• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2011 10:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2003
249 posts
5 upvotes
On Lyngsat, its basically an information site which just gives you the frequency, which transponder, and which channels are on there and what type of encryption. so you can do a search through that to see what is not encrypted.

You are correct, both Nagra 2 and 3 are illegal to decrypt.

the ones that says mpeg2 or mpeg4 is basically the way its transmitted to your receiver, it can be encrypted or not.

on lyngsat each channel on each satellite will have a highlighted color, which is a creamish color and have a F icon which indicates FTA channels. here is the link http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

and you are correct, http://www.dishchannelchart.com is just a listing of all the channels from the american provider dish network which is a paid network. you can visit http://www.dishnetwork.com for more info about the provider.

budric wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 2:21 pm
Hi, thanks for the post. Can you help me understand the channel encoding on sites like http://www.lyngsat.com/
Which channels can I expect to view legally from the satellites listed there? I take it Nagra 2 and 3 are not legal to decrypt. What about DVB? Is that free? What about ones listed as mpeg2 etc?

The http://www.dishchannelchart.com/ site looks good, however are these channels part of a package you buy from people like Bell? Or are all these channels free?
Jun 27, 2006
103 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond Hill
teb...I just want to say thank you for the heads up reviews and I think your posting is very informative. I am sure when I am ready to utilize my satellite again I know which posting to turn to.

Cheers mate!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7352 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Great info teb!!!

Im planning on getting an HD receiver, but held back since im afraid b3v might be using switching to their new stream and the receiver will be useless. Is there a timeline that bell will switch?

Would you recommend for people to wait a bit before spending $400 and get a cheaper receiver for now.
Aug 22, 2003
126 posts
1 upvote
Hi, I just moved into a new house with an existing starchoice elliptical.

Is there any way to use the old SC dish without major modification? or should i get a whole new dish setup? I really only want 81, 92, 110, 119, and 129

I have a SV 8000hd
RF
[OP]
Nov 4, 2003
249 posts
5 upvotes
I've read in the other forums you can use a starchoice dish to catch 82,91,110,119, not too sure about 129 to that as well.

But I've also read on many place that the arm will have to be replaced since the starchoice dish arm is longer. I am not too familiar with that dish.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3226 posts
232 upvotes
Can anyone tell me if the latest firmware of the Sonicview 8000 HD supports upconverting SD material?

I'm buying a 58" Samsung Plasma this September and I'm worried how bad SD material will look.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1508 posts
421 upvotes
PCDawg wrote:
Jul 29th, 2008 4:01 pm
Great info teb!!!

Im planning on getting an HD receiver, but held back since im afraid b3v might be using switching to their new stream and the receiver will be useless. Is there a timeline that bell will switch?

Would you recommend for people to wait a bit before spending $400 and get a cheaper receiver for now.
My question as well. Should I wait it out until after Nagra 3 to get an HD receiver?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3125 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
From what I've read N3 is already in existence in Europe and is already cracked. Took them a month to do it but I'm not sure if the N3 there vs N3 here that Bell/DN are going to switch to are the same. Now Bell is swapping cards slowly and will switch to N3 sometime in the fall. DN is going to start there card swapping later this year and seeing how they have a lot of more customers to deal with, it won't be till late next year before they finish and switch to N3 all together. This is what I've read and from someone telling me at work. Is it partially or all true? Take a grain of salt since I'm not trying to deceive anyone nor spread rumors. There are plenty of sites out there that deal with FTA that will have all the answers. The answers to Nagra 3 being cracked or not is yet to be seen. Bottom line is, don't invest in any major equipment upgrades until all this blows over.
Jun 10, 2005
411 posts
95 upvotes
EH15 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 2:29 am
My question as well. Should I wait it out until after Nagra 3 to get an HD receiver?
Blakmajik made some good points in the post above. Here are some things to consider:

Is Nagra 3 hacked? Nagra 3 has been rumoured to have been cracked, but there are a lot of people who are very doubtful it has been cracked fully.

How long will it be down? No one knows how long Bev or DN will be down. I think on a previous card swap, it was down a total of 4 hours. On the flip side, Dire*tTV switched to cards about 4 years ago and it hasn't been cracked yet. It all depends.

When? It's rumoured that BEV is planning on switching to N3 this month, but as BlakMajik said, the Fall is a good estimate.

A word of advice and good quote that I got off one of the FTA forums: Don't invest more today than you are willing to lose tomorrow.

Personally, I'd wait for a few more months unless you're itching to get one. See if the reports of N3 being hacked are true once BEV switches to N3.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2003
249 posts
5 upvotes
Well put.

No one knows anything except the providers themselves.

Everything is in speculation from N3 being hacked to when Bell is going to turn it on.
Gophermofur wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 9:08 am
Blakmajik made some good points in the post above. Here are some things to consider:

Is Nagra 3 hacked? Nagra 3 has been rumoured to have been cracked, but there are a lot of people who are very doubtful it has been cracked fully.

How long will it be down? No one knows how long Bev or DN will be down. I think on a previous card swap, it was down a total of 4 hours. On the flip side, Dire*tTV switched to cards about 4 years ago and it hasn't been cracked yet. It all depends.

When? It's rumoured that BEV is planning on switching to N3 this month, but as BlakMajik said, the Fall is a good estimate.

A word of advice and good quote that I got off one of the FTA forums: Don't invest more today than you are willing to lose tomorrow.

Personally, I'd wait for a few more months unless you're itching to get one. See if the reports of N3 being hacked are true once BEV switches to N3.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3226 posts
232 upvotes
Estimating that N3 will be turned on in the Fall seems awfully fast.

How long has Bell been mailing customers their new cards?
[OP]
Nov 4, 2003
249 posts
5 upvotes
on an FTA forum which I just looked up.

Feb 12 2008 they have been mailing out cards.

you should check out the fta forums listed and they have a 46 page thread on it
Oct 22, 2005
440 posts
2 upvotes
Hi all,
I had an old pansat2500 that finally bit the dust couple months back. Ever since it did, I've never really looked for a new receiver so I'm not updated abot the scene but now I have some time. Can anyone recommend me a good receiver that is easy to use and update, I don't need HD and pvr would be nice. Hopefully I won't be spending more than $150, $200 max thanks for any inputs.
Jun 10, 2005
411 posts
95 upvotes
Alcetic wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 10:41 am
Hi all,
I had an old pansat2500 that finally bit the dust couple months back. Ever since it did, I've never really looked for a new receiver so I'm not updated abot the scene but now I have some time. Can anyone recommend me a good receiver that is easy to use and update, I don't need HD and pvr would be nice. Hopefully I won't be spending more than $150, $200 max thanks for any inputs.

Take a look at the SonicView 360. There are two models: Elite and (I forget the name of the other one).

The major difference between the two is that one of them (I think the Elite) ahs dual PVR, while the other one only has single PVR. They are getting popular.

If you want a more detailed response, you should post on an FTA website. They'll go nuts giving you suggestions.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2003
249 posts
5 upvotes
Here is the link to another thread about FTA receivers

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... =satellite

And the other model referred to in the above post is the sonicview 360 premier

Alcetic wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 10:41 am
Hi all,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)