Expired Hot Deals

[Future Shop] FS: Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70 Speaker (save $1500 /pair) $499 ea.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2012 6:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 11, 2010
50 posts
3 upvotes

[Future Shop] FS: Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70 Speaker (save $1500 /pair) $499 ea.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 6bd956en02

Great deal for very decent speakers. $998 for a pair vs. $2000.

T.
37 replies
Nov 24, 2007
98 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Excellent speakers, very well reviewed when they first came out and were ONLY available in specialty audio retailers for $2500/pr or more. Energy changed it's distribution after (or shortly before) they were bought by Klipsch, and switched to hi/lo pricing and volume sales through Future Shop... but they are still a fairly high-end speaker at a PHENOMENAL price.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
orange260z wrote:
Dec 26th, 2011 10:01 pm
Excellent speakers, very well reviewed when they first came out and were ONLY available in specialty audio retailers for $2500/pr or more. Energy changed it's distribution after (or shortly before) they were bought by Klipsch, and switched to hi/lo pricing and volume sales through Future Shop... but they are still a fairly high-end speaker at a PHENOMENAL price.

That's a very good price for those speakers. The only issue you'll have if you buy a pair these days is if you want to have a matching centre channel and surrounds to complete a mutl-channel surround setup. The RC line has been discontinued and you can only buy it new at some stores in the USA or peruse your local craigslist/kijiji or Canuck Audio Mart for used speakers from that line.
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Jun 15, 2011
38440 posts
5535 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have a question, how does Energy as a brand stand up to the KEF brand? Was just curious that's all.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Apr 1, 2004
5069 posts
1035 upvotes
They're both good in general. The RC are very highly regarded speakers. Problem is, as VCR said, is that unless you plan on using them for 2.0/2.1, you'd at least want a matching center which may be hard to find.
[OP]
May 11, 2010
50 posts
3 upvotes
rahzel wrote:
Dec 27th, 2011 12:56 pm
They're both good in general. The RC are very highly regarded speakers. Problem is, as VCR said, is that unless you plan on using them for 2.0/2.1, you'd at least want a matching center which may be hard to find.
You can also get the matching Center LC-R on Ebay brand new for around 300 USD. I got the set for a stereo setup as these speakers have very high efficiency rating and are good with tube amps as well.

T.
Nov 28, 2006
174 posts
1 upvote
Vanns.com
Lookup the vsw10 sub and select bundle

Rc-70 x2
Rc-lcr
Rc-10
Vsw10 sub

$1600 usd all in

But only ships to usd so can use a friend or use something like cbiusa
Deal of Fame
LOGITECH VXR Laser Mouse - $6.97 + tax Reg. $93 + tax
Sony 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2 - 1.99 + tax Reg. $89.99 + tax
Sony Playsation 3 HDMI + USB 2.0 Cable pack - $3.99 + tax Reg. $69.99 + tax
2/$30 + tax XBOX/PS3 games Reg. $59.99 + tax/each
Free SonyStyle Products (Blu Rays, PS3 Games, PS3 Accessories) - Reg. $24.99 - $54.99 + tax
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1008 posts
128 upvotes
orange260z wrote:
Dec 26th, 2011 10:01 pm

+1,

Very nice speakers. I own lower/older line of C-500 with matching C-C100 center channel (bought from amazon.com) these sound amazing in my HT setup in basement very well.
At least the ones I have were "made in Canada" (another bonus)... ;)
Nov 8, 2001
541 posts
27 upvotes
Victoria
I thought seriously about these for my 2.1 system when I saw them, but just couldn't get past the black cabinets.

When ever I've heard any speaker from the RC or Connoisseur line, I've been impressed. But I listen to that system with the lights on - so I'd want a nice veneer on the speakers!!

Anybody that ends up with these should be very happy.
Nov 26, 2003
738 posts
82 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
I'm surprised that there still 8 in stock. I bought the RC-LCR once but after the break-in period I returned them because I liked my Polk Audio Csi6 better. I made a lot of A/B testing and I decided to keep my Polk. So it's hard but I'll pass on those ones. I have Veritas VSB at the back, which I paid the demo at Future shop... $200 a pair!

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... u=10155132
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12122 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
You could look at the Veritas line for a speaker with a similar sound to the rc-lcr.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2149 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
How would the RC-70 compare to say B&W 683/684?
Nov 5, 2009
94 posts
4 upvotes
It absolutely blows my mind that a month after Boxing Day Future Shop still has these IN STOCK for $499 with Free Shipping. A couple of weeks ago they went even lower yet the stock level hardly changed. :facepalm:

These would be perfect for an all matching 5.1 setup, sure they are overkill for surrounds but at that price why not.

I used to have 4 RC-70's but downgraded to 4 RC-10's due to apartment dwelling...I kid you not I'd buy 7 of these right now if I had a Basement Home Theater. Ah well, at least someone else is gonna enjoy these speakers.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
I purchased these RC-70's alongside of a pair of Klipsch RF-82 to compare side by side on my own equipment in my own acoustic environment... Not a bad pair of speakers, but much preferred the Klipsch RF82's over these... Needless to say the RC-70's went back to the store. Not to say its a worse speaker, but RC-70's had a few tonal characteristics I could not live with... But at this price who cares really, worth a shot.