Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 30, 2004
13095 posts
883 upvotes
Toronto

Fuel Injector cleaners

Was wondering if these things work. The ones that you put in the gas tank when your about to fill up.

If so, which ones are the best/recommend.

Thanks,
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
they do work.. helps fuel economy and restores some lost performance, the different is slight, but for a couple bucks u cant go wrong. i alternate between valvoline synpower and redlines complete fuel system treatment in the summer. u can find both @ canadian tire.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2004
3536 posts
Moose Jaw, SK
They don't really do a good job of cleaning dirty injectors, but good ones ca help keep clean injectors from varnishing up. Wynn's/Extend makes very good products. Very popular in repair shops. So if you have dirty or plugged injectors, get them professionaly cleaned and then put a bottle of the injector cleaner in every other tank of gas.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3625 posts
97 upvotes
Myself, I spend the money on changing my fuel filter annually and leave the injectors alone. Only time I use an additive is when I am putting my car into warm when it is extremely cold then I use a fuel injection safe water remover/injector cleaner.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
May 28, 2003
546 posts
I can not find SynPower... only MaxLife (Sheppard/McCowan, 14/Markham, McCowan/7) nor RedLine. No use, still same mileage.
Nov 20, 2002
818 posts
When starting a car, if it regularly takes an extra moment of cranking than usual, could this be a sign of dirty spark plugs? Do dirty spark plugs cause this to happen?

The reason I ask is it seemed like it started to happen after I added an STP gas treatment bottle into my gas tank. And I'm thinking these additives dirty the spark plugs. I could be totally wrong tho.

And I bought a fuel injector cleaning bottle as well, but I'm a little afraid of putting it in just yet.
Jan 7, 2005
85 posts
10 upvotes
stp gas treatment cleaned up the prob
that shell and petro canada had with their dirty gas lawsuit
which caused the fuel gauges to go crazy or stick

my grand am and my audi never recovered
the audi would never read full tank
the grand am gauge would flutter up and down for no reason
as i have to use this every few months
-------------------------------------------------------------

the fuel injector cleaner will keep your injectors from clogging
thereby foregoing expensive service garage cleaning

when i notice rough idling, injector cleaner smooths this out

all the best
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
I've had similar thing happen to my GF's car. I put in a bottle of ATP, then on teh first start of the day, it will stall after about 10 seconds. Then it's fine aftewrads. The problem has since disappear after 1 or 2 tanks of gas after that. So the addictive does have some effects on the spark plugs i think. But i've used it on many different cars, and never have that problem.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Nov 27, 2001
552 posts
1 upvote
yep... where can we find seafoam in the gta?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Kevin T wrote:I can not find SynPower... only MaxLife (Sheppard/McCowan, 14/Markham, McCowan/7) nor RedLine. No use, still same mileage.
I get my Redline stuff at Pacific Mall next to Canada Computers.

Lucas is good too
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
I use Marvel Mystery Oil. Crappy Tire used to sell it. But can't find it any more.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4250 posts
155 upvotes
Cambridge
I've used a bunch of them. Can't say for sure that any work better or worse.

For sure NOT using a cleaner will eventually show up in performance, usually notice it first as hesitation when pulling away from a stop light.

I toss one in the tank about every 15,000 km or so.

I think of this as preventative. I don't think if your injectors are really fouled that this treatment will clean them.