has more space ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2022 7:21 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario

Fridge/freezer combo where freezer has more space ?

Are there any uprights that have lets say 3/4 freezer and 1/4 fridge ?
I'm gonna need to get rid of our current big chest freezer and small fridge, and grab one thing for smaller footprint.
Don't use much of a fridge, maybe a shelf or two, but I do need it, hence I can't just get upright freezer.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
I was wondering about this too. Wonder if they have something 50/50 split
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Some Samsung french door fridges have a convertible mid drawer that can be a freezer. For example:

LINK

That might be 50/50 at best, however. I've never seen one where it's a majority for a freezer. in fact, there are many "all refrigerators" and ones where the freezer section can change to a fridge to make them all fridges. Most people usually need more fridge space than frozen and stick a chest or upright freezer in the basement if they need more freezer space. You only need one shelf for fridge space? i guess you don't really cook?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
jm1 wrote: You only need one shelf for fridge space? i guess you don't really cook?
No this is extra for basement fridge/freezer storsage for basement.
We always have a lot of frozen food, I make batches and freeze for quick dinners/lunches.
However fridge only gets 1-2 shelves full, 3-4 triple bags of milk, meat, cakes, condiments, etc..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7088 upvotes
Mississauga
May be better to buy a small chest freezer.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: Some Samsung french door fridges have a convertible mid drawer that can be a freezer. For example:

LINK

That might be 50/50 at best, however. I've never seen one where it's a majority for a freezer. in fact, there are many "all refrigerators" and ones where the freezer section can change to a fridge to make them all fridges. Most people usually need more fridge space than frozen and stick a chest or upright freezer in the basement if they need more freezer space. You only need one shelf for fridge space? i guess you don't really cook?
I have this one. Same idea in a 4 door design.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-applian ... 9011sr-aa/

Again, not more freezer than fridge though.

We use it the opposite way. Three compartments are fridge and one small freezer compartment.

If you really want secondary freezer OP, I’d suggest a chest freezer to reduce freezer burn.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EugW wrote: I have this one. Same idea in a 4 door design.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-applian ... 9011sr-aa/

Again, not more freezer than fridge though.

We use it the opposite way. Three compartments are fridge and one small freezer compartment.

If you really want secondary freezer OP, I’d suggest a chest freezer to reduce freezer burn.
Ah, a fellow RF23J9011SR member. We just got this a month ago. Loving it. The bottom right compartment for us is a fridge compartment, we're teaching our 3 y.o. how to properly use it.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1810 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote: I was wondering about this too. Wonder if they have something 50/50 split
currently have this setup at home, since i bought my house pre-constructed. it's been an eye catcher for all my visitors.

this combo can be had $3500 or lower (cheaper price than the other 36" highend samsung/LG/kitchenaid/etc) , and usually when you buy the combo you can get the TRIM KIT free. however this requires (2) individual circuit 20A preferred.

edit: The picture shown is a Electrolux brand, Whirlpool has a smaller one for less price, i believe Frigidaire Pro has one too.

cheers~
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Oh I'm looking for a second one for the basement. We have the Samsung one upstairs but I want an upright fridge/freezer. We have more freezer stuff than perishables to keep in an extra fridge. But still want extra fridge space when parties and such to store milk drinks etc... no space for chest
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
aquariaguy wrote: Oh I'm looking for a second one for the basement. We have the Samsung one upstairs but I want an upright fridge/freezer. We have more freezer stuff than perishables to keep in an extra fridge. But still want extra fridge space when parties and such to store milk drinks etc... no space for chest
I guess we have to find upright with as much freezer % to fridge as we can.
For me I'm looking for a simple one, maybe something around $1000, as it's just for extra storage.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2588 posts
2052 upvotes
Clarington
toyopl wrote: I guess we have to find upright with as much freezer % to fridge as we can.
For me I'm looking for a simple one, maybe something around $1000, as it's just for extra storage.
Why not just buy an mini-fridge and a mini-freezer and then stack them (and secure them of course).

Bar fridges and freezers cost $200-$300 each and you can find matching ones of various cubic feet.
Banned
Sep 30, 2019
1 posts
I purchased Midea WHS-65LB1[removed] it is compact single reversible door refrigerator and freezer it has features digital control, easy-to-adjust thermostat, adjustable leg, energy saving mode, separate compartment. It has 1.6 Cu. Maybe it fulfill your freezing requirements.It can be easily be used in a medium-size home.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 5th, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed spam link
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5380 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
If this is secondary storage in the basement, just get an upright freezer and call it a day. You clearly don't need more fridge space, and you won't find a 'reverse fridge' for your kitchen where most of the space is freezer. Never seen one.

Then if you need drink storage in the basement, get a nice bar fridge or one of those wine fridges with the clear door on it. Put it out in the living space for parties etc.

I have a small 8 cu ft Danby upright freezer in our back hall to augment our 21 cu ft fridge in the kitchen. Holds plenty, doesn't use much power and the upright form factor is 1000x easier to use than a chest freezer.
Jul 4, 2019
49 posts
13 upvotes
i think its better to get a chest freezer, if i remember correctly, chest freezer saves money too as it is more efficient
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
This thread is old but when looked into it there was 1 50/50 split and it was 3x the price of a basic fridge and basic freezer as seperate units. By basic I mean 12-18 cubic feet each. In fact I found anything under 18 feet and over 10 in a fridge and basic configuration to be the same price. Under 18 but bigger than a bar fridge (max 7 cubic feet) and you were paying extra for the footprint.
Jan 9, 2020
1 posts
We had one...but it's life ended today after 16 years. It was the Gladiator GarageWorks frig/freezer combo, made by whirlpool. Was very disappointed to learn that Whirlpool discontinued this model and now only makes two separate full size (17 cu ft) units -- one refrigerator and one freezer -- in the Gladiator line, which is made specifically to function well in a garage where temperatures range from 10 to over 100 F. Maybe if Whirlpool gets enough people writing them to reintroduce the combo unit, they'll start making it again? Our retailer, Abt Appliance & Electronics, said it was a huge loss to them when Whirlpool dropped this model, as they use to sell them out as they arrived. This was the model (bottom was freezer, top was frig): https://www.amazon.com/gladiator-garage ... b000uw0hl0
Feb 27, 2007
648 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
I'm looking for fridge with bigger freezer space, 24" width preferred, 30" if not possible.

Within the 24" width category, believe the biggest freezer space is only ~3.5 cu. feet. Any better option? Else, what is the biggest freezer space in regular 30" fridge?

Thx in advance!
Jul 31, 2020
1 posts
We had the Gladiator GarageWorks for nearly 20 years and ours just died today! We loved this unit and were disappointed to find they discontinued this line. Loved that the freezer was larger than the frig and could convert the frig to a freezer. I cannot believe more manufacturers don't make a unit like this!
Nov 7, 2022
1 posts
I'm looking for meat freezer for hunting meat and a small fridge area where I can dry brine or dry age without having open meat
in the regular fridge