Fridge freezing food

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 11:42 am
[OP]
Apr 25, 2004
106 posts
1 upvote

Fridge freezing food

I have a Samsung fridge (I know that was my first mistake) and it is freezing all the food inside. It is only 5 years old. I have changed both temp sensors and nothing. It is a French door with the water dispenser. Has anyone experienced this or any solutions before I throw this in the garbage and get a new one.
9 replies
Aug 25, 2006
179 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I got a new kitchenaid doing the same thing. French door model.

Even with the temp set to 48F on the controls and reading 48F as the actual temp (per the digital temp display) an actual old school mercury thermometer I put inside the fridge reads 32F. Fridge also sounds like a truck when the compressor kicks on.

O well worked fine for first 2 months and here we are LOL

Got a warranty repair guy coming over tomorrow morning to diagnosis. Wait and see I guess.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
623 upvotes
London
Do you have it too full or stuffed with things at the back?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3684 posts
2545 upvotes
Many fridges have a single set of cooling coils for both the fridge and the freezer, and just use an airflow damper to control the amount of cold air that circulates between compartments to adjust the relative temperature. If that duct gets blocked, it can cause the temperature to drop below normal in one compartment as the system struggles to cool the other compartment without enough airflow. Some fridges cool the freezer directly and use airflow to cool the main compartment, some do it the other way around. So it's possible that the duct is blocked and your fridge is trying to keep the freezer cool with an anemic airflow that requires it to lower the temperature of the main compartment far below the setting.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9689 posts
8666 upvotes
Oakville
Completely empty and clean your fridge and see if it still happens.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2004
106 posts
1 upvote
I have defrosted it a couple of times. It has a twin cooling system so it's separate for the freezer and fridge.

@dbracer can you please keep me posted on what he finds.

I have called a few guys and none of them seemed too confident in knowing about the issue so basically a trial and error deal $$$$$
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1466 posts
514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
To add to other diagnoses, there is also the possibility of the flapper door between the two compartments being frozen (due to frost/frozen moisture accumulation). This could be due to leakages in the door or doors being open for too long.

One advantage of Sub-Zeros is they have separate freezer and fridge cooling systems so this should never happen. You ca have a separate fridge and freeer to replicate this at a lot lower cost.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4251 posts
466 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Our samsung did the same thing, but as well water under crispers.

Fixed ours in 30 minutes by doing cooper wire fix, google " samsung copper wire fix" almost 2 years so far and no freezing or water dripping
[OP]
Apr 25, 2004
106 posts
1 upvote
yea the funny thing is ...my drain part is not frozen at all and I don't have any water under the drawers. When I open the back panel I have some ice on top of the Styrofoam but nothing crazy.
Aug 25, 2006
179 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
khiz wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 11:36 am
@dbracer can you please keep me posted on what he finds.
He found motor controlling the flap between fridge and freezer compartments that regulates temp between the two areas to be defective. Wouldn't open and close freely... would bind or stick causing motor to grind away. Should normally take a couple of seconds to open and close but mine was grinding away for several minutes non stop and essentially leaving the flap open all the time resulting in crazy cold temps in fridge compartment. Parts on order. He'll come back to install when they come in.