• Jan 3rd, 2013 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 8, 2008
210 posts
44 upvotes
ignoreme wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 9:37 pm
I believe T4i(18-135) for $750 is better than D60(18-135) for $900. T4i do D60's job but lighter, and its video function is way better. Luckily I took the last T4i(18-135) this evening at the Yonge/Dundas FS.
For auto focus video on T4i you need the 18-135 STM lens which is not the one included. So your video is no better off then the 60d.
Dec 10, 2002
626 posts
21 upvotes
60D is outdated, I would recommend 7d or 6d
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7737 posts
3646 upvotes
go77306 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 10:10 pm
60D is outdated, I would recommend 7d or 6d
How is that even a relevant recommendation? 6d body alone is $2k+ while we're talking about a $900 combo here.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2468 posts
215 upvotes
What about Nikon D7000? Or is this thread dedicated to Canon shooters? :P
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Mar 5, 2007
277 posts
49 upvotes
niuroufensi wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 11:20 pm
is 7d old than 60D
Yes, by about a year, click on DSLR Timeline near the bottom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

Note thought that age shouldn't be the only thing determining choice.

FWIW the 7D, 60D and 650D (T4i) all use the same sensor, and have alot of features in common. What you REALLY get with the 7D is much faster FPS and of course being a single digit body way stronger build quality and environmental sealing (when used with the right lens of course). OTOH, it is quite a bit more expensive (although prices have dropped for both the 7D and 60D like crazy recently).
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
Depends, the 60D is a little over two years old and the T4i is the new kid on the block.
Same sensor doesn't mean same IQ as the surrounding and supporting systems are at least as vital to the final image as the sensor itself. like metering system to calculate the exposure settings, firmware for in camera processing, Af system to determine where to focus,etc...
Also the 60D and T4i don't have the same sensor but the last generation of DIGIC 4 share it (T2i, T3i, 60D, 7D).

IQ wise they're pretty close but ergonomically the 60D is leaps and bounds ahead of the T4i. Firstly the Viewfinder is Prism instead of mirror fed and lets more ligh through making for much brighter viewfinder. AF and metering are great on both, the TOP LCD has all needed finctions toset and shoot and you can fold in the svreen a battery charge with limited reviewsand few liveview on the pictures lasts me anywhere between 1200-1400 exposures. Both are able to remotely fire speedlights no difference here. the touch screen is nice but IMHO only useful for video and liveview magnified detail focusing. Sweet but not really THAT useful.
Feature wise the T4i has some nice addditions and comes out ahead.
Core functionality and IQ is basically the same
Ergonomically the 60D is quite a bit ahead and just lets you shoot more comfortably.
So basically it comes down to features vs. ergonomy...

Not to forget that these are able to resolve details and light at a level that is amazing compared to just 5 years ago, most of us will never use these vbodies to their fuill potential and the quarreling on features o I are practically ridiculous IMHO as we're b**ching on such a high level over practical non issues. There is really no bad DSLR out there anymore (for years already). These are all able to resolve better detail than old 35mm film in lower light than ever possible and all possibly handheld... never good enough eh? :)
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
1619 posts
133 upvotes
the t4i is much better in terms of features, inferior in build

however, i'd say boxing day deals for the t4i were warm at best. even with the 18-135mm lens. nothing to go nuts over.
RFD Damage since August '08 = lost track
May 2, 2005
77 posts
2 upvotes
Hi..just did a search on Nikon d7000...and your post popped up...last day for Henry's d7000 with 18-200mm -- good price ~1400...no doubt new models will be coming out, hence discount..but I have been thinking about this purchase for the past month, and will purchase today. Regards.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2007
2375 posts
651 upvotes
Ottawa
norgos wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 10:43 am
the t4i is much better in terms of features, inferior in build

however, i'd say boxing day deals for the t4i were warm at best. even with the 18-135mm lens. nothing to go nuts over.
Compare to last year Boxing Day, actually the price now is pretty good already. Last year Boxing Day you could only buy a T3i with 18-55mm lens for $699, this year you can buy a T4i with the 18-55mm lens for $599. $100 cheaper plus it is a T4i.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/can ... f64fccen02
Mar 5, 2007
277 posts
49 upvotes
pompoco wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 10:32 am
Ergonomically the 60D is quite a bit ahead and just lets you shoot more comfortably.
So basically it comes down to features vs. ergonomy...
I'd agree with you in most areas, but there is one benefit of a "cheaper" body: the 60D/7D are heavier (the 60D and 7D are close to the same, about 1.7lbs, the T4i is 1.27lbs). While that's a good thing for balance when using a really nice lens, when travelling it can make a difference.

I just came back from a week long trip with the T4i and I gotta say, the weight difference mattered. I was able to carry the T4i for the whole day without any sort of fatigue. The 60D/7D would have most certainly stressed me a bit more. It's still heavier then my first DSLR (the XS, only 1 pound!) though, well worth it when you look at the results though.

TTYL
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
1516 posts
203 upvotes
EDMONTON
repatch wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 5:23 pm
It's a good deal, whether it's the deal for you it depends.

The T4i is very much the same body (while the 60D is technically one level up from the T4i, the T4i has many newer features that makes it very comparable). So, with that said, for that price you can get the T4i with the STM lens. This is important if you are at all interested in video. I have both the non STM and STM version of this lens, and while the glass is identical, the focusing is COMPLETELY SILENT on the STM, while on the non-STM it makes quite a racket in videos.

My personal opinion is either go with the T4i and STM lens.

TTYL
Different body. The dial is on the other side and the 60D has a top LCD screen....

I currently have a t4i with 40mm pancake STM. I actually prefer this lens at the moment over the 50mm f1.4 usm
RFD Etiquette:
- If you are going to shoot down a deal by referencing an expired sale or past deals, please provide us with a working time machine!
Mar 5, 2007
277 posts
49 upvotes
r22yu wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 3:01 pm
Manual Focus Override: IT DOES WORK. You have to set the AF mode to "One-Shot". Then when you half depress the shoot button it will autofocus, with the shoot button still held down, you can now adjust your focus manually (yes it remains silent due to the STM).
I stand corrected! Seems when I tried I didn't have it in one shot, which is unusual since that's how I normally shoot. Just gave it a try and right you are! Very cool. Not admittedly a feature I'll use alot on this lens (the odd macro shot perhaps) but still very cool. Thanks for the correction!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1179 posts
38 upvotes
lexar123 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 9:57 pm
For auto focus video on T4i you need the 18-135 STM lens which is not the one included. So your video is no better off then the 60d.
The package from FS does come with 18-135 STM lens. That's the reason I think T4i is the better choice, cheaper but more powerful.
Feb 23, 2010
375 posts
114 upvotes
EDMONTON
repatch wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 11:07 pm
I stand corrected! Seems when I tried I didn't have it in one shot, which is unusual since that's how I normally shoot. Just gave it a try and right you are! Very cool. Not admittedly a feature I'll use alot on this lens (the odd macro shot perhaps) but still very cool. Thanks for the correction!
You're welcome. I had a hard time figuring it out too and thought my lens was broken since several reviews mentioned the ability but I couldn't get it to work like a normal AF override.

I think the most underrated feature of the T4i is the touchscreen interface. I know it doesn't help you take better photos, but flipping through and inspecting my photos on the go using the touchscreen is leagues faster and easier than the traditional way with the d-pad/zoom buttons. For my recent trip it meant:
1) Less time wasted deleting crappy shots.
2) Less time wasted making sure I got a good shot to know if I needed another or if I could move on. Zooming/panning through photos works just like how it would on your smart phone with swiping/pinching gestures.

As an amateur I'm loving the touchscreen and hope all future Canon's have it when I'm ready to upgrade bodies.
× < >