[Future Shop] FS: Martin Logan Dynamo 500 10" Subwoofer

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2014 11:59 pm
Aug 3, 2013
137 posts
26 upvotes
bingbing81 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 10:55 am
I bought this thing and for my needs it works well for now. I do feel like it is missing a little and in the future will probably upgrade.
I have a complete 7.1 klipsch setup (rf82, rc62, rb61, rs42) and was leaning toward a klipsch sub. I recommend it over the klipsch models. While listening to the klipsch I felt they were a bit muffled or disrorted compared to the dynamo. One klipsch demo had a definite rattle and I was concerned about build quality.
so you have a 7.0 klipsch setup plus a dynamo sub?

im surprised about your klipsch sub findings.

my friend bought this one:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 474e1aen02

and it is really nice.
super tight and responsive, not muddy or boomy at all.

actually i was so impressed that I bought a smaller cheaper one (rpw-10) and im totally happy.

both subs have great reviews as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3747 posts
167 upvotes
akito925 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 11:47 am
All This Talk about this so called SVS Subs, is there anyone who owns this sub? and if so, Can you give is a DEMO how this subs sound?? $1500 for a sub is uummmmm out of my budget, Plus I don't think the neighbors in my condo unit wouldn't enjoy hearing lol
I live in a condo as well and to be honest, you should be looking at something like a Polk PSW111 for condo duty. It does the job well, small footprint, decent quality and you should be able to get it far less than $500. I too live in a condo and have 3 subs, 2 considerably more powerful. Getting anything beyond that would be asking for trouble. I acquired my other 2 subs because I was just reading too much on AVSforum and I wanted to move my PSW111 to my computer after getting rid of my Z5500's and then the third one because it was so cheap...

If you lived in a single detached home and were trying to pressurize a large family room open to a kitchen, dining room and hallway, then we'd be talking more of along the lines of a SVS/Rhythmik/PSA/DIY subs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9307 posts
988 upvotes
Ottawa
24bit96 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 12:43 pm
right...

since this thread IS about this model, your overall assumption of the brand is not really relevant.
as a matter of fact, you are doing a disservice to people by recommending something you never used especially since THIS PARTICULAR UNIT has absolutely horrible reviews on newegg.com

I would never rate (for example) a cheap sony walkman cause I used to have some other sony model that was good

people: read the reviews on newegg by people that actually owned this thing.
there are 5 reviews: one 2star, and four 1star ratings lol.
I think those are the worst rating ive ever seen on newegg.

I wouldnt chance it. but to each his own
I don't think I'm doing anybody any disservice and here's why

- my experience with their subs shows they sound good and I don't believe this one will be any different. There are enough positve reviews of their sound quality that I'm confident that this product will also sound good. As for the reviews saying the product sounded crappy...subwoofer setup problems are very common...we have no idea if the user completely messed up his settings or expecting thunderous bass out of a 125W amp in a tiny box

- ML products have been pretty good at meeting their specs and I don't believe this one will be any different (can't say the same of other brands)

- Most importantly I would put my money where my mouth is and recommend this deal to my family if they had a need for one. Heck if I needed one I would buy one for myself. I always buy everything on a credit card with buyer protection so I'm well covered if it goes dead though

- I bought a set of their speakers last month so I do have confidence in the brand's quality.

- There's a reason I keep bringing up that other three letter brand because if you willing to make a bigger investment, the other sub will just kill these wimpy Futureshop subs..I recommend this sub specifically for small room setups where this sub won't run out of steam filling the room with bass.

- as with anything one should look at a number of reviews and get as much data as possible. Even the best products have a bad batch but that's what warranty and return policies are for
Jun 17, 2007
7 posts
I bought this one for $249 during boxing week and couldn't be happier. Bass is super tight enhancing what my JAMO S606HCS3 (5.0) system was missing. Gives movies new life. I need to crank the level down to 40-50% as it is surprisingly loud. Thinking of getting another for the future HT build to pair with the one I already own.
Any chance to get $50 back from Future Shop with the lover price within 30 days?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1234 posts
105 upvotes
How does this compare to JBL Studio 150p?
Jul 22, 2009
560 posts
94 upvotes
Brampton
just go ask you will get it, if not return old and buy new.

EgorOneNut wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 2:31 pm
I bought this one for $249 during boxing week and couldn't be happier. Bass is super tight enhancing what my JAMO S606HCS3 (5.0) system was missing. Gives movies new life. I need to crank the level down to 40-50% as it is surprisingly loud. Thinking of getting another for the future HT build to pair with the one I already own.
Any chance to get $50 back from Future Shop with the lover price within 30 days?
Jan 19, 2008
682 posts
95 upvotes
Pierrefonds
So what's better? the Klipsh KW-100 deal or this Martin Logan Dynamo 500? I've got the Klipsh but I'd return it and spend the extra $20 on this if it's better.
Mar 10, 2008
843 posts
43 upvotes
I was able to score an open box of the Klipsch RPW-10 (which netted me an extra 10% off).

But now I'm not sure if I should go for the Dynamo instead. This is confusing!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
4881 posts
1008 upvotes
Cornwall PE
freddievercetti wrote:
Jan 17th, 2014 8:10 pm
I second that sentiment. Once I watched War of the Worlds in Blu-Ray with my SVS over my older sub from Best Buy, the moment those lasers start shooting, the machines walking around Earth, I no longer felt like I was in my room anymore, but live at the scene.
Video is 50% of the immersion, the other being audio. Don't skimp on audio if you can afford it and enjoy it.
Try 'master and commander, the far side of the world' The cannon battle scene between the two ships will give your sub a really good work out. Excellent movie as well.

[OP]
Mar 13, 2007
708 posts
90 upvotes
Calgary
Wow guys...this is what I was afraid of. Come back after a day; BOOM....arguing what is the best sub again...lol...I just posted the deal I saw, it's not about what is best out there. All brands offers a combination of price vs quality vs service...etc. we just pick what we deem to best meet our current needs.

It's about best quality paying the least. There are many brands out there for all our needs. Let's just play nice.

Thank all those that participate in these forums and post deals we would normally would miss; and appreciate all speaking from experience that give us their opinion so we learn.

We are all masters of our money and spend them on what we need, not on what others think :)
Jul 6, 2009
643 posts
72 upvotes
sexyblackbmw wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 11:46 am
That's incorrect. Martin Logan Leased a part of Paradigms giant facility due to the fact 5+ years ago it was much less expensive to manufacturer speakers in Canada.... they are still two separate entities and ARE NOT sharing any technology or design... other than the rebadging of the small theatre in a box setup...
That's not entirely accurate. Both companies are owned by the same parent company, both companies sell the Perfect Bass Kit and subs designed to work with the Perfect Bass Kit and their wireless transmitters are the same as well. It's also not a coincidence that Paradigm's flagship subs went to the 3-sided design like ML's subs after they became part of the same company (ShoreView Industries). You are correct that the products between the companies are mostly distinct, but they are parts of the same company and do share some technologies.

Back on topic, I would also recommend the Dynamo 500 at its price point. There was a big thread about it on Canuck Audio during boxing week and enough members there whose opinions I trust recommended it that I would go this route over Polk or Klipsch.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3395 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
bcodemz wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 12:15 am
I'd recommend the SVS PB1000 as well if you're buying a subwoofer. The difference between the SVS with any sub <$500 sub sold in BB/FS is night and day. Most subs you hear in stores or even movie theaters don't really reproduce bass accurately or with power. A normal <$500 subwoofer might vibrate your floors, and it will seem like you're watching an explosion in a movie. With a SVS PB1000 (in a normal sized room), you will FEEL the explosion. It really has to be heard (more like experienced) to believe.

However, ignorance is bliss. Once you experience powerful bass from a real subwoofer like SVS, there's no going back and your wallet will suffer (but you will be very happy!). I'd be very surprised if someone who's never heard good bass before and is looking to buy a subwoofer had a chance to hear the SVS and won't buy it afterwards.

One more point about why we recommend the PB1000 for $500 instead of any normal $500 sub. In Canada, excluding SVS's own subs, there isn't a sub under $1000 that can outperform the PB1000 in overall performance. In fact, I'm not even sure if there are any subs available in Canada <$1500 that can equal or outperform the PB1000. This changes if you can import a sub from the US, but that's costly given the shipping and import charges.
When I was looking for a sub I auditioned the SVS entry lvl sub. I can't remember what it was but it has been years ago. Sure it was a great sub and the rep from the Sonicboom store put on "House of Flying Daggers" and "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" for me to listen to. It was impressive but at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much on a sub and later found a 5.1 Polk set which included the PSW111 sub. I've been using that sub ever since and its been great. Not the best but good enough for me. I'll be looking to upgrade in the future though. I go to the US 2-3 times a year so if there's anything around $200-$300 please share.
Aug 3, 2013
137 posts
26 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 2:24 pm
There are enough positve reviews of their sound quality that I'm confident that this product will also sound good. As for the reviews saying the product sounded crappy...
you obviously havent read the newegg reviews.
none of them say the sub sounded crappy.
they all say the sub DIED after a short time
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9307 posts
988 upvotes
Ottawa
24bit96 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2014 10:31 pm
you obviously havent read the newegg reviews.
none of them say the sub sounded crappy.
they all say the sub DIED after a short time
five people got bad subs. As for bad sound, I was referring to amazon.com reviews indirectly

As I said, I would take the chance myself on this product. Sub amps are actually a common failure point on every brand, even my beloved SVS (I had one with a bad amp and it was fixed promptly). If you are worried, then buy with a credit card that extends warranty for an extra year and you'll have at least 4 years of good sound for your $200 (3 year standard warranty). Honestly I don't see it as a big deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1401 posts
182 upvotes
bought - for the pricepoint, cant really go wrong.
× < >