• Dec 6th, 2016 11:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
636 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto

Front door camera

Anyone have personal experience with Ring wifi video door bell?

https://www.amazon.ca/Ring-Enabled-Door ... op?ie=UTF8

Any other recommendations? I only need a camera for the front door. Mostly to see who's at the door when the door bell rings. I can't put in a peephole without replacing the whole door. It doesn't have to be wifi.

Would like something that records video locally. I don't want to pay subscription for cloud storage.
Last edited by redwings_patriots on Nov 24th, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Aug 25, 2006
109 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I got an Amcrest HD pan tilt zoom IP cam from amazon for about $150 after reviewing several options earlier this year.

I have it way a cross from the front door in my dining room (Pointed across the room towards the front door zoomed in... distance about 20 feet). It has motion detection features you can configure in the companion mobile or desktop app where you paint the view to mask areas you don't want 'detected' to avoid false triggers. I masked everything but the door itself. Beauty of this is you get mobile alerts whenever the door is opened and better yet whenever someone walks up to the front door (as motion is detected through the window in the door). Works great for getting notifications when a delivery is made or attempted. Don't have to rely on a doorbell this way. Additionally it records about a weeks worth of constant footage to a 64mb microsd card (sold separate) that you can also remotely access. You can config it to record constantly, only record a configurable number of seconds after motion is detected, or to just take snapshot jpegs when motion is detected also witha bunch of scheduling options so you don't get bombarded with alerts when you are normally home.. It works pretty good. Downsides are that it doesn't store the data to 'the cloud' so someone can theoretically physically steal the camera but I believe cloud storage options are available and you can apparently also have footage saved to a network dvr app on pc or nas for archiving and later retrieval (haven't tried yet as I don't want it to slow down my network with constant traffic. No monthly fees was the big selling point for me (unlike nest cam's for example).

If I was buying again I'd probably go the netgear Arlo cam route as they are completely wire free for much easier placement options and apparently the battery life is good for months... something to consider. I have some folks in my neighborhood that have various doorbell cams and I honestly think they look tacky as hell.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
636 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know if there are any cameras that record locally on to an SD card?
Dec 24, 2007
716 posts
61 upvotes
GTA
for ring doorbell you can view who's at the door, assuming you get connected timely, not after they left. The cons is that without their cloud subscription you cannot record the footage. That's the reason why I returned by ring pro order. Not sure if their stick-up cam can record locally (or to your NAS/FTP, recording to sd card for an outdoor camera isn't actually a good thing), if it can it could be ideal if you want to keep your existing doorbell and simply add a two-way audio and view-able option.

There is another similar product called skybell who does not charge for cloud subscription but the review I found on amazon.com is not so great, so I did not pull the trigger.

Other than these you have option to buy some dedicated outdoor IP-cameras (complete wire-free, or POE, or wifi, many options and brands), and being able to record/motion detect is kinda standard feature of those cameras, but so far I did not find any that is two-way audio capable. Not sure why.

Lastly you have options to buy some other non-famous brand video intercom. Installation seems a bit complicated. Search amazon you will have your answer. I know someone install it for $850 including equipment. These things are hard-wire connected so delay is very minimal.

I did not find the ideal one so I did not buy anything. Ring pro was rather close, but the deal was knocked down by not being able to record to my own NAS/FTP.
Dec 24, 2007
716 posts
61 upvotes
GTA
also for the dedicated outdoor IP-cameras the image quality seems to be better or more adjustable to different environment. just some of my 2 cents.