• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2018 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1614 posts
341 upvotes

Front / rear tire thread depth difference

Just had car serviced, on the service list, it says LF 1.3mm, LR 1.4mm, LR 6.8mm, RR6.7mm, all numbers are average numbers of outside/center/inside
recommend to change front tires.

I wonder why the number differs so much on front tires? it's MB 4Matic all wheel drive, only 35k km driven.

And how to prevent the uneven wear in the future? In terms of driving habit?

the car is on lease, will end in half a year, does have First Class Lease Protection, no additional Wheel & Tire protection.

Will I get dinged at lease end when returning? How much it would cost for a similar pair of tires?

Also there are some scratches on the rim, how much(approx price range) would it cost to have it fixed?

Probably will lease another car from the same dealership.
Last edited by sircool on Dec 18th, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
39 replies
Feb 17, 2015
344 posts
341 upvotes
Canada
Im not an expert but I think because tires on the front moves left-right, right-left...and front part of the car is heavier (engine etc) than rear.
sircool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:12 am
Just had car serviced, on the service list, it says LF 1.3mm, LR 1.4mm, LR 6.8mm, RR6.7mm, all numbers are average numbers of outside/center/inside

I wonder why the number differs so much on front tires? it's MB 4Matic all wheel drive, only 35k km driven.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1135 posts
953 upvotes
sircool wrote:

Your alignment may be to blame.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22346 posts
7380 upvotes
Toronto
tire pressure setting. Some MB vehicles have a higher setting for the front than the back and you may not have set yours properly (for the front)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24947 posts
11235 upvotes
Ottawa
How much do you weight?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1391 posts
318 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
sircool wrote:

And how to prevent the uneven wear in the future? In terms of driving habit?

the car is on lease, will end in half a year, does have First Class Lease Protection, no additional Wheel & Tire protection.

Will I get dinged at lease end when returning? How much it would cost for a similar pair of tires?

Also there are some scratches on the rim, how much(approx price range) would it cost to have it fixed?

Probably will lease another car from the same dealership.
To minimize tire wear, ensure your tires are properly inflated, ensure that the wheel alignment is correct / checked regularly, and finally, do not drive aggressively.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1614 posts
341 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:26 am

Your alignment may be to blame.
booblehead wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:29 am
tire pressure setting. Some MB vehicles have a higher setting for the front than the back and you may not have set yours properly (for the front)

It's a new car leased from the MB dealership directly, serviced A/B with dealership too, if something wrong, it must be from the day 1st
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1614 posts
341 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:31 am
How much do you weight?
lol, half a ton probably
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1135 posts
953 upvotes
sircool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:46 am
It's a new car leased from the MB dealership directly, serviced A/B with dealership too, if something wrong, it must be from the day 1st
Perhaps, but why didn't you complain of steering wheel drift or whatever BS you have to do in order to get a free alignment? IIRC MB has 1 year warranty on adjustments etc, so that would have been covered. I've found that many cars do not have alignment completed correctly from the factory. Many MB vehicles also require an additional camber/caster kit or whatnot in order to get all green on the alignment printout results. They cheap out on parts. Ask your service advisor.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22346 posts
7380 upvotes
Toronto
btw, are your tires with square setup ? If so, you should have rotated them every 6 months or so (to get even wear)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1614 posts
341 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:48 am
Perhaps, but why didn't you complain of steering wheel drift or whatever BS you have to do in order to get a free alignment? IIRC MB has 1 year warranty on adjustments etc, so that would have been covered. I've found that many cars do not have alignment completed correctly from the factory. Many MB vehicles also require an additional camber/caster kit or whatnot in order to get all green on the alignment printout results. They cheap out on parts. Ask your service advisor.
I've complained about steering wheel drift ( a little bit while idle, but can definitely feel the shake, without Auto Start/Stop function engaged)
I've complained about the sharp squeaking noise when applying brakes half way down

they checked twice saying it is normal...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1135 posts
953 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:50 am
btw, are your tires with square setup ? If so, you should have rotated them every 6 months or so (to get even wear)
Most MBs are staggered.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8883 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Do you use the same tires in the winter? Also have you ever rotated your tires?
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1614 posts
341 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:03 am
Do you use the same tires in the winter? Also have you ever rotated your tires?
it's all season tires, no winter tires, did not do rotation. Service B lists tire rotation (where applicable), apparently, they did not think it is applicable (did not do)