Home & Garden

Front door deadbolt and knob set..what brand?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2005 1:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Front door deadbolt and knob set..what brand?

I'm confused as to what might be stronger or better built. I've seen brands such as Yale, Schlage, Weiser and some others that seem to be much cheaper than those three brands (at least at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian tire[/rfdlink] or home depot). I've already changed the side door on the garage which just had a simple keyed knob with a Yale one which seemed to feel more heavy than what I pulled out so I'm hoping its better quality (what I pulled out said "Dorex").

As for the front door, I ended up going with a Schlage but I'm wondering if out of the common brands, if that would be the best choice for a durable lock thats going to be semi difficult to pick or break?? I'm not expecting breakings but if I can make it 1% more difficult for someone, then I'd go for it.

So would that be a good brand or would Weiser be better or maybe even a different brand? The one I picked up had a knob that was keyed as well as a deadbolt that was keyed (in the same package). It was like $55 or $60.

Any advice welcome :)
11 replies
May 14, 2001
445 posts
54 upvotes
The brand name lockset you listed are decent. The real question you need to answer is how serious you are about preventing a break in. Certainly a deadbolt is a good dissuasion but it is only as strong as what it is attached to. Most deadbolt plate screws are too short to do much if some one tried to force the door. Preferably install the plate with screws that are several inches long and go into a stud. In terms of handles and durability there's a couple things to consider; wear of the mechanism and wear of the finish. The name brand units will have good finishes that are often guaranteed. Locksets also have usage grades and minimum torque resistance. Most home locksets are grade 1, some commercial ones are grade 2. You probably won't find anything beyond a grade 1 in the hardware stores.

I do know that the hardware stores have different brands on sale at different times, just luck of the draw depending on when you need to change your lock.

Hope that helps.
mmmmm BBQ! Chunder Time!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
Yale, Schlage, Weiser and a few others are all, from a practical perspective, just as good as each other.

The biggest issue in having a secure door is the installation. Do you have a nice big window in the door (or the sidelights) where they can just punch the glass out to reach around and unlock the deadbolt / door?

Have you installed the metal catch in the door frame (the one where the deadbolt goes through) with at least 3" screws? Have you done the same with the hinge screws?

Is the door frame double 2x4s so that they cannot just prybar the door away from the jamb?

Are you using a steel door?

Even with all of the above ... the reality is that if I wanted to get into your house, it would take me about 30 seconds. I have a circular saw; a metal cutting blade and a wood cutting blade ... plunge cut it into the middle of your door and work my way up to the top and, voila, your door breaks in 1/2 and in I go.

Take care of the issues I outlined above and you will be fine.
[OP]
May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hmmm, not sure how thick the door frame itself is. Its a 10 year old house which I just picked up. Also the door seems like its a wooden one with a thin metal outer skin. I was not really impressed with that. The Schlage lock did come with 3" long screws but again, not sure how thick the material in the door frame is. Also I do have a fair sized window but I was thinking of getting some of this protective film from 3M and trying to make the glass break/shatter proof:
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en00 ... utput_html

Again, the neighbourhood is fine but better to be safe than sorry. I was also going to install an alarm system but I'm not sure if thats really a deterent or not....
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
1367 posts
3 upvotes
If someone wants to break into your home, they'll do it no matter the lock or alarm system. The brands you listed are all equally good. Pick one and follow the guidelines listed by CheapScotsman... that's about the best you can do.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
Medeco! Expensive, but really good. If it's for your front door, be sure to have a "double one" that needs a key on both sides. That way, if thieves get in, they can't get your stuff our the front door.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
we used weiser for years, but always had trouble with them, after a few years they needed replaced. this past year we bought yale and i'm very happy with it.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5505 posts
117 upvotes
mart242 wrote:Medeco! Expensive, but really good. If it's for your front door, be sure to have a "double one" that needs a key on both sides. That way, if thieves get in, they can't get your stuff our the front door.
:arrowu:

and usually the screws cannot be unscrewed, at least with mine.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
fakishan wrote: :arrowu:

and usually the screws cannot be unscrewed, at least with mine.
I wasn't aware of that (re: medeco locks) so how do you change your lock if you have to?
Mar 15, 2005
48 posts
GTA
mart242 wrote:I wasn't aware of that (re: medeco locks) so how do you change your lock if you have to?
There is a special adepter comes with the lock. If you lost that adepter and you won't be able to change the lock in the future.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2005
1348 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
there are different grades to look at too, such as business or industrial. I know schalge and medeco both offer different grades

if you want something that is tough, you might want to move to business or industrial grade. alot of the residential grade ones you see at HD or CDNTIRE can be easily drilled out and compromised
May 14, 2001
445 posts
54 upvotes
you can get medeco cylinders but retain the actual lock mechanism (actually depends on wich lockset you have, for instance you could take out a schlage cylinder and replace it with a medeco cylinder). The medeco key cannot be copied without proof of ownership. Each key is supposedly unique and attached on file to you the owner. You would have to go to a locksmith to get a medeco lock or rekey.
mmmmm BBQ! Chunder Time!
× < >