Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5727 posts
604 upvotes

Frozen windshield washer fluid reservoir

OK, my wife made a mistake when she bought (what she thought) was windshield washer fluid. It was actually "window and and screen washer". After a few minutes of me pointing out the picture of the person on the label cleaning windows on a lovely summers day and telling her to read labels, I got to thinking how I could solve the problem.

It's now frozen in the pipes and reservoir. We don't have a garage so it's going to be difficult to get it to thaw out (and we can't wait until Spring!), and we don't have any plans of taking a road trip to Florida :)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think that pouring hot water into the reservoir would solve it as it has to travel down the pipes first so that I can start squirting it out onto the windshield.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
18 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76726 posts
1574 upvotes
Go to a car wash when its not busy and let it sit in there for awhile. See if that thaws it out enough.

Hair dryer might work as well, then drain it all out.
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3268 posts
34 upvotes
Go park it in an underground garage...
go shopping for a few hours..
once it's melted... drain and refill with the proper stuff..
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8031 posts
245 upvotes
Hamilton
park at a friends heated garage of anysort! needs to sit for at least overnite. w/bow dryer would help also.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3900 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
is the reservoir completely full? if not, add non-freezing stuff and you'll be okay.
if you drive for a long time, the heat from the engine will usually be enough to melt the stuff as well.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1342 posts
11 upvotes
you can try removing the rubber hoses and set them out to defrost.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2584 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
GOod luck, and hopefully the resevoir or the pipes are not cracked from the expansion already. Might be a costly fix.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5049 posts
240 upvotes
I lazily forgot to do that last year when moved from Tampa, Fl and had this crack..... a small one i assume since every time I fill the reservoir up with washer fluid.....NEXT morning its half full :lol:

I dont think i need to get it fixed as of now.....
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3900 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
on *most* cars, it'll cost about 100 (give or take) to buy a new reservoir (even less if bought used) and replacing one isn't that difficult. Maybe an hour if you are slow and unfamiliar with the car.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1529 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Drain it out ASAP, or things can get exploded when it's this cold in the winter!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2005
1348 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
see if you can borrow a block heater from a friend. turn if on for about 2-4 hours and it should dethaw
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2584 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
fast_typeR wrote:see if you can borrow a block heater from a friend. turn if on for about 2-4 hours and it should dethaw
Hahaha... now we are making up new words.
Apr 23, 2004
976 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
relax nothing will explode!
the pipes are rubber hoses!
i suggest parking underground or somewhere heated ,
have u tried driving a long time perhaps 1hr on the highway somthing like that? im sure the heat from the engine will thaw that out.
× < >