Food & Drink

Fruit juice that can kill you - Shop wisely

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 7:58 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 4:37 pm
@death_hawk
There still is 100% Cranberry Juice ... most famously ... Ocean Spray
https://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Jui ... -Cranberry
That's exactly what I was talking about.
Yes it's 100% juice, but it's most likely 25.1% Cranberry Juice with the other 74.9% being cheap filler juices.

I want 100% Cranberry Juice. Not 100% Juice with crafty wording to make me think it's anything but Cranberry Juice.

Image
Cranberry Cocktails
I'm split on this.
On one hand, it's JUST cranberry juice.
On the other hand, it's also mostly sugar water.

Why can't I have 100% Cranberry Juice so I can adjust my own levels?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7256 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 4:51 pm
That's exactly what I was talking about.
Yes it's 100% juice, but it's most likely 25.1% Cranberry Juice with the other 74.9% being cheap filler juices.

I want 100% Cranberry Juice. Not 100% Juice with crafty wording to make me think it's anything but Cranberry Juice.

Image


I'm split on this.
On one hand, it's JUST cranberry juice.
On the other hand, it's also mostly sugar water.

Why can't I have 100% Cranberry Juice so I can adjust my own levels?
Sorry...

I linked to the wrong product

Here’s the 100% Cranberry Juice, unsweetened, no other juices added
https://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Jui ... -Cranberry

The labelling shows its made from Concentrate
Which is pretty much the norm for anything without added preservatives
As they have to do that to keep the cranberries at their peak of ripeness

But ya... it’s uber confusing all these variations
The Consumer truly has to educate themselves

The other one I had linked to is also 100% Juice
Just not all from Cranberries
Despite the labelling :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 5:13 pm
Here’s the 100% Cranberry Juice, unsweetened, no other juices added
https://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Jui ... -Cranberry
Oh that's better.
Not that I've ever seen it....
The labelling shows its made from Concentrate
Which is pretty much the norm for anything without added preservatives
As they have to do that to keep the cranberries at their peak of ripeness
From concentrate doesn't really bother me that much.
It's pretty hard to avoid until you go for fresh juices like Tropicana etc.
But that's another can of worms because "Fresh" in this context only means requires refrigeration.
The other one I had linked to is also 100% Juice
Just not all from Cranberries
Despite the labelling :rolleyes:
That's my biggest issue is the labelling.
It'd be fine if they didn't highlight cranberry, but I'd bet money that says that it's barely above 25% (due to ingredient ratios) or maybe 51% (due to claiming "Cranberry")
Another point of contention is the lack of actual ratios.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
12597 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I have a bag of cranberries in the fridge. It's very difficult to eat, I can't even imagine what it's like to drink that juice.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:17 pm
I have a bag of cranberries in the fridge. It's very difficult to eat, I can't even imagine what it's like to drink that juice.
Yeah you pretty much have to cut with sugar.

My issue is that if I get 100% Cranberry juice, I can control the amount of sugar.
With cocktail, it's a crapshoot.
With "100% Juice" it's barely cranberry.

For the few times I did find 100% Cran, I cut it with Ginger Ale.
I can add more or less cranberry but keep the sugar the same.
I can't do that easily with Cocktail because more cranberry = more sugar.
Member
Aug 6, 2018
230 posts
231 upvotes
this is the new normal, just gonna get worse and worse as we continue to pollute our world. we're used to mercury in our tuna at this point but we'll have more and more to worry about as years go by.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2447 posts
2410 upvotes
What I would like to know is why I cannot buy 100% pineapple juice, anywhere!!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2447 posts
2410 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 3:02 pm
I believe you can buy it under the PC brand. Also organic Lakewood.
Thank you. Guess I'm going to superstore tonight!!!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
6828 posts
3983 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Becks wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:17 pm
I have a bag of cranberries in the fridge. It's very difficult to eat, I can't even imagine what it's like to drink that juice.
I was going to comment that I think 100% cranberry juice would be quite unpalatable. There is a reason they mix it with grape (or other) juices. My mouth would be puckered right into a cat's bum.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
834 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Silkweave wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 11:29 am
make your own juice
It can be a better juice but very expensive and very wasteful if you don't use the "waste" for baking or at the very least put it in your composte.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2447 posts
2410 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 7:32 am
Is there a parallel universe where people are still drinking juice? Drink water, eat fruit. Don’t skimp on either.

https://www.narcity.com/news/canadas-ne ... just-water
It's a habit I've had since being a kid 40 years ago. I'm still fairly certain kids drink juice, no?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.

Top