• May 29th, 2013 1:19 am
Tags:
None
Jul 1, 2010
213 posts
61 upvotes

FTTN or Cable?

Currently using 7M/512K ADSL by 3Web.

Recently, they offered me to upgrade my Internet with installation fee waived. With approx. same fee I'm paying now, I have two options:

FTTN: 15M/1M, $45.95+3.95 equipment rental, dry loop fee included.
Cable: 18M/512K, $47.95+4.95 equipment rental.

Both no cap.

I know cable shares band width with others, most likely, I don't get 18M as advertised. Should I expect FTTN is more close to what's paid for?

Thanks.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
When you're driving, do you purposely drive into brick walls?

That is what you will experience with cable. It's an ancient relic of technology that needs to peacefully bury itself.

Go FTTN.
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
cable is unpredictable and can saturate fast on congested nodes or during peak times.
if your in the GTA go FTTN. bell has a better core network then rogers right now here.
just read the many cable upgrades and updated from rogers and the various IISP's on
the board and see for yourself. or just ask the techs themselves.
also with FTTN if you qualify for it's service your speed is guaranteed.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14332 posts
1284 upvotes
Oshawa
Blah blah. Don't kid yourselves that Bell is any better than Rogers.

1. With FTTN, loop length and line conditions are still an issue.
2. With FFTN, the shared elements of the network are on the fibre. Depending on how much fibre is provisioned to a given group of users, congestion can happen.

FTTN is a short-term “stop gap” using old technology.

http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/why-not-fttn/
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14291 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers is also FTTN.

Bell is also VDSL2.

Pick your poison.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14332 posts
1284 upvotes
Oshawa
My poison is 150/10 with 7ms ping, and a giant Rogers arse-rape every month. :(
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14291 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote:
May 15th, 2013 9:27 pm
You get what you pay for I guess.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2223 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote:
May 15th, 2013 9:27 pm
Why would you need that speed, and whats your cap? Funny how rogers introduces high speeds and like 80gb cap xD
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
either way that speed would not be avail in all areas.
osuman wrote:
May 15th, 2013 10:41 pm
Why would you need that speed, and whats your cap? Funny how rogers introduces high speeds and like 80gb cap xD
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14332 posts
1284 upvotes
Oshawa
osuman wrote:
May 15th, 2013 10:41 pm
250GB, and 70% retention discount off internet only.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
I still don't get why people don't understand that all internet is shared. Slow internet access is the fault of over-provisioning in an area, not inferior technology. All of the people that go cable TS and then TS oversells and has to stop sell, blame the technology when it is the provider who is at fault. A DSLAM is an access concentrator that aggregates all the customers on to a single connection and the upstream on cable does the same thing. The difference is FFTN is a garbage patch technology that poor providers install. In the US, Verizon has money while AT&T doesn't. Look and see which technology a company with deep pockets uses.

Bell's distance limited 25/10 is distance limited and provision limited. Cable is only provision limited and can exceed those speeds. Speedboost has shown me 236 megs down already and from what I understand 20 megs up will be coming soon. This generation cable modems will max out at high 200s. There are ones that use more channels and run in the 500 to 600 mbps. DOCSIS 3.1 is talking about Gigabit speeds. Phone companies with DSL and not a lot of money, have a tough time ahead of them with a distance limited, uncommon, 25/10 service.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
the distance thing is coming close to an end in the GTA as bell plans to have almost all of Toronto and most of the GTA covered with it by 2015.
majority of the population wont even be on anything higher then 7 - 10 mbps connections unless they are going IPTV.
VDSL is kicking the crap out of cable worldwide. it's cheaper to deploy and easier to implement with existing infrastructure.
and within VDSL1 right now speeds up to 100/100 easily. VDSL2 can go as high as 250/250. and with the 7330's which are soon to be upgraded vectoring and bonding will increase this as well.
bell has the money to deploy fiber whenever it wants so money is not an issue. but right now in the GTA the problems on rogers is more apparent then on bells side.

AudiDude wrote:
May 16th, 2013 2:02 am
I still don't get why people don't understand that all internet is shared. Slow internet access is the fault of over-provisioning in an area, not inferior technology. All of the people that go cable TS and then TS oversells and has to stop sell, blame the technology when it is the provider who is at fault. A DSLAM is an access concentrator that aggregates all the customers on to a single connection and the upstream on cable does the same thing. The difference is FFTN is a garbage patch technology that poor providers install. In the US, Verizon has money while AT&T doesn't. Look and see which technology a company with deep pockets uses.

Bell's distance limited 25/10 is distance limited and provision limited. Cable is only provision limited and can exceed those speeds. Speedboost has shown me 236 megs down already and from what I understand 20 megs up will be coming soon. This generation cable modems will max out at high 200s. There are ones that use more channels and run in the 500 to 600 mbps. DOCSIS 3.1 is talking about Gigabit speeds. Phone companies with DSL and not a lot of money, have a tough time ahead of them with a distance limited, uncommon, 25/10 service.
Apr 18, 2012
996 posts
33 upvotes
i don't understand why people say that cable isn't reliable. I had rogers cable before and i swtiched to teksavvy 2 years ago which is still the roger's line. I never noticed speed issues. Whenever i download from Newsreader, i constantly get 3.32MB/sec
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
Nafizur wrote:
May 16th, 2013 9:09 am
i don't understand why people say that cable isn't reliable. I had rogers cable before and i swtiched to teksavvy 2 years ago which is still the roger's line. I never noticed speed issues. Whenever i download from Newsreader, i constantly get 3.32MB/sec
It really comes down to where you are. If you live in a metropolitan area you're likely to have a poor experience with cable.

Last time I experienced cable, every day at 9pm my connection would literally slow down to the point where web pages were not even loading without time-out errors. 1am-2am, the speed would peak back up to advertised speeds.

Don't even get me started on how it was from a gamers perspective... . . Unless something fundamental in the technology has changed, which it hasn't, Cable will always be sub-standard compared to DSL.

Once I switched to DSL about 4 years ago, it has been smooth sailing.

Unfortunately I moved into a new place a couple of months ago, and now I've been forced to go on cable. Getting it installed this Saturday. FML. I'm neither impressed nor excited.

I'd much rather continue tethering LTE over cable. In a heartbeat. If it wasn't so damn expensive and the caps so awful.
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
× < >