• Dec 20th, 2013 10:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5529 upvotes
Vaughan
My house (semi) is 12 years old. It has 6 vents on the roof. The next time replace the shingle I will add more insulation and ask them to put baffles to move air to the top. For your case, if you can find out how many vents and location, then wait and see for the next couple of years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
On my previous house, I had my roofing reshingled. They also installed more vents on the roof and removed an old whirly fan...they fail after while. One guideline for vents is one vent per 300 square feet of roofing. Each vent is typically about 1 square foot.

Dave
Feb 22, 2010
296 posts
130 upvotes
n/a
kimcuc wrote: I stuck my head up in the attic today out of curiosity and saw the following;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1k0b6izt0cflo2e/IMG_0457.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrq7sz48x2k6nhb/IMG_0467.JPG

The outside temperature is about -20 and I have an HRV that runs intermittently and my indoor humidity level hovers around 37% in the winter. My indoor temperature is 22 degrees. No windows sweating or anything...
The house is just 2 years old... any ideas? Thanks in advance
Update: The builder found that the flexible duct connection at the roof vent wasn't secure, allowing moist air to escape and/or blow back into the attic. They removed it, reattached, resealed and caulked. Also checked the others and did the same as a precaution. Now I'll keep an eye on things (fingers crossed). Ventilation was more than adequate as per builder.

Thanks for your feedback everyone
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
Nice to know that your builder fixed it.

If you feel like taking an extra step, then in spring (not summer, hot hot hot), buy a pack of zip ties and secure all the connections for permanency.
Feb 22, 2010
296 posts
130 upvotes
n/a
Samwfive wrote: Nice to know that your builder fixed it.

If you feel like taking an extra step, then in spring (not summer, hot hot hot), buy a pack of zip ties and secure all the connections for permanency.
That's an excellent suggestion. thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
kimcuc wrote: Update: The builder found that the flexible duct connection at the roof vent wasn't secure, allowing moist air to escape and/or blow back into the attic. They removed it, reattached, resealed and caulked. Also checked the others and did the same as a precaution. Now I'll keep an eye on things (fingers crossed). Ventilation was more than adequate as per builder.

Thanks for your feedback everyone
Awesome! It seemed too convenient that the frost was limited to the area around the bathroom vent ;)

Glad to see the builder came in and fixed it up for you, make sure to keep an eye on it though!
Feb 22, 2010
296 posts
130 upvotes
n/a
mcplar wrote: Awesome! It seemed too convenient that the frost was limited to the area around the bathroom vent ;)

Glad to see the builder came in and fixed it up for you, make sure to keep an eye on it though!
Ya good call!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)