None
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16323 posts
524 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
chiggyv wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 2:36 pm
Loving my X-T20 for the short time I've had it. Granted it costs 10x the Walmart SL1 I started out with, this camera has me wanting to go out and shoot a LOT more.
Also... how much did you pay for an SL1 in order for it to be 1/10th the price of an X-T20 ??? I thought it was MSRP $400 or so?
Apr 19, 2017
80 posts
10 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 2:39 pm
I'm still a n00b but with the same body/lens as you.

question; why do you need a 23 f/2 since you can simply set the 18-55 to "23"? i'm guessing something to do with aperture?

I had purchased the famous Canon Nifty Fifty lens for my SL1 and found that a fixed lens makes you think much more in terms of framing and getting the right shot. You'll find yourself using your feet to zoom as opposed to standing across a street and snapping away.

Beyond this primes are generally sharper at their specified focal length than zooms.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3419 posts
442 upvotes
Markham
konfusion666 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 2:39 pm
I'm still a n00b but with the same body/lens as you.

question; why do you need a 23 f/2 since you can simply set the 18-55 to "23"? i'm guessing something to do with aperture?
I don't use the 18-55 much but it always amazes me what it can do. You just have to stop thinking of it as a kit lens. At 23mm, it's probably doing f/3, so the 23 f/2 would be about a stop and a third better. I'm mostly a prime shooter so I get why someone would want the 23mm instead, but I would not sell off the18-55. This lens really doesn't get enough credit for what it can do.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Apr 19, 2017
80 posts
10 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 2:41 pm
Also... how much did you pay for an SL1 in order for it to be 1/10th the price of an X-T20 ??? I thought it was MSRP $400 or so?
I got lucky during the Walmart clearance and purchased one with a kit lens for $99. Got carried away with lenses and accessories and fell out of love with the cumbersome nature of carrying a DSLR and multiple lenses (and that's a tiny DSLR, potentially smaller than the XT). The SL1 was great to learn on but quickly reached a ceiling.

This all added to why I want one lens that will suffice my needs. I even consider moving to the XE3 for a smaller package. Would do a X100 but like the ability to change lenses should I feel the want.
Apr 19, 2017
80 posts
10 upvotes
Jonavin wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 2:50 pm
I don't use the 18-55 much but it always amazes me what it can do. You just have to stop thinking of it as a kit lens. At 23mm, it's probably doing f/3, so the 23 f/2 would be about a stop and a third better. I'm mostly a prime shooter so I get why someone would want the 23mm instead, but I would not sell off the18-55. This lens really doesn't get enough credit for what it can do.
I likely will sell it and purchase the 23. Just hoping for a trade since it's easier/cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4848 posts
922 upvotes
Milton
Had a great experience with Amazon Canada this week with my 16mm f1.4 order.

I originally ordered the 16mm f1.4 as 'Used - Like New' however it arrived damaged (I am guessing amazon did not test if it's working). I promptly contacted amazon customer support and they asked me to return the item and order a brand new 16mm with price adjusted to my original order. Overall I received a brand new fuji 16mm with $400 discount.

My current Fuji setup now:
XT20
56mm f1.2
16mm f1.4
23mm f2
XF 18-55mm
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16323 posts
524 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
spena wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 11:32 am
Had a great experience with Amazon Canada this week with my 16mm f1.4 order.

I originally ordered the 16mm f1.4 as 'Used - Like New' however it arrived damaged (I am guessing amazon did not test if it's working). I promptly contacted amazon customer support and they asked me to return the item and order a brand new 16mm with price adjusted to my original order. Overall I received a brand new fuji 16mm with $400 discount.

My current Fuji setup now:
XT20
56mm f1.2
16mm f1.4
23mm f2
XF 18-55mm
Awesome! I'm a bit jelly.

Hijacking this post to ask other XT20 users (and even other X-series users) - do you do JPG or RAW? And if JPG, what is your preferred PC photo editor? Right now I'm doing JPG and editing in Paint.Net because it's free and I can't be bothered to buy Lightroom
May 5, 2010
964 posts
273 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 11:42 am

Hijacking this post to ask other XT20 users (and even other X-series users) - do you do JPG or RAW? And if JPG, what is your preferred PC photo editor? Right now I'm doing JPG and editing in Paint.Net because it's free and I can't be bothered to buy Lightroom
I shoot in both JPG and RAW. I rarely fit half my card in 1 session with that setting and I can decide to delete or keep whatever format afterward. I don't often do burst. Also, I use the Classic Chrome profile so having the RAW in case I don't like the color is a plus.

I use Photoshop mostly, since I often do some retouching.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3409 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 11:42 am

Using my X-Pro2 I shoot JPG + RAW, and I use an old version of Lightroom 5, which I was able to buy for like $25 a while ago (it was posted on RFD). Only problem is that I have to convert the RAW to a DNG file first using Adobe's free DNG converter since the older versions of Lightroom don't support my camera.

I haven't used paint.net but I often use pixlr.com if I want a browser-based tool in a pinch. It's got features similar to Photoshop, so if you're familiar with PS, then this should be easy to use as well.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE