• Oct 29th, 2017 2:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3814 posts
525 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Frozen dumplings (GTA)

Does anyone have any recommendations for good frozen dumplings in the GTA?

We really like the one in Market Village (Jia Jia Lok Frozen Dumplings), but with the demolition, not sure if they will relocate or just close. I'll probably be stopping by tomorrow to ask.

We don't really like the Ten Ten brands found at T&T or equivalent asian supermarkets.

Can anyone suggest where to get on par or better frozen dumplings?
20 replies
Apr 30, 2006
278 posts
141 upvotes
Richmond Hill
There is a store in First Markham Place. I've compared them with Ten Ten and the like. This one has a firmer wrapper and chunkier fillings. I do like them but I don't go out my way just to get them.

I end up buying whatever is on "sale" at T&T or making my own.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3691 posts
417 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:52 pm
We really like the one in Market Village (Jia Jia Lok Frozen Dumplings), but with the demolition, not sure if they will relocate or just close. I'll probably be stopping by tomorrow to ask.
I agree. This place is my favourite for frozen dumplings. If you find out if they'll be relocating or closing let us know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3814 posts
525 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:21 am
I agree. This place is my favourite for frozen dumplings. If you find out if they'll be relocating or closing let us know.
They said they will probably relocate, but have not firmed up a location yet.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
O'Tasty dumplings can be found in most Chinese supermarkets.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4581 posts
816 upvotes
Markham
Thought I already posted this.

The Dumpling Shop

184 Willowdale Ave, North York, ON M2N 4Y9
(416) 512-2323
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1097 posts
706 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I love the frozen dumplings (Wonton maybe?) sold at Costco, sorry can't recall the name... will update next time when I buy some new
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14687 posts
18298 upvotes
ONTARIO
Alekxqin wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:08 pm
I love the frozen dumplings (Wonton maybe?) sold at Costco, sorry can't recall the name... will update next time when I buy some new
Are you talking about the ones sold by Siwin brand at Costco? The potstickers? If so, I love those ones too.

These ones:
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23373 posts
1097 upvotes
Markham, ON
TnT in house brand...clives&pork.

in the clear hard plastic containers
Jun 14, 2017
232 posts
202 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:37 am
Are you talking about the ones sold by Siwin brand at Costco? The potstickers? If so, I love those ones too.
Love the Siwin Potstickers from Costco! They come with packs of the sweet soy dipping sauce as well! Add some asian red vinegar and slivers of ginger to the sauce to elevate! NOM!
Apr 12, 2005
734 posts
45 upvotes
Golden Pinnacle 63 Silver Star Blvd In Scarb

Commercial operation but open to the public.

Little hole in the wall but awesome..

Much better IMO than anything commercially available at a Costco or TnT
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Siwin Potstickers looks yumm but which one is the best when it comes to steaming them? I prefer steaming as its cleaner for the stove top and healthier, also easier to cook as you just set it and forget it (with timer ofc)
BST meeting place:
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14687 posts
18298 upvotes
ONTARIO
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 10:30 am
Siwin Potstickers looks yumm but which one is the best when it comes to steaming them? I prefer steaming as its cleaner for the stove top and healthier, also easier to cook as you just set it and forget it (with timer ofc)
The Siwin ones offer a few different ways of cooking them on the back of the package. You don't need to cook them up like the picture on the front. I steam them as well, using my Instant Pot. They are delicious with the dipping sauce they come with! Also you can use them to make a wonton soup!

They are full cooked already, so it doesn't take long at all.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 11:51 am
The Siwin ones offer a few different ways of cooking them on the back of the package. You don't need to cook them up like the picture on the front. I steam them as well, using my Instant Pot. They are delicious with the dipping sauce they come with! Also you can use them to make a wonton soup!

They are full cooked already, so it doesn't take long at all.
sounds good. Will try them when they go on sale. I have the IP as well and the steaming function escapes me. How exactly do you use that function? Add water, set manual timer, then just leave it 'unsealed'? Sealing when steaming is the same as pressure cooking, which i dont want.
BST meeting place:
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14687 posts
18298 upvotes
ONTARIO
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 12:29 pm
sounds good. Will try them when they go on sale. I have the IP as well and the steaming function escapes me. How exactly do you use that function? Add water, set manual timer, then just leave it 'unsealed'? Sealing when steaming is the same as pressure cooking, which i dont want.
Yeah you could probably do that. I don't really understand the steaming function either.

Another suggestion is to get the glass lid accessory and a good steamer basket. You can use the glass lid and saute mode to reach a low boil pretty quickly with a cup or two of water. Then add in the dumplings to the basket and close the lid. Now steam until you feel they are done.

I've also just been lazy and pressure cooked them for 2-3 minutes so I don't have to do anything but set it and forget it lol. Honestly tastes fine to me that way as well.