• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2019 12:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1096 posts
372 upvotes

Front carrying camera bag

I'm looking for a way to carry my DSLR so it's accessible from the front rather than in a pack on my back especially for hiking, etc. but I can't seem to find anything decent and/or available in Canada. Something but when I follow the link takes me nowhere. I've tried different keywords to like "slr chest carrier".

Any suggestions where to go look?

9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1096 posts
372 upvotes
I have an old Nikon D80 with a 18-200mm base lens but also want to be able to carry my 70-300 and 11-16
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1055 posts
54 upvotes
A couple options I can think of:

These two leave your camera exposed, if that's a concern:
- Cotton Carrier
- Peak Design capture clip on your backpack straps

Or try the Peak Design 5L or 10L sling bangs. Then can be worn on your back and easily flipped to your front for gear access (technically you could wear them on your chest if you wanted). They can also be worn like a pouch/fanny pack.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2800 posts
405 upvotes
Vaughan
I couldn't imagine carrying that much weight on the front while hiking. Seems like that would be an uncomfortable hike. If you want easy access to equipment without putting the bag down. Look into either a sling, or a backpack that opens from the rear. I personally don't like slings. They end up hurting one shoulder, hence the sling.

I'm not sure of your reasoning behind having the gear in the front, however, I have a lowepro flipside 400 aw. It allows me to have the equipment on my back, and i can easily swing it around to the front with ease, when i need to access my camera and lenses. When i have the bag in the front, i can access all my gear without putting the bag on the ground. I can change lenses with ease, since the bag pretty much acts like a table/counter when using the waist strap. Also the bag opens from the rear, so nobody can access your camera and lenses when its on your back. There are other brands that sell similar bags to the lowepro flipside. Tenba has the solstice, Mindshift has the backlight, and I'm sure there are other brands that make similar bags, but I'm just not aware of them. If you're not familar with theses types of backpacks, I'd suggest you do some research on them. They're not like regular camera backpacks.

I would only recommend a sling if you're ok with the 2 following things. The weight of the bag being on one shoulder. You can switch shoulders, but imo, backpacks distribute the weight better. Also if you mainly use one lens. The sling access itself is great, but if you plan to change lenses often, then you're probably off with one of the bags mentioned in the paragraph above.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1096 posts
372 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the responses. Just to clarify - I'm looking for help on where to find a bag similar to the one in the original post (not a sling) .
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4787 posts
59 upvotes
Local
I wouldn't recommend the 10L sling. I took it with me on a trip and that thing killed my shoulder quickly after. There is only so much you can adjust to help the weight distribution but it will eventually get to you. Either go really minimalistic with gear and get the 5L. If you get the 10L dont fill it up. Besides, it sucks when you cant buy things and put it in your bag because it's full of camera gear.

The everyday backpack feels so good. I haven't tried the 30L. But it just sticks to your back so weight feels like nothing. There was one time I got tired, but I can't be sure if it was the backpack because I wore a little too much clothing. Thick sweater and jacket and t shirt underneath and it wasn't that cold. The backpack itself is pretty heavy because of the materials.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
maybe you're a big guy and don't mind the baggage, but lugging around a DSLR on hikes would kill the experience for me. every pound counts...esp if you somehow still decide you want to front-carry?!

for mirrorless:

i take the everday backpack 30L when traveling (walking a crap-ton, or even doing overnight hikes)
everyday sling (10L?) for a day out where i'm gonna be shooting but not walking around all day
both of which can slide into the front/side when you wanna shoot
local day hikes I just throw in a regular backpack, unprotected, yolo swag

the newer, smaller capture clip might be the ticket for you, dont know how comfortable it is with a DSLR though

this post is not sponsored, haha
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.