Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Friendly website feedback request, promise no 90s wayback ;)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2015 10:05 am
Oct 15, 2007
85 posts
6 upvotes
Woodbridge

Friendly website feedback request, promise no 90s wayback ;)

My background is in web design/development, although I've never run an online shop before nor have any experience with web/social marketing, so this is all rather new and quite interesting to me. Together with a close friend of mine we launched The Songbag (www.thesongbag.com) a few weeks ago. We hand make the bags ourselves, and have received pretty stellar feedback when we used to wear the bags out and about through the Spring/Summer, such that we decided to try selling this at volume. We launched via Kickstarter, and have completely screwed up our launch (Kickstarter wasn't the right platform for us to launch and we didn't understand it well enough prior to launching)

We've scrapped the Kickstarter campaign, re-launched as an online shop and have utilized a bit of Instagram marketing. Once again, we've received pretty amazing feedback on our bags. Any time an Instagram influencer has posted a photo featuring our bags the response has been great. The problem is, not many people are buying the bags. Since we launched about 4 weeks ago, we've sold 11 bags.

Would love to get some feedback on why you guys think this to be the case. When worn out, feedback is stellar. Online, feedback is stellar. Sales? Not so stellar.

I just changed the product images to show the bag being worn, as opposed to images of just the product itself (as you'll see in additional product photos)

Appreciate any feedback or insight.
7 replies
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
In terms of website feedback, to my untrained eye it looks like a well put together site. It doesn't have any WOW factor but certainly doesn't want to make me click away. Simple and effective I guess.

In terms of the product, my wife loves it and would consider buying one. However, her concern is durability and you don't cover accidental damage. Is the vinyl reinforced in anyway. The stitching seems very close to the edge. Maybe a section that talks about construction to ease those kind of concerns
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Are you in etsy as well?
If not, get in there too to sell ... That's where you'll really get discovered.
Oct 15, 2007
85 posts
6 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lacklustre wrote: In terms of website feedback, to my untrained eye it looks like a well put together site. It doesn't have any WOW factor but certainly doesn't want to make me click away. Simple and effective I guess.

In terms of the product, my wife loves it and would consider buying one. However, her concern is durability and you don't cover accidental damage. Is the vinyl reinforced in anyway. The stitching seems very close to the edge. Maybe a section that talks about construction to ease those kind of concerns

There are a few vinyl record "gauges" we've come across. We don't use very thin records, or very thick, brittle records. I have a bag which I've worn quite often for over 6 months and have not had issues with it. I have dropped a bag from about 6 ft to the ground and had the record break. Likewise if I were to drop my phone from 6ft chances are it would break as well. Damaging the records is definitely a concern, but I think with proper care, the bag could last a long time.

The vinyl is not reinforced in any way, although we have been looking for something that could help reinforce it, without taking away from the authenticity of the record (e.g. wrapping the record in some kind of protective film may protect it, but may change the appearance and remove that nostalgic feel from an authentic record)

I like your suggestion about creating a section describing how it's made. There are a few things that may not be apparent like the strap being adjustable, or the bag having an inside pocket, which can easily store a phone, keys or makeup in it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look the website over, and your suggestions.
Oct 15, 2007
85 posts
6 upvotes
Woodbridge
MrsPotato wrote: Are you in etsy as well?
If not, get in there too to sell ... That's where you'll really get discovered.
Not yet there. Have added it to our roadmap. Thus far we've only done a bit of Instagram marketing, and have been added photos to Pinterest. Going to definitely add it to Etsy as well. Thanks.
Sep 15, 2010
868 posts
463 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
I would add a "who we are" page..people like buying from someone they can see or put a face and name to.
Sep 15, 2010
868 posts
463 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
Also (great photos by the way,professional?) you should try and get a few stores to carry the product,gets them out at street level.Great idea and good luck, I love seeing people in business!
Cosmo Music Company in Richmond Hill would be perfect. cosmomusic.ca
Oct 15, 2007
85 posts
6 upvotes
Woodbridge
beaneyov wrote: Also (great photos by the way,professional?) you should try and get a few stores to carry the product,gets them out at street level.Great idea and good luck, I love seeing people in business!
Cosmo Music Company in Richmond Hill would be perfect. cosmomusic.ca
Thanks for the great suggestions :) So many things to do, so little time to do them in.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)