• Aug 31st, 2016 3:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2009
340 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto

Friend crashed his Daytona 675 - Not exactly sure how

Group ride around Hamilton and my friend on his 675 dumped his bike coming out of a sweeping turn and even after watching the video I am not sure exactly how this happened. He does not remember what happened, but from what it looks like he target fixated into the concrete barrier and maybe grazed it? Rider is okay, but it is weird because we were past the turn coming into the straight.

Lesson learned on his part to ride your own rider, thankfully he is okay.

Edit* Looks like front or rear brake locked?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Sonduren wrote: Group ride around Hamilton and my friend on his 675 dumped his bike coming out of a sweeping turn and even after watching the video I am not sure exactly how this happened. He does not remember what happened, but from what it looks like he target fixated into the concrete barrier and maybe grazed it? Rider is okay, but it is weird because we were past the turn coming into the straight.

Lesson learned on his part to ride your own rider, thankfully he is okay.

Edit* Looks like front or rear brake locked?
I saw brake lights and I assume he was going above the posted speed limit?
Jun 23, 2009
340 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
He was probably going at or below the limit actually, though he was trying to keep up with the rider in front of him. We all took the turn cautiously which is why it puzzles me more
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
Front tire catch the painted line and slip?

He looks like he's on the wrong-side (outside) of the lane :/
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Looks to me like your friend doesn't know how to do a push turn. Swinging out that wide on a corner like that makes me think he was trying exclusively to steer with leaning weight as opposed to pushing with his left hand. I've seen others do it and when I asked if they push turned, inevitably they give me a quizzical stare.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
hoody123 wrote: Looks to me like your friend doesn't know how to do a push turn. Swinging out that wide on a corner like that makes me think he was trying exclusively to steer with leaning weight as opposed to pushing with his left hand. I've seen others do it and when I asked if they push turned, inevitably they give me a quizzical stare.
What's push turn? Do you mean countersteer?

This is probably why people have "quizzical stares" when you ask them.
Jun 23, 2009
340 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
amkorp wrote:
hoody123 wrote: Looks to me like your friend doesn't know how to do a push turn. Swinging out that wide on a corner like that makes me think he was trying exclusively to steer with leaning weight as opposed to pushing with his left hand. I've seen others do it and when I asked if they push turned, inevitably they give me a quizzical stare.

Push turning and counter steering are the same thing, is this not correct? Just different ways of looking at it?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
amkorp wrote:

Yeah, same thing. Typically I'll mention both, but the instructors at the bike schools I know call it push turning to make it clear to students what they're supposed to be doing. It makes it more obvious and obvious is good when teaching!
Sonduren wrote:
amkorp wrote:

Push turning and counter steering are the same thing, is this not correct? Just different ways of looking at it?
Either way, to me it looks like your friend didn't do it ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
It's impossible to steer a motorcycle in any other way except by countersteering (unless you're going super slow, parking lot speeds). So anybody who can ride a motorcycle faster than parking lot speeds knows how to counter steer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
Looking from the slide marks .. I'm sticking with my original answer.

I think he caught the paint.
Jun 23, 2009
340 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote: Looking from the slide marks .. I'm sticking with my original answer.

I think he caught the paint.
Now looking at it, it might be the case that he was on the painted line
Jun 23, 2009
340 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote: sand debris on the asphalt?
Also possible with the slippery painted line theory. Again but either situation it does look like he grabbed too much front brake causing the bike to wash from underneath him
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
Sonduren wrote:
nomdesplumes wrote: sand debris on the asphalt?
Also possible with the slippery painted line theory. Again but either situation it does look like he grabbed too much front brake causing the bike to wash from underneath him
I can't see any other reason why his wheel would snap that hard/quickly without a slip. No one in their right mind would do that intentionally.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Where is the slippery part on the road? It didn't seem like he was on any painted line. Anyway, don't wanna sound harsh but for that (high) quality of bike, I'd expect the same quality of rider: why would anyone grab brake on any slip that is not perfectly straight?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Your friend doesn't know how to go around corners. This is the way its done.
Jun 23, 2009
340 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: Your friend doesn't know how to go around corners. This is the way its done.
Sadly not even 1% of riders out there could do a feat like this
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like his phone rang and he double checked his apple watch.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Might be a good time to find new friends to ride with.
I believe this is your 2nd video, where your friends either collided with another vehicle or dropped their bike.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Could be debris or gravel. I had a buddy wipe out from driving over McDonald's wrapper.