Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

FS: Hamilton Beach Custom Grind Deluxe Coffee Grinder $20 (reg $30)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2012 6:29 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener

[Amazon.com] FS: Hamilton Beach Custom Grind Deluxe Coffee Grinder $20 (reg $30)

Future Shop has 6 to sell online for $20.

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SS400_.jpg[/IMG]

CustomGrind™ Deluxe 80374C
  • Large 15 Cup Capacity, removable, dishwasher safe stainless steel grinding chamber with durable stainless steel blade
  • Patented one touch, hands free operation, simply select the number of cups and the type of coffeemaker from Percolators to Espresso, press start and the grinder automatically stops when the proper finesse is reached
  • Coffee scoop and clean brush included
Selling on amazon and BB for $32 and $30.

3.5/5 (112 reviews) on amazon.com

Similar to the pricier Melitta ($40 @ Walmart)

Might be a good intro option for those who don't want to pay for a burr grinder (yet).

I know its a blade grinder, and properly suffer from the same issues you get using any blade grinder (grind inconsistency and heat exposure during grinding), that said according to the many favourable reviews this doesn't seem to be an issue on this specific grinder (mainly because you can control speed as well as grinding time).

If you can't find a cheap filler to get free shipping chances are you can place and order on BB to get free shipping then call and get your order PM'ed with FS price (usually they wouldn't add ship on top of that).
15 replies
Aug 10, 2003
433 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
this is a great blade grinder exactly as the description says:
- large capacity metal cup for when you want stronger coffees or have more guests;
- hands free: can do other things while it grinds and the grind is always consistent;
- super easy disassembly for through cleaning
- BONUS 1: coffee grinds do not cling to the plastic cover/housing!
- BONUS 2: great cable management system: screw the base and the cord disappears

I keep it on one setting for everything and it just works.. can't be bothered to fiddle with the settings each time.. had it for 2+ years and it's humming along nicely

:!: you do have to be careful when you screw the plastic top on (to close the grinder) so that you don't break off the clips; so don't rush it, other than that 4.5/5
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
majic wrote:
I keep it on one setting for everything and it just works.. can't be bothered to fiddle with the settings each time.. had it for 2+ years and it's humming along nicely

:!: you do have to be careful when you screw the plastic top on (to close the grinder) so that you don't break off the clips; so don't rush it, other than that 4.5/5

Thanks for the mini review majic, even better, the 5 years warranty should cover any "expected" issues with the clips.

btw, which setting you have it fixed on ? the mid drip filter one ?
Aug 10, 2003
433 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
aasoror wrote: Thanks for the mini review majic, even better, the 5 years warranty should cover any "expected" issues with the clips.

btw, which setting you have it fixed on ? the mid drip filter one ?

np.. wow, 5 years! that's good.. i missed that.. i wonder if the warranty covers all components (including the plastic cover) or just the mechanical parts... they may quote misuse on the cover

as for the settings:
  1. i have the dial set to the second from the left (between espresso and drip)
  2. i leave the vertical lever on 12 cups
  3. i normally fill the cup with beans between 8 and 12 cups line (this amount usually lasts me 2 days but fill less if you want freshly ground coffee each time)
  4. i let it run for two cycles (on, let it shut off on its own, on again)
if i fill less than 8 cups of beans i turn it off manually 1/2 or 2/3rds through the second cycle

i find that this one setting works just fine for french press and espresso alike
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Tested couple of days ago with some "Van Houtte" beans, medium setting (drip), got fairly consistent grind that worked perfectly on our Keurig B60 and ekobrew.
Sep 2, 2007
769 posts
285 upvotes
A burr grinder does a far better job. Far more consistent than any blade grinder I have used
That is the good news

The bad news is burr grinders usually cost over $100
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
billrush wrote: A burr grinder does a far better job. Far more consistent than any blade grinder I have used
That is the good news

The bad news is burr grinders usually cost over $100
It is more than a consistency issue. The blade grinder heats up the beans a lot which causes the oils in the beans to vaporize. The oils are what give coffee the flavor.
Apr 27, 2008
335 posts
63 upvotes
majic wrote: :!: you do have to be careful when you screw the plastic top on (to close the grinder) so that you don't break off the clips; so don't rush it, other than that 4.5/5
I have using this grinder quite a few years. The clip did break off and the plastic lid was cracked not long after purchasing.

Never bother returning but it still does a good job grinding coffee. Powerful blade, easy to clean and store.

When grinding lighter roast bean, the skin of the bean tends to stick on the cover due to static electricity.

20 bucks is a good buy comparing other similar product.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
Not a bad deal going to pick 1 up and 1 left in stock it says
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2442 posts
1043 upvotes
will888 wrote: It is more than a consistency issue. The blade grinder heats up the beans a lot which causes the oils in the beans to vaporize. The oils are what give coffee the flavor.
TRue but it makes a fancy spice grinder

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)