• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2019 4:12 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
214 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto

Front Yard Parking - Toronto

I reside in ward 6 and am having a bit of a hard time understanding the regulation around front yard parking. I understand my ward has an effective ban on parking "on any portion of a Boulevard" pursuant 918-5 paragraph A of the city municipal code. Same section under paragraph B then talks about a specific ban on front yard parking in some other wards. Am I out of luck? Would like to consider widening my shared driveway.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3901 posts
3087 upvotes
Toronto
Basically, you can't do it legally. Many people do it anyway and hope the bylaw folks don't come by and issue a ticket, but bylaw enforcement is complaints-based, so it just takes one bitter neighbour to rat you out.
Nov 17, 2014
796 posts
548 upvotes
Ontario
jm1 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 9:17 pm
Basically, you can't do it legally. Many people do it anyway and hope the bylaw folks don't come by and issue a ticket, but bylaw enforcement is complaints-based, so it just takes one bitter neighbour to rat you out.
Why would someone have to be bitter to report that? Is there a worse look to a neighbourhood than people parking on their front lawn?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12298 posts
6550 upvotes
Toronto
djskynet wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 2:31 pm
I reside in ward 6 and am having a bit of a hard time understanding the regulation around front yard parking. I understand my ward has an effective ban on parking "on any portion of a Boulevard" pursuant 918-5 paragraph A of the city municipal code. Same section under paragraph B then talks about a specific ban on front yard parking in some other wards. Am I out of luck? Would like to consider widening my shared driveway.
You can widen your driveway if the city allows it via curb cutting. You'll need to sketch up your current and existing driveway and provide future plans. Take it to the buildings dept at the civic centre, you'll have to pay about $100 and it will either get approved or denied. Also, if you have a tree in that area, I believe you need at least 8ft from where your driveway will start, if you can't, than you've already lost. Take a look around in your area and see if there are others that have a wider driveway, that will give you an idea. Call up the civic spot and talk to someone. They'll ask for your address and will be able to tell you right away from google maps if you have any chance of doing this.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2388 posts
446 upvotes
North York
Copper1212 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 12:58 pm
Why would someone have to be bitter to report that? Is there a worse look to a neighbourhood than people parking on their front lawn?
I wouldn't hesitate to report this as it affects my property value along with many others too. If everyone parked on their lawn or basically paved their entire front to make more parking spaces it would be a terrible look for the neighborhood. Good thing I am part of a condo corporation and it states that if you do remove the grass to make an extra parking spot they will make to revert it back at your expense.

You can file a complaint here if you are in Toronto
http://torontopolice.on.ca/core/immedia ... plaint.php
Oct 2, 2018
162 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Live in North York with 55 to 60 foot lots, would care too much if someone doubled their driveway as the aesthetics would blend in anyway.

My other house is downtown on 30 foot lots at best, i can see people freaking out down there as aesthetically it would likely look terrible, so understand people being upset and lodging a complaint there. Luckily my second place has a lane way and parking for two cars in the back, and road permit parking as well so no issues for me. I rent out my rear double parking spot to someone in the neighborhood for $50 a month (not looking to make money, only wish for someone respectful to not have any issues at all) just so that there is a car there most of the time, safer for my mother as she lives there alone these days.