Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Future Shop

FS: De Buyer Frying Pans 50% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2013 1:06 pm
Tags:
None
17 replies
Jun 7, 2008
254 posts
25 upvotes
Winnipeg
thanks; some really good reviews
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
zz000ter wrote: BB has the same special

How non-stick are these really?
Has anyone used them?

Reviews seem pretty positive
http://www.amazon.com/De-Buyer-Mineral- ... cr_acr_txt

Interesting review picture here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... F8&index=1
Gas stove maybe? Not sure how it works out on a conventional electric range.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1262 posts
473 upvotes
Winnipeg
Seems to me all the non-stick eventually become sticky.

I saw in the instructions for one that you should not put it in the dishwasher - I suppose the strong detergent used can strip off the non-stick coating.

The instructions also said not to use 'Pam' or equivalent non-stick spray.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
We've been using an old thread from september for these sales since they occur so frequently. de-buyer-frying-pans-sale-again-stock-f ... a-1384316/

That image from amazon doesn't look seasoned at all. The non-stick isn't fully non-stick aka brand new ceramic coated pan before it begins failing. Oil is still required for cooking (also helps season the pan). Non-stick properties are not as good as cast iron but similar. The pans are lighter than cast iron but still pretty heavy. Cleanup is simple, hot water and detergent if absolutely necessary. Add a drop of oil and spread with paper towel. Much easier than cleaning a stainless steel pan. These are the best pans I've used.
Jun 25, 2006
230 posts
439 upvotes
mart242 wrote: Why interesting? That's what they look like after a few uses.
Mine doesn't look like that at all (but maybe mine isnt seasoned right??)

Mine WAS nice smooth glossy black but then the seasoning started to flake off a bit. Its still black now, but not as smooth.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
ditched all my regular non-stick pans for cast iron but picked up one of these last time they were on sale. it's okay but I prefer my cast iron pans more. I can't seam to get the seasoning right on this carbon steel pan. it keeps on coming off.... I'm just going to stick with cast iron
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
rogio wrote: Mine doesn't look like that at all (but maybe mine isnt seasoned right??)

Mine WAS nice smooth glossy black but then the seasoning started to flake off a bit. Its still black now, but not as smooth.
Exactly. Give if a few more uses and it will flake even more. Just like the post above, I'm having a tough time getting the seasoning to stick on and it's definitely not super smooth. I'm hoping a few more uses will take care of that.

The crepe pan I got is awesome however. Crepes never stick to it and I only use butter for the 1st crepe.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1360 posts
762 upvotes
Very very very temped to buy. Luckily after thinking about it too much it sold out.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
If anyone wants an 12.5" in the GTA, I have one brand new, see my ad in the BST section

edit: forgot it was a 12.5"
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Are they easy to use? i.e., heavy? We have a Henkels 18/10 now and it's pretty heavy. We looked at a few cast iron pans at the store and those are almost impossible. We're looking for something around 12".

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
best seasoning method imo is use the potato skin method to remove the seasoning, then do many incredibly thin layers of flax seed oil. bring that super thin layer to its smoking point, then pull it off the heat, after it stops smoking and has cooled for roughly a minute, wipe the residual oil off with a clean paper towel. wait until it is totally cool before applying a second layer. I was the OP on the last big sale a few months ago and I use mine all the time. They will last you a lifetime, and once a solid seasoning is on them (10-15 uber thin layers) then you are golden.

If anyone needs any further info feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help out. They are worth the heavy price of purchase since you will have them forever. Cheers
Jun 25, 2006
230 posts
439 upvotes
Richfields wrote: best seasoning method imo is use the potato skin method to remove the seasoning, then do many incredibly thin layers of flax seed oil. bring that super thin layer to its smoking point, then pull it off the heat, after it stops smoking and has cooled for roughly a minute, wipe the residual oil off with a clean paper towel. wait until it is totally cool before applying a second layer. I was the OP on the last big sale a few months ago and I use mine all the time. They will last you a lifetime, and once a solid seasoning is on them (10-15 uber thin layers) then you are golden.

If anyone needs any further info feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help out. They are worth the heavy price of purchase since you will have them forever. Cheers
And no issues with flaking? Because this is exactly what I did and its flaking.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
rogio wrote: And no issues with flaking? Because this is exactly what I did and its flaking.
Same here... ended up doing a balsamic vinegar reduction after cooking I don't know what and it flaked. I was pretty pissed. I'm on induction, I think that it may be different on gas since the flame will also head the side of the pan.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
Richfields wrote: best seasoning method imo is use the potato skin method to remove the seasoning, then do many incredibly thin layers of flax seed oil. bring that super thin layer to its smoking point, then pull it off the heat, after it stops smoking and has cooled for roughly a minute, wipe the residual oil off with a clean paper towel. wait until it is totally cool before applying a second layer. I was the OP on the last big sale a few months ago and I use mine all the time. They will last you a lifetime, and once a solid seasoning is on them (10-15 uber thin layers) then you are golden.

rogio wrote: And no issues with flaking? Because this is exactly what I did and its flaking.
I did 6-8 layers of flax seed oil and it looked pretty good and solid, especially in the middle, and most of it came off in the first use. I don't have this problem with my cast iron pans
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1162 posts
110 upvotes
I was excited for a second then I found out it's Expired :mad:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)