Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

FS $799 samsung LN40a500T1F

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2009 4:28 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 13, 2008
12 posts
1 upvote

FS $799 samsung LN40a500T1F

how come this is not on the official Samsung website?

Is it a good price with this spec?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
zzzz123 wrote: Thank you.

Any comment on this TV compare with the others?
It is a boxing day special that exists only to be a very cheap TV for people who feel that they must have 1080p but can't/don't pay for a 530 or 550. Samsung stripped down their regular TV to the bare bones to cut the price. I wouldn't go near it in a 1000 years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Eyeman wrote: It is a boxing day special that exists only to be a very cheap TV for people who feel that they must have 1080p but can't/don't pay for a 530 or 550. Samsung stripped down their regular TV to the bare bones to cut the price. I wouldn't go near it in a 1000 years.
Care to elaborate on things that are stripped away that are so critical?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2670 posts
102 upvotes
Eyeman wrote: It is a boxing day special that exists only to be a very cheap TV for people who feel that they must have 1080p but can't/don't pay for a 530 or 550. Samsung stripped down their regular TV to the bare bones to cut the price. I wouldn't go near it in a 1000 years.
That seems to be a bit harsh I think...1080p isn't such a hugh factor for many people but if you want a decent/nice HD tv, i think for this price why the heck not...
Nov 21, 2007
239 posts
Vancouver
I have a 530 and compared the 2 briefly. There was a difference in contrast ratio and maybe the # of HDMI inputs, can't remember much else (that doesn't mean there aren't other diffs tho, just that I can't remember them :D )
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: Care to elaborate on things that are stripped away that are so critical?
The fact that it magically appeared just a Christmas and is sold only by one retailer should set off the alarm bells. Then there is the fact that fact that Samsung uses the last 2 numbers to specify model level - (5)50 is a bettermodel than a (5)30 which is undoubtedly better than a (5)00. The 500 isn't even on Samsung's normal search. Then there is the weight. The 500 weighs a lot less, suggesting cheaper fit and finish.

There are no reviews on the 500, but all the red flags are there. Only a blind man couldn't see them.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
mustanglover76 wrote: That seems to be a bit harsh I think...1080p isn't such a hugh factor for many people
You obviously don't read these forums. Anyway, it is for a lot of people and that's who the 500 is designed to appeal to.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2670 posts
102 upvotes
Eyeman wrote: You obviously don't read these forums. Anyway, it is for a lot of people and that's who the 500 is designed to appeal to.
i do read the forums, i guess just not as often as you...you clearly didn't understand my point. many uninformed shoppers out there who see 1080p and just by hearing from friends and such think, ok, this tv has that capability, and it's only $799, sure...they don't do research, this does not mean they are blind or screwed with a garbage tv...it may not have all the features a higher model has but then in 2 months when samsung releases a newer model the 530 and 550 will be garbage right? not everyone is informed or knows who to ask about these tvs, so they get what they see and i don't think this tv would be a mistake by anyone to purchase...
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2670 posts
102 upvotes
Eyeman wrote: The fact that it magically appeared just a Christmas and is sold only by one retailer should set off the alarm bells. Then there is the fact that fact that Samsung uses the last 2 numbers to specify model level - (5)50 is a bettermodel than a (5)30 which is undoubtedly better than a (5)00. The 500 isn't even on Samsung's normal search. Then there is the weight. The 500 weighs a lot less, suggesting cheaper fit and finish.

There are no reviews on the 500, but all the red flags are there. Only a blind man couldn't see them.
so you really have no idea or clue what the difference is in terms of performance is what your basically saying?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Eyeman wrote: The fact that it magically appeared just a Christmas and is sold only by one retailer should set off the alarm bells. Then there is the fact that fact that Samsung uses the last 2 numbers to specify model level - (5)50 is a bettermodel than a (5)30 which is undoubtedly better than a (5)00. The 500 isn't even on Samsung's normal search. Then there is the weight. The 500 weighs a lot less, suggesting cheaper fit and finish.

:confused: My question was: what are the critical things that are being stripped down (taken away) for this model 500 vs. 530 or 550??

So are you suggesting that it's just the "weight"? Anyway, thanks for your ... hmm, useful answer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)