• Jun 7th, 2008 7:37 am
Tags:
None
Jan 31, 2006
178 posts
7 upvotes

Fridge Knocking?

Hi,

I have a Kenmore fridge that is probably 5 years old (came with the condo). It makes this terrible knocking sound every hour or so and it can get loud. Soundsl like somebody banging inside my fridge. Any ideas?

From what I can google it seems that the washers holding the compressor in place may be busted, but I wanted to goet some RFD insight before I tear it apart tonight to take a look.

Will post pics if succesful.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
pooyaj wrote:
Jun 5th, 2008 10:20 am
Hi,

I have a Kenmore fridge that is probably 5 years old (came with the condo). It makes this terrible knocking sound every hour or so and it can get loud. Soundsl like somebody banging inside my fridge. Any ideas?

From what I can google it seems that the washers holding the compressor in place may be busted, but I wanted to goet some RFD insight before I tear it apart tonight to take a look.

Will post pics if succesful.
If I'm not mistaken, inside the compressor is a piston. Usually any knocking sound happens when the compressor is running or towards the end of the compressor cycle.

sk
[OP]
Jan 31, 2006
178 posts
7 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:
Jun 5th, 2008 10:33 am
If I'm not mistaken, inside the compressor is a piston. Usually any knocking sound happens when the compressor is running or towards the end of the compressor cycle.

sk
Does this meanI am SOL and either have to buy a new fridge or compressor?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
pooyaj wrote:
Jun 5th, 2008 11:03 am
Does this meanI am SOL and either have to buy a new fridge or compressor?
If I were you go on google as there is a website for electronics/appliance repair and describe/ask your question there. I would definitely get a second or even a third opinion b4 you go out and buy a new fridge!!!!!

sk
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
I think my fridge has the same problem, it makes this *ponk!* sound every so often. A little loud, but not loud enough to disturb me, and it's done it for at least the past three years since we moved in, with no other adverse effects. It's about 6 years old.

Haven't worried about it too much, but always wondered what it was....
Sep 4, 2005
843 posts
15 upvotes
I had this issue with a fridge I owned years ago... This may not be your exact problem, but the compressor is housed inside a sealed cannister. It is actually mounted on top of 3 (or more) springs.. so when its doing its job, it is quieter...

Ever been told not to tilt a refridgerator / bang it when moving? Why? You can knock the compressor off its springs.. this is likely what is causing your noise.. In your case, it could simply be age and a spring has broken, worn, or the compressor simply vibrated its way off them..
Nov 15, 2004
81 posts
Guelph
We have the same knock with our Kenmore fridge and we had them come and look at it and my wife was told that it is normal. It sounds nothing like a normal sound that I have ever heard any other fridge make but I guess I'm not an expert. The fridge works fine despite the noise so I just try to ignore it and carry on!
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
9 upvotes
KELOWNA
Take a look on http://fixitnow.com/refrigerator-repair-faq/ and scroll down. There is quite a long list of issues and a few related to noise.

This is something you need to figure out. My mom's fridge (about 10 yrs old) started making some strange noises at one point and she was told it was a warning ("buy a new fridge'). Sure enough....one day no noise at all, nothing.
Sep 20, 2005
403 posts
12 upvotes
I have a frigidaire and I hear the odd knock. It turns out it is the Ice-maker refilling and the knock happens when the water stops filling the tray
× < >