• Nov 7th, 2018 12:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3444 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
What flash do you guys use with your X-series cameras?

I'm picking up a Mieke 320 soon, but I'm pretty much a noob with flash except for a small handful of times when I've used a speedlight on a Canon DSLR...

Any tips to impart about shooting portrait or street with on-camera flash?
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3445 posts
453 upvotes
Markham
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm picking up a Mieke 320 soon, but I'm pretty much a noob with flash except for a small handful of times when I've used a speedlight on a Canon DSLR...

I use an old Canon flash with a cactus wireless transceiver. I'm looking into the Godox TT350F which supports Fuji TTL wireless master/slave.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
May 5, 2010
997 posts
289 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 3:41 pm

I use the Fujifilm EF-X20 with my X100T. I use it mostly as a slave that I trigger with the build-in flash. I really like it because it is small, fits well with the camera and the build quality is very nice. It's made of metal. It looks amazing too, but that subjective to anyone.
The biggest con is it's quite slow to recharge between shoots at 1/1 since it's only using 2 AAA batteries. But combined with the X100T, which is a slow camera by itself, I don't feel slow down too much by the flash. Also because I shoot rarely at full power.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
Anyone here have a ThinkTank Digital Holster? I'm trying to figure out which one to get for my X-T2.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3444 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
Gin Martini wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:32 am
I use the Fujifilm EF-X20 with my X100T. I use it mostly as a slave that I trigger with the build-in flash. I really like it because it is small, fits well with the camera and the build quality is very nice. It's made of metal. It looks amazing too, but that subjective to anyone.
The biggest con is it's quite slow to recharge between shoots at 1/1 since it's only using 2 AAA batteries. But combined with the X100T, which is a slow camera by itself, I don't feel slow down too much by the flash. Also because I shoot rarely at full power.
Dang, 2 AAA? I didn't realize they had flashes that used AAA...

I wanted something dirt cheap to play around with, but for me, a rotating head is important as I like to bounce the flash, and I want to start off with it on-camera. I'll probably play around with off camera flash once I'm more accustomed to shooting manual and TTL w/ flash.

I just ordered the Meike (actually rebranded as a Neewer on Amazon) and it came to $69 which is a pretty good deal... can't wait to try it out.

May 5, 2010
997 posts
289 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:57 am

I wanted something dirt cheap to play around with, but for me, a rotating head is important as I like to bounce the flash, and I want to start off with it on-camera. I'll probably play around with off camera flash once I'm more accustomed to shooting manual and TTL w/ flash.

I just ordered the Meike (actually rebranded as a Neewer on Amazon) and it came to $69 which is a pretty good deal... can't wait to try it out.
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain since my other flash (for my Nikon) and most flashes use AA and I have a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries.
I'm sure your Meike will perform better than my EF-X20 for less than 1/3 of the price. On a side note, the EF-X20 is super easy to use in manual mode because it has 1 physical dial that control it and that's it. Simple & quick.
May 5, 2010
997 posts
289 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:57 am

Hi M1GOmigs, so how's the flash? I'm considering this for my A6000
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3444 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
Gin Martini wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 9:08 am
Hi M1GOmigs, so how's the flash? I'm considering this for my A6000
I've been dealing with back problems lately and so I haven't had a chance to actually test it out in the wild but I'm pleased with its performance in test shots I took inside the house.

The form factor is pretty good for a mirrorless camera. It's small enough compared to other speedlights... And it swivels up, as well as left like 60 degrees or so, and right like 90 degrees.

I don't have a ton of experience with flash and I've only shot with a Canon 320 and a Metz branded one on Canon cameras. I shot TTL and this Neewer does a comparable job I guess. I did find that the battery life is short - I popped in some regular Amazon rechargeable batteries and took a bunch of shots of my dog and my daughter and soon enough I was running out. To be fair, these batteries were straight from the package so I'm not sure if they come topped up or not. This flash only takes 2AAs.

It recharges ok, just don't expect to be taking continuous shots and having it keep up.

One good feature is you can recharge the batteries via micro USB, which was handy.

It also comes with a diffuser and a little carrying bag. For a cheap flash, I'm surprised at the level of quality.

I was also looking at the more expensive Fuji EFX20 flash, but at like 3 times the price and without features like a pivoting flash head, it just seemed like a poorer value.

May 5, 2010
997 posts
289 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:44 am
I've been dealing with back problems lately and so I haven't had a chance to actually test it out in the wild but I'm pleased with its performance in test shots I took inside the house.

The form factor is pretty good for a mirrorless camera. It's small enough compared to other speedlights... And it swivels up, as well as left like 60 degrees or so, and right like 90 degrees.

I don't have a ton of experience with flash and I've only shot with a Canon 320 and a Metz branded one on Canon cameras. I shot TTL and this Neewer does a comparable job I guess. I did find that the battery life is short - I popped in some regular Amazon rechargeable batteries and took a bunch of shots of my dog and my daughter and soon enough I was running out. To be fair, these batteries were straight from the package so I'm not sure if they come topped up or not. This flash only takes 2AAs.

It recharges ok, just don't expect to be taking continuous shots and having it keep up.

One good feature is you can recharge the batteries via micro USB, which was handy.

It also comes with a diffuser and a little carrying bag. For a cheap flash, I'm surprised at the level of quality.

I was also looking at the more expensive Fuji EFX20 flash, but at like 3 times the price and without features like a pivoting flash head, it just seemed like a poorer value.
Thanks for all the infos, it's all very useful. I was most curious about the horizontal tilt for portrait mode and it seems doable. I'll be on the lookout when it drop to $69 again.
I'm not sure how full are Amazon's battery neither. I use the Eneloop Pro for an extra little juice for my flashes, about 25% more (2550 vs 2000 mAh for AA).

Hope your back will get well soon!
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3444 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else intrigued by the XC 15-45? I like the wider focal length and the small size... Hopefully it performs well. It's an XC not XF lens, so it's priced cheaply too at $300 US

More info

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3444 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, I'm looking to jump from X-T1 to X-Pro2 but I can't afford a brand new one. What do you think is a good price for a used one in good condition right now?

Also, anyone have any idea when X-H1 might release and is it worth it to wait a bit longer? Still fighting the GAS impulse....

May 5, 2010
997 posts
289 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:12 pm
Hey guys, I'm looking to jump from X-T1 to X-Pro2 but I can't afford a brand new one. What do you think is a good price for a used one in good condition right now?

Also, anyone have any idea when X-H1 might release and is it worth it to wait a bit longer? Still fighting the GAS impulse....
It is all rumors so don't take it too serious, but it is said to be announced on Feb. 15. It's just a few days away so it won't hurt to wait. Check the leaked image. It looks quite big, but if the specs are correct, that 5-axis IBIS and the 3.69 m-dots EVF sold it for me already! With the leaked image, looking so real and final, I have a bit of faith that it can be announced next week.
https://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-first ... h1-images/

I just hope they will make a graphite version of it too.

I'll say around 1400-1500 for a used black X-Pro 2 since you can get a brand new one on the gray market for 1800. So you're getting a X-Pro2 instead of a X100 series?

When I have G.A.S., I look at some Leica cameras. After that, none other cameras appeal much to me for a little while and since I can't justify nor afford $13 000+ on a M10 + 50mm Summilux F1.4, I won't be buying Leica, nor have anymore desire for Fuji or Sony or Olympus, etc... for a little while. Repeat if GAS comes back.