• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2010 10:27 am
[OP]
Nov 28, 2005
918 posts
9 upvotes
Windsor

Fruit from China ok ?

Well bought some Del Monte fruit cups, and mango fruit cups.

on the back it said MADE IN CHINA.

after hearing all the toxin in foods on the news.
is chinese fruit really safe to eat.?

i rather buy local, but since its winter. you really have no choice.
i perfer to buy USA fruit instead. where there is regulated food processing/growing regulations. and im pretty sure they are more strict than the chinese regualtions.

http://www.ap-foodtechnology.com/Formul ... vegetables
46 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2453 posts
38 upvotes
Buy local if you're afraid.
Protip : You save more money when you're not on RFD! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
68 upvotes
Mike_wang wrote:
Jan 18th, 2009 5:39 pm
Buy local if you're afraid.

Exactly.

I've eaten it - more because I didn't look at where it was made. But I haven't started growing an extra arm or anything (yet!) :lol:
Oct 8, 2008
209 posts
7 upvotes
Its always good to be careful, but I'd feel better knowing that its a well known name brand involved - Del Monte, so you would hope that the company's internal standards would prevail. If nothing else, they have more to lose (including reputation) if bad things were discovered, and you could sue their pants off.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
This may be surprising to some but many of the fruits and vegetables you find in Chinese supermarkets are from China. Carrots for instance you would think is from our backyard, but it isn't. Many greens and fruits are from China.

Just because it says Del Monte or whatever, doesn't necessarily mean it's home grown.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
36 upvotes
feet_ wrote:
Jan 18th, 2009 4:29 pm
Well bought some Del Monte fruit cups, and mango fruit cups.

on the back it said MADE IN CHINA.

after hearing all the toxin in foods on the news.
is chinese fruit really safe to eat.?

i rather buy local, but since its winter. you really have no choice.
i perfer to buy USA fruit instead. where there is regulated food processing/growing regulations. and im pretty sure they are more strict than the chinese regualtions.

http://www.ap-foodtechnology.com/Formul ... vegetables
no.. you are going to die...

geez.. grow a pair people... if Made In China food was that 'dangerous'.. you'd think that China itself would be wiped off the face of the Earth by now..
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
I don't think processed fruit in plastic cups is too good for you no matter where the fruit is processed.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
Toronto
almostfreeman wrote:
Jan 18th, 2009 10:57 pm
I don't think processed fruit in plastic cups is too good for you no matter where the fruit is processed.
+1

Homemade fruit salad is what I make and store in small containers. I know where the fruit is grown too.
Nov 9, 2007
315 posts
124 upvotes
Scarborough
almostfreeman wrote:
Jan 18th, 2009 10:57 pm
hhaha
was going to say something like that myself.

eating a fruit cup gives you the ILLUSION that you're eating something healthy, when a CocaCola is probably better for you :lol: i'm j/k
Aug 27, 2006
816 posts
20 upvotes
rdtx2002 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2009 10:44 pm
no.. you are going to die...

geez.. grow a pair people... if Made In China food was that 'dangerous'.. you'd think that China itself would be wiped off the face of the Earth by now..
They dont have the best record of following safety practices...cash is king and there is little to stop doing illegal things in China...yeah they have the odd execution for people who get caught breaking such laws but this is more propoganda for the west...

Its a sad state of affairs...there was a del monte plant in niagara on the lake that they closed down because it was not profitable enough...they ended up pulling up all the fruit trees that supplied the plant...what a waste.

No, the OP doesnt need to grow balls, the government needs to grow some balls and ban food importation from countries outside of Canada except for items that we do not grow.

People need to wake up and realize what they are eating. Yeah, fresh fruit is ideal (even some of that comes from China) but its not always realistic. Canned fruit is ok but you only need to talk to people who live in China to see what people get away with in that country.

LIP
Aug 17, 2008
665 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
300 million ppl in China have no safe drinking water... think of the entire USA w/o clean drinking water. Also imagine those same water sources polluted (black rivers) being used to water the fruit that you eat. Also the acid rain from pollution in the air. Made in China... no thanks.
Aug 27, 2006
816 posts
20 upvotes
Its a huge problem....was at the grocery store tonight (Fortinos)...there is no fruit made outside of China or Thailand any longer...there were a couple of old containers made in Canada but this is just old stock...

I will write Del Monte although it will get nowhere...probably just send me a coupon for free Chinese fruit!
:evil:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5001 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Ontario produce can be up to 49% imported and still labeled produce of Canada.

Martin's Family Farm Apples, and Rougemount Quebec apple juice, for example, can contain Chinese apples and juice.
Aug 27, 2006
816 posts
20 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2009 8:02 pm
Ontario produce can be up to 49% imported and still labeled produce of Canada.

Martin's Family Farm Apples, and Rougemount Quebec apple juice, for example, can contain Chinese apples and juice.
Yes, this is on purpose to mislead the public and not let them make a choice in the marketplace. If you had the choice between a locally grown product that was 15% higher but you knew it was grown 20km away, I know I would be going local. Its understandable that during some times of the year this is not possible but it doesnt mean the government should allow multinationals to lie.

LIP
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
36 upvotes
lip wrote:
Dec 27th, 2009 7:48 pm
They dont have the best record of following safety practices...cash is king and there is little to stop doing illegal things in China...yeah they have the odd execution for people who get caught breaking such laws but this is more propoganda for the west...

Its a sad state of affairs...there was a del monte plant in niagara on the lake that they closed down because it was not profitable enough...they ended up pulling up all the fruit trees that supplied the plant...what a waste.

No, the OP doesnt need to grow balls, the government needs to grow some balls and ban food importation from countries outside of Canada except for items that we do not grow.

People need to wake up and realize what they are eating. Yeah, fresh fruit is ideal (even some of that comes from China) but its not always realistic. Canned fruit is ok but you only need to talk to people who live in China to see what people get away with in that country.

LIP
every country has their issues.. I don't really buy your protectionist stance.. why must we need everything that is Made in Canada.. there are other places in the world that can grow fruit just as well as us if not better.

People may get away with things (look at milk scandal) but this country has been surviving way longer than Canada, obviously food is not the problem
× < >