None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2169 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto

FTA satellite TV installers in GTA?

Looking to get FTA satellite TV to my house located in Vaughan area.

I'm generally quite tech-savvy, and wanted to see if I can get it done myself. But when I tried to figure out this whole thing with receivers, cables, satellites, channels, frequencies etc, that seemed to be like a lot to understand and fine-tune, and possibly require further long-term hassle to maintain. Too much hassle for me to deal with.

Instead, I decided to get some company in GTA come to my place and install the whole thing for me.

Requirements:
1) I want to have a good selection of channels - mostly looking for local news, world news, and cartoons, plus some entertainment - game shows or whatever. Don't care much about sports and movies.
2) I want to have the company do the job from start to finish - installation of satellite on the roof, drilling if necessary, and not cause any damage in the process. They should provide their own hardware, satellite, receiver, mounting equipment, cables, and I want them to do QUALITY job, using QUALITY stuff - large dish that will get many channels and provide strong reception, proper receiver that's snappy to respond, cables that won't break in a year etc. Satellite should be installed in a way that won't require periodical adjustments (unless it's like once every couple of years). Basically, I just want it to be set up and forget about it.
3) I may need to connect more than one TV to the satellite.
4) I'd like to preferably have it all done for <$500, with hardware and tax included. Although really, I have no idea what's the expected price range for these services, and what's the price of proper hardware (not high-end, but not too basic either).

So, any recommendations on a company? Google shows that there's a number of companies existing in this line of business, but it's impossible to tell which companies do proper job, and which - not so proper.

Thanks.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11171 posts
2149 upvotes
Toronto
Negotiator wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 1:40 pm
Looking to get FTA satellite TV to my house located in Vaughan area.

I'm generally quite tech-savvy, and wanted to see if I can get it done myself. But when I tried to figure out this whole thing with receivers, cables, satellites, channels, frequencies etc, that seemed to be like a lot to understand and fine-tune, and possibly require further long-term hassle to maintain. Too much hassle for me to deal with.

Instead, I decided to get some company in GTA come to my place and install the whole thing for me.

Requirements:
1) I want to have a good selection of channels - mostly looking for local news, world news, and cartoons, plus some entertainment - game shows or whatever. Don't care much about sports and movies.
2) I want to have the company do the job from start to finish - installation of satellite on the roof, drilling if necessary, and not cause any damage in the process. They should provide their own hardware, satellite, receiver, mounting equipment, cables, and I want them to do QUALITY job, using QUALITY stuff - large dish that will get many channels and provide strong reception, proper receiver that's snappy to respond, cables that won't break in a year etc. Satellite should be installed in a way that won't require periodical adjustments (unless it's like once every couple of years). Basically, I just want it to be set up and forget about it.
3) I may need to connect more than one TV to the satellite.
4) I'd like to preferably have it all done for <$500, with hardware and tax included. Although really, I have no idea what's the expected price range for these services, and what's the price of proper hardware (not high-end, but not too basic either).

So, any recommendations on a company? Google shows that there's a number of companies existing in this line of business, but it's impossible to tell which companies do proper job, and which - not so proper.

Thanks.
+1

I would like to know the same information the OP is asking.

Too bad that there is a TV/Cable monopoly here in Canada that is crippling intentionally Free To Air Satellite Dishes and reception.

You should see how common and easy it is to get Free to Air Satellite Dishes/Receivers installed/setup in Asia, Europe and the Middle East from so many Satellites...with the most popular Satellites being: Hotbird, Eutelsat, Astra, Asiasat, Arabsat and Nile Sat.

It's so cheap and you get hundreds of channels for free in English, French and many of the common international languages...and you don't pay a cent after setting your system up at home. That really annoys me here that we cannot get that here....we don't get even half of those channels here..and the ones we do we pay for each month when they are free around the world. :mad:
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Mar 30, 2008
11 posts
Toronto
Easiest way is to search on Kijjii. There are many people on there doing installs for that sort of thing.
Good luck
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2169 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Mikey0124 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2014 1:50 am
Easiest way is to search on Kijjii. There are many people on there doing installs for that sort of thing.
Good luck
As per OP: "it's impossible to tell which companies do proper job, and which - not so proper."
Question is not about where to simply find a company, but also how to single out a company that will do a good job, without overcharging.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2463 posts
307 upvotes
Ajax
What satellites you looking at getting?

I'm just curious if you're after true FTA or something with IKS.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11171 posts
2149 upvotes
Toronto
Kuurgen wrote:
Nov 30th, 2014 5:45 pm
What satellites you looking at getting?

I'm just curious if you're after true FTA or something with IKS.
He is probably looking for satellites that cover North America (US/Canada) in coverage area/reception.

You can find those satellites on Lyngsat (google it).
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2463 posts
307 upvotes
Ajax
Scorpionsy wrote:
Dec 1st, 2014 1:23 am
He is probably looking for satellites that cover North America (US/Canada) in coverage area/reception.

You can find those satellites on Lyngsat (google it).

Right. IKS or FTA.... Because both could cover North America....
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
Kuurgen wrote:
Nov 30th, 2014 5:45 pm
...something with IKS.
IKS = Stealing Dish Network and/or Bell TV satellite services.

:!: Highly illegal in Canada and you could end up paying up to $25,000 if caught so it's clearly not worth the risk.

FTA satellite (or the true FTA euphemism that you referred to) is completely legal as the channels being received are unencrypted. It's similar to OTA but the channels are being received from satellite instead of terrestrial transmitters. It is a great complement to OTA in order to provide additional channels with no subscription fee required.
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
Scorpionsy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2014 1:27 am
+1

I would like to know the same information the OP is asking.

Too bad that there is a TV/Cable monopoly here in Canada that is crippling intentionally Free To Air Satellite Dishes and reception.

You should see how common and easy it is to get Free to Air Satellite Dishes/Receivers installed/setup in Asia, Europe and the Middle East from so many Satellites...with the most popular Satellites being: Hotbird, Eutelsat, Astra, Asiasat, Arabsat and Nile Sat.

It's so cheap and you get hundreds of channels for free in English, French and many of the common international languages...and you don't pay a cent after setting your system up at home. That really annoys me here that we cannot get that here....we don't get even half of those channels here..and the ones we do we pay for each month when they are free around the world. :mad:
What you are referring to in regards to Hotbird, Eutelsat, Astra, Asiasat, Arabsat and Nile Sat is called Ku band FTA satellite which is available anywhere in the world. The main thing however is that the satellites receivable here in North America use different names such as Galaxy, AMC, SES and Anik. Unfortunately, the European satellites that you mentioned can't be received over here as they are below the Earth's horizon. Although many channels in Europe are also carried on satellites receivable in North America, the channel lineup is more or less different.

A current listing of the approximately 300 channels with 90 in English available over here on Ku-band FTA satellite can be found at http://kuband.fta.channels.drsat.ca Ku band FTA requires a 75cm or larger satellite dish (85cm recommended) installed on a south facing wall.

There is also C-band FTA satellite as well which offers even more channels but requires a 1.8m or larger dish (2.4m recommended)
and a listing of channels available on C-band can be viewed at http://cband.fta.channels.drsat.ca
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1215 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Any updates to this? Did you find an installer?

I used to have FTA, and I found the Kbox. Literally bought this like 2 days prior to the big shut down. What is the situation with FTA these days. Last I heard, you had to pay a fee to someone, which would be their private server, is that correct?

Is the Kbox still being used? Can I use it for anything other than FTA? This new house I am in, has satellite setup, is it usable?

Just want to see what all my options are after seeing info for nfps/iptv recently. If Kbox is no use, is it worth anything if I sell it?
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
152 upvotes
KW
Why bother?

Seriously?

Netflix, torrent sites, P2P sites, companies like HBO selling a la carte off their webpages.

Entire Satellite/cable TV industry is expecting a massive change in the next couple years - stock prices are tanking, CRTC is chasing it's tail. I suspect the collapse will be breathtakingly fast and in a couple years the only services left standing will be internet based.

Be patient, putting up a satellite dish now may be like buying the last generation of tube TV's.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11171 posts
2149 upvotes
Toronto
joe_greps wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 2:21 pm
Why bother?

Seriously?

Netflix, torrent sites, P2P sites, companies like HBO selling a la carte off their webpages.

Entire Satellite/cable TV industry is expecting a massive change in the next couple years - stock prices are tanking, CRTC is chasing it's tail. I suspect the collapse will be breathtakingly fast and in a couple years the only services left standing will be internet based.

Be patient, putting up a satellite dish now may be like buying the last generation of tube TV's.
I don't think Satellite TV is going anywhere....Satellite Internet on the other hand is losing to land-based Internet services for sure, it just cannot keep up.

But getting A LOT more channels than Cable and OTA Antennas (combined even) for FREE with a FTA Satellite (and even more with payed/encrypted subscriptions) will always be there.

I am talking globally not just North America. People around the world will not give up their free channels they didn't pay a cent ...like ever...for to pay for Subscription services only.

Torrents and P2P have always been around...for over a decade...and that never killed the Satellite FTA services.

You can download shows or movies...but people around the world also want live and on-air scheduled shows/broadcasts at the same time.

Now Satellite services have PVRs too which takes things to the next level.

Look at all the FREE TV Channels in many languages in North America alone as pointed out by PwrSurge (and there is double that amount of channels in Europ/Asia/Middle East):

http://kuband.fta.channels.drsat.ca/

http://cband.fta.channels.drsat.ca/

So, no, sorry I am going to have to disagree with you on this...Satellite TV is going nowhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5567 posts
1937 upvotes
Alberta
I've got 4 FTA receivers in my basement. Running ATV2 on XBMC instead.