Home & Garden

fridge stopped working, worth repairing?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 6:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
562 posts
89 upvotes

fridge stopped working, worth repairing?

I have a Samsung 4 door fridge. It toally stopped working on boxing day. It's have more than 4 days.

I tried everything. unplug, waited for more than 36 hours. I even checked and found no ice...seems some parts broke down there? Any repairman recommendation? I am in Stouffville.

How does a repairman charge? I asked one store they charge $70 for visiting. But it can be included in the repair fees if I want them to repair. My concern is what if it costs me hundreds for them to diagnose? That means I will pay hundreds to know if I buy a new one or repair before I even actually start anything. wow.

Buying a new one this kind would cost 2500 dollars at least including tax+delivery. I am scratching my head now.
44 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1042 posts
394 upvotes
York Region
What stopped working? No power or doesn't cool? Look up your model name and see the most common issues and judge if it is worth fixing. If you dont't know where to start, you will need to call a repairman and go from there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7489 posts
1728 upvotes
Mississauga
supermike wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:04 pm
I have a Samsung 4 door fridge. It toally stopped working on boxing day. It's have more than 4 days.

I tried everything. unplug, waited for more than 36 hours. I even checked and found no ice...seems some parts broke down there? Any repairman recommendation? I am in Stouffville.

How does a repairman charge? I asked one store they charge $70 for visiting. But it can be included in the repair fees if I want them to repair. My concern is what if it costs me hundreds for them to diagnose? That means I will pay hundreds to know if I buy a new one or repair before I even actually start anything. wow.

Buying a new one this kind would cost 2500 dollars at least including tax+delivery. I am scratching my head now.
How old is the fridge? Go online and see how well the fridge is rated and the life expectancy. Then do the math.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
562 posts
89 upvotes
bacalhau4me wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:32 pm
What stopped working? No power or doesn't cool? Look up your model name and see the most common issues and judge if it is worth fixing. If you dont't know where to start, you will need to call a repairman and go from there.
everything stopped working. Both freezer and fridge. not working at all. It keeps room temp. I googled and youtubed a lot. and checked the ice in the freezer. No error code on the display. The model is discontinued now. It is Samsung rf4287hars 2010.

Is a 8-year fridge worth repairing? Googled a lot those days. The reviews of samsung refrigerators are shocking. They don't seem to last long. Many of them just stopping working or cooling under 10 years
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3815 posts
1112 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there any power on the fridge? For example, does the light come on when you open the door?

I hate to say it but 8 years is getting close to the end of the life for some fridges these days but yours is a fairly nice model. To answer your question "is it worth it to repair", the answer for me is that it depends. If the rest of the fridge is in excellent condition - nothing is chipped or broken, the exterior is not scratched or dented - and the fridge's size and features still meet your needs, I would say that the answer is yes, it is totally worth at least a service call - but do yourself a favour and get somebody recommended by Samsung who knows Samsung, etc - and isn't going to ad-lib the job.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
1964 posts
211 upvotes
supermike wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:51 pm
everything stopped working. Both freezer and fridge. not working at all. It keeps room temp. I googled and youtubed a lot. and checked the ice in the freezer. No error code on the display. The model is discontinued now. It is Samsung rf4287hars 2010.

Is a 8-year fridge worth repairing? Googled a lot those days. The reviews of samsung refrigerators are shocking. They don't seem to last long. Many of them just stopping working or cooling under 10 years
Perhaps you've already answered your own question.

What others had mentioned was what exactly stopped working? Compressor still running? Not running?

If you cant determine that, best to call someone in.
Nov 1, 2001
494 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
supermike wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:51 pm

8 years is pretty old. i had a 4 year old one, and the fridge would not work, and the freezer would not work. i defrosted it and left it open for 2 whole days. then replugged and it worked.. until the next power outage. my issue was the frost build up in freeezer but it always happened ruing power outages
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7692 posts
2070 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 7:06 pm
8 years is pretty old. i had a 4 year old one, and the fridge would not work, and the freezer would not work. i defrosted it and left it open for 2 whole days. then replugged and it worked.. until the next power outage. my issue was the frost build up in freeezer but it always happened ruing power outages
Ridiculous. Not that old at all now to fix or not is another matter and would depend on what's wrong with it.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I stopped reading after Samsung

They are the worse fridges on the market. My guess is the computer is gone, and it will cost your ~$500 to order the part and have a technician replace it. Compressors don't go bad this quickly.

I would replace the fridge just on principal. Don't buy Samsung
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11422 upvotes
Oakville
It's a Samsung, so you got good life out of it as they don't have the best reliability.
Have you been regularly cleaning the coils?
Parts are apparently very hard to find, so yet another reason to buy new. There should be some good deals on right now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6163 posts
2504 upvotes
Alberta
Gee wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 7:13 pm
I stopped reading after Samsung

They are the worse fridges on the market. My guess is the computer is gone, and it will cost your ~$500 to order the part and have a technician replace it. Compressors don't go bad this quickly.

I would replace the fridge just on principal. Don't buy Samsung
Not just fridges but all their appliances are crap. My Whirlpool is 23 years old and never had to fix it yet.
Apr 28, 2013
179 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
My parents had a Kenmore fridge (6ish years old) suddenly stop working. After some googling we found out it was most likely the control board, so we bought a new one for $250 and installed it ourselves in 10 minutes.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 7:44 pm
Not just fridges but all their appliances are crap.
I have not owned a Samsung fridge, but I help my neighbour repair his.

I owned a Samsung washer and dryer set and it was crap. I won't even buy their televisions now
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8587 posts
1623 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
A repair should cost less than a new fridge. The problem is deciding if it is worth it or if you would rather get a new fridge.

I have to echo others here about Samsung appliances. We have one as well and I have to take the panel off in the fridge a few times per year to defrost. A known issue and they could care less. It was only a couple of years old when it started.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
OP hasn't answered the basic question of whether the compressor is running. If it is, and the display doesn't show any error codes when you run the diagnostic (look up the button sequence to trigger a diagnostic check), then with a Samsung fridge it's usually one of 3 things:

1. Ice blockage in the freezer drain line due to the poor design. It can take a couple of days unplugged with the door open to clear the blockage. Samsung made a replacement part for the drain tube to reduce the problem.

2. Stupid little radiator underneath the fridge is no longer working. Either it's completely blocked up with dust bunnies, or the fan that's supposed to blow air through it has stopped, or it has just rusted out due to moisture accumulation and poor ventilation. I've seen some repair services fix this problem by removing the stock Samsung radiator and putting a traditional exposed radiator on the back of the fridge.

3. Freon leaked out of a hole in the cooling system. See (2) above re rusted-out radiator. Can be repaired by finding the hole, replacing the part that leaked, and re-charging the freon.

Don't buy Samsung fridges. They have a short problem-plagued lifespan, and have poor repair support because nobody wants to touch them.