Expired Hot Deals

[Future Shop] FS - Frigidaire Gallery 20.5 Cu. Ft. Upright Freezer (GLFH21F8HW) White ($595, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2013 9:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1375 posts
247 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 11:09 pm
How much does a lay-down comparable sized freezer cost?

And why would you take an upright over a lay-down?
What
From an energy perspective alone, the trunk style is better because when you open it, you don't lose ALL the cold air instantly.
From a retail-space perspective, you need the same amound of space for both (when you factor in the swing-out space needed for the door opening).

Just curious., but I seem to recall even large lay-down freezers being quite a bit cheaper than this, so just wondering what the attraction is.
Accessibility.

Chest freezers - food is stacked on top of other food.

Upright - you have shelving so everything is much more accessible.

I'm buying this from Leons.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1375 posts
247 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 11:21 am
$699 seems to be a regular price?!
No.

For example, Sears has it at $849 (on sale, reg is $899).

Frost Free, Energy Star, 20.5 cf = good deal.
Dec 2, 2010
117 posts
99 upvotes
Yes accessibility is the reason we went with an upright. We found it difficult to find and rotate the things in our chest freezer, and sometimes had food either spoil or maybe not taste as fresh because it ended up in the freezer too long. Now we can see everything we have.

This has the added bonus of not costing us more money when we buy more food simply because we don't realize we already had it.

In addition, if you're replacing an older freezer, you need to realize that some of those old chest freezers (although durable) are not very energy efficient. We actually got rid of an older 20 cubic foot chest freezer with a "coop" label and the difference in our power bill from simply shutting it off was $30 PER MONTH. Crazy... it seemed to be keeping things frozen but was costing a lot.

The new one is an energy star and is rated to use $73 in electricity per YEAR.
Apr 12, 2011
24 posts
5 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 11:21 am
$699 seems to be a regular price?!
You're kinda right, I think canadianappliances.ca always has it for 699... but then you'd have to get Price match at another store and then there's shipping... I personally did it for convenience but I think if you wait for a sale, you might be able to get it for cheaper as the OP mentioned, like the 10% off sale off frigidaire

I probably should have waited too, considering I have to install an outlet in the basement for it haha... but it all happened so fast, never ordered an appliance online haha slippery slope
Apr 1, 2008
84 posts
6 upvotes
15% off deal is back on for GLFH21F8HW (20.5 Cubic Feet Freezer). I bought mine for 679 two weeks ago because I needed it right away, however I was able to get a refund of the difference.

Price in cart is showing

GLFH21F8HW $594.99
Delivery$49.99
Taxes (ON) 83.85
Total $728.83

I'm sure you can probably PM and get cheaper somewhere (sears!?).

I just got delivery on this freezer and its BIG! Barely squeezed into the basement.

You must enter SAVEMORE at checkout to see the 15% off.
Jul 8, 2005
877 posts
91 upvotes
Thanks OP and other posters! I just ordered one to be delivered thanks to your posts. I am not sure I want to play around with Sears or not right now to save 50 bucks. I am not too fond of Sears due to the recent online lawnmower order issues.
Jul 8, 2005
877 posts
91 upvotes
I just ordered it from our local Sears Appliance and Mattress as they price matched the freezer for $637.87. Not bad. I wanted it delivered but I can get it home one way or the other and saving 90 bucks makes it a lot easier to do so! I cancelled my Futureshop order right after the confirmation. It will arrive at the local Sears A&M on the 11th.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1896 posts
75 upvotes
feminazi wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 2:43 pm
I just ordered it from our local Sears Appliance and Mattress as they price matched the freezer for $637.87. Not bad. I wanted it delivered but I can get it home one way or the other and saving 90 bucks makes it a lot easier to do so! I cancelled my Futureshop order right after the confirmation. It will arrive at the local Sears A&M on the 11th.
$637 including taxes? Thats even cheaper. I thought Sears would have just matched the price at $594, or did they give a bigger discount?
Jul 8, 2005
877 posts
91 upvotes
They did a price beat of 10% of the difference between their price of $899.99 and Futureshop's price of ~$594 which worked out to an additional ~$30 of savings. Their delivery is 70 bucks so I decided a local pickup and a called-in favour or some other means of getting it home and in the basement was the way to go.
Dec 1, 2012
12 posts
Leon's delivered, freezer came and is all setup. It's huge! Reason the chest freezer actually takes up more space is because usually you will have an open area in front of it, regardless if it's a chest or upright. So you would still want the open space in front of the chest freezer in order to walk up and open it. Only you're using up a lot more width space, where as height usually isn't usable space, so who cares how high it is as long as you have enough ceiling height (it's 72"..not that short!). Though it really comes down to accessibility. With a chest freezer, if you jam pack it you'll have a hard time quickly finding what you want, needless to say you'll have the door open longer letting out just as much cold or even more compared to the upright.

In my case, I'm replacing a '74 giant chest freezer that came with the house, so I actually qualify for Hydro-One's old appliance free pickup program they're doing throughout the new year (http://www.hydroone.com/MyHome/SaveEner ... ickup.aspx) So I'll sure be saving a few bucks each year with this, $20-30/monthly (roughly) so in a little more then 2 years I'll have paid for the new one.

Anyways, not a bad deal for Leon's considering freezer's aren't ever a feature front page flyer sale item.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1375 posts
247 upvotes
simtrabikes wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 8:55 pm
Leon's delivered, freezer came and is all setup. It's huge! Reason the chest freezer actually takes up more space is because usually you will have an open area in front of it, regardless if it's a chest or upright. So you would still want the open space in front of the chest freezer in order to walk up and open it. Only you're using up a lot more width space, where as height usually isn't usable space, so who cares how high it is as long as you have enough ceiling height (it's 72"..not that short!). Though it really comes down to accessibility. With a chest freezer, if you jam pack it you'll have a hard time quickly finding what you want, needless to say you'll have the door open longer letting out just as much cold or even more compared to the upright.

In my case, I'm replacing a '74 giant chest freezer that came with the house, so I actually qualify for Hydro-One's old appliance free pickup program they're doing throughout the new year (http://www.hydroone.com/MyHome/SaveEner ... ickup.aspx) So I'll sure be saving a few bucks each year with this, $20-30/monthly (roughly) so in a little more then 2 years I'll have paid for the new one.

Anyways, not a bad deal for Leon's considering freezer's aren't ever a feature front page flyer sale item.
Could you take a picture of it in its setting? Ie. In relation to other things in the room.

I have mine en route and I'm still deciding whether to put it in the kitchen or down in the basement.

Also, the 15% off promo is back on at FS.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1896 posts
75 upvotes
feminazi wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 5:36 pm
They did a price beat of 10% of the difference between their price of $899.99 and Futureshop's price of ~$594 which worked out to an additional ~$30 of savings. Their delivery is 70 bucks so I decided a local pickup and a called-in favour or some other means of getting it home and in the basement was the way to go.
nice. Just found their policy and looks like they only give the 10% extra if on a sears card. Or did they let you use a regular card?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2010
4490 posts
1215 upvotes
Mississauga
scoop wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 10:10 pm
nice. Just found their policy and looks like they only give the 10% extra if on a sears card. Or did they let you use a regular card?

I searched Sears site for the price match policy and I found it but it says Excludes Major Appliances, Sewing Machines, Vacuum Cleaners, Home Furnishings, Small Appliances, Furniture, Mattresses and Electronics
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1896 posts
75 upvotes
immortal_kssss wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:57 pm
I searched Sears site for the price match policy and I found it but it says Excludes Major Appliances, Sewing Machines, Vacuum Cleaners, Home Furnishings, Small Appliances, Furniture, Mattresses and Electronics
this is what i found. only on sears card though. Id rather put it on my regular card and get the extra year warranty.

https://secure.sears.ca/content/custome ... match-plus
× < >