None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga

Friend bringing gift from US into Canada

If a friend drives up through the border, he obviously has to declare what he has. If he is going to give it as a gift, does he have to pay tax or something on it? I don't see how that would make sense, but then again, Americans would be able to bring in tons of stuff tax free. Is there a limit of the $60 per gift? Anything over you pay taxes on? It is a few perishable products, not banned or illegal, just wondering. Thanks
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
12 replies
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yes he will have to declare them when entering Canada. The process and questions he receives at the border will be similar to what Canadians get at the US border. He needs to leave them unwrapped for ease at the border as well...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
CSK'sMom wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:04 pm
Yes he will have to declare them when entering Canada. The process and questions he receives at the border will be similar to what Canadians get at the US border. He needs to leave them unwrapped for ease at the border as well...

So what determines if he has to pay tax/duty on the items? What if he says they are his and he is going to be bringing them back with him.
arisk wrote:
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
He will specifically be asked if he's leaving anything in Canada, just like we are when entering the US. It's in his best interest to answer truthfully if he ever wants to enter Canada again, let alone actually get into Canada and not deported on the spot. ;) As you say it's perishable items, I'll assume food of some kind which isn't taxable or have duty generally....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
CSK'sMom wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:14 pm
He will specifically be asked if he's leaving anything in Canada, just like we are when entering the US. It's in his best interest to answer truthfully if he ever wants to enter Canada again, let alone actually get into Canada and not deported on the spot. ;) As you say it's perishable items, I'll assume food of some kind which isn't taxable or have duty generally....

Well its not food, but a food product. Don't want to give out too much info incase the CBSA is watching... :twisted:
arisk wrote:
KorruptioN wrote:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
56 upvotes
Burlington
Here's the CBSA policy on goods brought by visitors to Canada. The short answer is that all gifts valued at $60 or more have to be declared and that alcohol and tobacco cannot be declared as gifts.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 2-eng.html

ETA: Anyone entering Canada is expected to declare all fruits, vegetables, and animal related products. Please refer to the "Restrictions" section in the link.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Anathem wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:24 pm
Here's the CBSA policy on goods brought by visitors to Canada. The short answer is that all gifts valued at $60 or more have to be declared and that alcohol and tobacco cannot be declared as gifts.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 2-eng.html

Is that individually or all together?
arisk wrote:
KorruptioN wrote:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
56 upvotes
Burlington
Tijuana wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:25 pm
Is that individually or all together?

From the webpage:
You can import gifts for friends into Canada duty- and tax-free as long as each gift is valued at CAN$60 or less. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, you will have to pay duty and taxes on the excess amount. You cannot claim alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or business-related material as gifts.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Anathem wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:28 pm
From the webpage:

So as long as my friend prints(purchased online) the receipts showing that each of the items are less than $60cad(59USD so might get lucky?) then he won't have to pay taxes on them? There should be around 4-6 of them.
arisk wrote:
KorruptioN wrote:
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes
Food products wouldn't normally attracted taxes, gift or not.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
56 upvotes
Burlington
Tijuana wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:31 pm
So as long as my friend prints(purchased online) the receipts showing that each of the items are less than $60cad(59USD so might get lucky?) then he won't have to pay taxes on them? There should be around 4-6 of them.

What's on the webpage is the policy. I make no promises about how CBSA determines value.

Also I want to call attention to my earlier post regarding restrictions on plant and animal products in case you missed it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Anathem wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 4:35 pm
What's on the webpage is the policy. I make no promises about how CBSA determines value.

Also I want to call attention to my earlier post regarding restrictions on plant and animal products in case you missed it.

Okay, thanks! And thanks CSK's mom!
arisk wrote:
KorruptioN wrote:
Sep 27, 2010
35 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I think he does but not sure. I know I bought something no ebay once and the guys mailed it as a gift. not sure why
× < >