Shopping Discussion

FS - What is the general discount for an open box camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2014 6:18 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 5, 2013
624 posts
122 upvotes

FS - What is the general discount for an open box camera?

Is it 10% or $50 off?

Or, it depends on the camera price?

Now, I find a $800 "open box" camera at Futureshop, what is the price that they "should" sell it to me?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
depends.
i think the system automatically discounts 5%, but management can change that price.
if you see an open box item you like, you can always negotiate with them.
they don't like having open box in the inventory system, so they are eager to sell them. if it is a clearance item that's open box, you can usually get a good deal.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Pretty sure I got 10% on mine a few Christmases ago at FS. 10% is fair if the item is basically untouched and everything is there.

You should be able to get $80 off no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
10% I think is the standard amount. Any less and they are just being greedy.

I would try and get more then 10% off. You can negotiate the amount especially for higher priced items.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Don't assume that it is simply an "opened" box. I bought a dslr on clearance at Best Buy years ago and after I brought it home, I unpackaged it and found that it had been a returned camera that had been sent in for repair. The receipt for the repair was in the box. It served me well for a few years but if I had know that it was a repaired unit, I probably wouldn't have purchased it...if I remember correctly, the discount was around 10%, not much more.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
It can vary from location to location and from one salesperson to the next. So there's no price they "should" sell it for.

Future Shop often does silly stuff like 3% off open box item, and they hold to this while the new sealed item is on sale for 20% off and effectively much cheaper.

With some items it hardly matters if it's open box, but with cameras there's a lot of unknowns. Personally I'd want a really big discount and a really solid warranty if I bought an open camera.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Mars2012 wrote: Don't assume that it is simply an "opened" box. I bought a dslr on clearance at Best Buy years ago and after I brought it home, I unpackaged it and found that it had been a returned camera that had been sent in for repair. The receipt for the repair was in the box. It served me well for a few years but if I had know that it was a repaired unit, I probably wouldn't have purchased it...if I remember correctly, the discount was around 10%, not much more.
when i used to work at futureshop, occasionally, we'd get sent these 'repaired' units to sell.
i worked at the 'communications dept', (cameras, camcorders, cellphones, PDAs) and we'd get these units that were 'lemon' units, meaning they were accepted back by futureshop because of the lemon clause in PSP warranty: more than 3 repairs and the customer would get a brand new replacement. these things would be repaired, and put on the floor to be sold. these were clearly well used and well worn units, and would never qualify as refurbished product.

one time there was this sony camcorder, the top of the line camcorder we had at the time, retailing for around $2500.
a customer bought it, but returned it because a trim piece on the camcorder was loose. so i got the merchandisers to return it, and usually, we never see those things again, but the warehouse kept sending it back to our store. 3-4 times, if i recall correctly.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
I've seen open box cameras there that were more expensive than brand new ones
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
When I worked at Bestbuy, the starting point was 5%. The longer it was sitting there, the more was taken off.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I used to work in management at Future Shop and had authority to price open box items at whatever I saw fit. Some of the pricing would be based on the physical condition of the unit but it would also depend on how much opened inventory was in the store/ department at the time. I would also look at how much volume the store/ department and what the margin of the store/department was on that particular day since selling a large open box item at a cheap price would negatively affect the margin. There are a great deal more variables that can go into getting a really good deal on an open item and in some cases it is just being there at the right time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)