None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3471 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 10:11 am
I'm only buying a new body for next summer so I'll wait for the X-H2 before making my mind on the X-T3.
Yeah Fuji is kind of in a weird spot right now... the X-H1 is supposed to be their pinnacle flagship APS-C camera, but aside from IBIS and the lcd screen on top, the X-T3 has it beat on most other specs, and it only came out 6 months later...
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Nov 23, 2013
41 posts
10 upvotes
Hamilton
M1GOmigs wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 11:24 am
Yeah Fuji is kind of in a weird spot right now... the X-H1 is supposed to be their pinnacle flagship APS-C camera, but aside from IBIS and the lcd screen on top, the X-T3 has it beat on most other specs, and it only came out 6 months later...
Yeah I picked up the xh-1 and still have my xt2. The xt3 is intriguing but I’m really liking the stabilization so I’m also not sure if I should wait for the xh2. I actually tried to preorder at like 4am when I got up for work but I guess visa flagged it as suspicious so it never went through. Not sure if I preorder now if I’d still get one at launch.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3452 posts
458 upvotes
Markham
Preordered X-T3. It’s a big jump from X-T1.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3471 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
Jonavin wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 12:34 am
Preordered X-T3. It’s a big jump from X-T1.
I'm very curious about the AF on the X-T3... I also owned an X-T1 and while it was a great camera, I did miss a bit of focus on shots especially in low light. My X-Pro2 is definitely better, but the X-T3 seems like another huge jump beyond that.

I'm hearing it's actually night-and-day for the older f1.4 lenses especially... Too bad I won't be picking one of these up til it's on sale.

Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3452 posts
458 upvotes
Markham
ericdraven wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 2:11 pm
Fujifilm X-T3

My Problem is Black or Silver...

LOL!!!
I ordered the black but I'd like to see the silver as well. Hard to tell if I'll like it or just settle for the more settle black. I do like the silver accent on my X100S, so maybe...
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5335 posts
5221 upvotes
Toronto
I'm waiting for the Grip Combo promo like for the X1... :D
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3452 posts
458 upvotes
Markham
hoob wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:48 pm
Best deal ever. I got my X-T1 with grip and FujiTuesday and coupon discounts for $1150+tax, on launch day no less. One heck of a deal that we'll never see again.

I'm trying to see if there any promos happening this time around.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1045 posts
52 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:48 pm
Would love this!

If anyone sees a good promo, let's share the news here.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3471 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently there's a Touch & Try event at Downtown Camera in Toronto... I might go just to check it out.

Your text to link here...

Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3452 posts
458 upvotes
Markham
M1GOmigs wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 10:19 am
Apparently there's a Touch & Try event at Downtown Camera in Toronto... I might go just to check it out.

Your text to link here...
Do they still hand out rebate coupons during these events? Usually, it's $50-$100 off a camera.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3452 posts
458 upvotes
Markham
Vistek Touch and Try tonight

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/fujifilm-x- ... 0069371839

Henry's

https://www.henrys.com/in-store-seminars.aspx

Various Dates & Locations (See Below)
Cost: Free - Registration Required

Join The Fuji Guys in reviewing the latest Fujifilm tech, including the new X-T3 – you do not want to miss this workshop!

Henry's Ottawa
Friday, September 14th, 2018
11:00am - 2:00pm
Register Now

Henry's Mississauga - Heartland
Friday, September 14th, 2018
12:00pm - 3:00pm
Register Now

Henry's Nepean
Saturday, September 15th, 2018
Register Now

Henry's Barrie
Friday, September 21st, 2018
Register Now
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3471 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
Jonavin wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 10:46 am
Do they still hand out rebate coupons during these events? Usually, it's $50-$100 off a camera.
Last few times, it was $50 rebate off a purchase of (I think) $150 or over...

Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
1977 posts
190 upvotes
Received my new Fuji XF10 in champagne gold Aug 17th. For some reason Canada receives their Fuji products earlier than the US which is not often the case. (we also received our new Fuji X-T100 earlier too) After owning a Sony A6000 for the past 4 years and recently being impressed by the controls/color of my wife's new Fuji X-T100, I wanted something smaller for an upcoming vacation.

Build quality
First thoughts are that the build quality is better than I was expecting with the top 3 dials being made of machined metal which makes the device feel more premium and aids with handling. The control dial around the lens also seems to be a light alloy and I originally thought it was plastic. The entire body itself also seems to be metal as well since it is cool to the touch. I asked Fuji if it was metal or plastic, and they said it was a 'composite'...whatever that means. The camera is light but dense at the same time. The only issue is when I push in the thumbrest fully, I hear a slight creaking noise. The brown alligator style 'leather' is smooth but has a decent grip and the brown 'leather'wrist strap is a nice touch. There is only one eyelet for mounting a strap. The thumb rest is a nice rubber material which helps tremendously with handling. I much prefer how this feels in hand since the front grip protrudes and is rounded compared to the X-T100 which is square with a small addon grip and doesn't have a rear rubber thumb rest. There aren't many buttons but the buttons don't feel has cheap or shallow as the XT-100 or rattle around. Overall, it feels like a premium point and shoot with attractive, yet understated styling.

Handling/Control
The front dial around the shutter is used to control AV/shutterspeed/navigate menu/browse pictures. It has a nice grip to it and distintive click without being too hard to rotate. I like the feeling of machined metal dials over plastic ones. The other control dial to the right is used for exposure compensation and works quite well since it won't accidentily be nudged since it is recessed from the rear. Both of these dials cannot be customized. The front control ring arond the len by default is mapped to the 'digital convertor function' (digital zoom) and can be mapped to other things such as ISO, WB, film simulations but that's it...can't map it to AV or shutter or anything else like Exp Comp. There is no record button to start recording video you and you have menu dive to drive mode, select movie, then press shutter to start recording...then remember to change it back to photo mode when done. (or you will record video when you wanted to take a picture)

There are only two customizable buttons which is a bit lacking. One of them by default is mapped to 'focus check' which zooms in on photos so you can confirm focus. This is a must have for me and I'd rather use the button than double tapping on the screen to zoom in, so essentially this one button is already used up. The other button I've mapped to "snap shot" which sets the camera focus to either 2M to infinity or 5M to infinity. You can also customize the 4 directions of the touchscreen for different commands due to the loss of a directional buttons. The directional flick has to be done quickly at the center of the screen and it has to be a short distance to register...can be fiddly for some users. The joystick is a welcome addition to quickly change focus point. It would have been nice if this could have the directions customized as well. I've extensively setup my Q menu to all my main functions such as ISO, shutter type, flash, wb, basically the things missing from back directional buttons. Seems to work pretty well. Just wish the Q menu was touch sensitive like the X-E3.

I appreciate the direct dials and controls for AV/TV/ISO and it makes shooting enjoyable like a DSLR. There is some menu diving in the Q menu but it's intuitive and similar to a less advanced "my menu" for Canon/Sony. It would be nice to have an actual "my menu" so that ANY menu function could be mapped as a favorite. I don't really miss the lack of back directional buttons and having a joystick to quickly move the AF point is great. They copied the XE-3 control scheme which isn't too shabby. There are also handy "autofocus/film simulation" touchscreen shortcut buttons which help with quickly changing commonly used function. It would be nice to be able to set your own touchscreen shortcut buttons. The menu structure is organized quite well and easy to navigate unlike Sony's infamous menus.

Having an 18mm 'wide angle' lens is similar to a phone camera and can lead to many pictures looking like a generic snapshot if not used properly. The bokeh is pretty decent at close macro distances and the dynamic range in good/low light far exceeds that of a phone. I do wish there was image stabilization for low light handheld shots but I've been able to get some decent shots at slower shutter speeds (1 second) if I hold the camera on top of something and take multiple shots.

Image Quality
I'm a new convert to Fujifilm's color science after using my wife's X-T100. I'm a jpeg shooter. Skin tones are much more natural compared to the yellow/greenish tones of my Sony A6000. I mainly shoot velvia and image quality looks comparable to the X-T100 with 15-45mm kit lens which uses the same 24MP non X-trans bayer sensor. It's a very natural, yet vibrant color without being too oversaturated. I don't believe these sensors use an AA filter and their jpeg sharpening is very boosted since files are full of detail with occasional sharpening artifacts if you pixel peep. I mainly shoot wide open at F2.8 and havn't had any complaints with sharpness in the center of the frame for pictures of my daughter or snaps on the street. I don't take pictures of bookcases and stare at the corners. Iso 3200 and 6400 is quite clean a maybe half a stop better than my A6000. I've set my Auto ISO to be 200-6400 with a minimum shutter of 1/100. Auto white balance seems pretty good in tungsten lighting and images are not too yellow. I tried iso 12800, and I would only use that for emergencies or small prints. A little too much color shift and noise reduction. Jpeg shadows can be brightened quite well in Adobe Lightroom and I tend to underexpose by 1/3 stop since the camera overexposed.

1080P video at 60FPS is decent but not as good as my Sony A6000 in terms of clarity, autofocus, or exposure. The autofocus sometimes gets lost and exposure gets brighter/darker during video recording. There is only digital stabilization (no optical stabilization) Forget about 4K as it is only 15FPS and more used for photo focus/quick burst modes. It's too bad there is no selfie screen as this camera would be good for vloggers but then again, there is a mic jack but no place to mount a mic.

Performance/autofocus
In good light, autofocus is mostly snappy. Very similar to the Fuji X-T100. Not a fast as my Sony A6000. Occasionally, it will get confused, say the item is in focus, then let you take a shot where the item is completely out of focus. There are options to change the release priority to either 'release' or 'focus'. By default it is set to 'release' which will allow you take a shot while 'focus' will only let you take a shot if it is in focus. I would rather let the camera let me take a shoot and hope it is in focus rather than not get a shot at all. The entire lens (same lens as the Fuji X70) moves in and out during focusing and you can hear the motor slightly. Not as loud as the Canon 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty but you get the picture. I use 'high performance' mode to help with camera startup times but it doesn't help autofocus.

In low light is where the camera struggles. If the AF illuminator light turns on and the subject is close, it will find focus quite fast. But if the AF light is not used and the subject is far, it will hunt and hunt but not find focus. It this case it feels like a point and shoot from the year 2000 (Canon A70). You will have to use manual focus here which can be tough in low light. I do not use AF-C mode since it cannot track may moving daughter indoors with 2 lights on. I mainly use center spot autofocus with face detection on.

When reviewing pictures or using the touch screen, there is a split second lag. Eg. Switching between pictures, flick touch screen response. At first I thought the lack of image stabilization would be a big issue but so far it isn't too bad since I set my iso to 200-6400 with a minmium shutter speed of 1/120 and the lens is a wider angle with F2.8. The auto modes are weird since they choose slower shutter speeds such as 1/28 on both the XF10 and XT100.

The leaf shutter is great to have since it's quite quiet compared to the mechanical shutter of the Fuji X-T100 or Sony A6000. It's also nice to be have a flash sync speed above 1/160 for outdoor situations. There are some limitations to the leaf shutter though. The max shutter speed at F2.8 is 1/1000, at F4 is 1/2000, F7 is 1/2500, F8 is 1/3200, F8 1/4000. Specs say the max shutter speed is 1/4000 which is true but not at F2.8 and it has to be at F8 which is a bit misleading. If you shoot above 1/4000 to 1/16000, it can use the electronic shutter at F2.8 if 'mechanical + electronic' shutter mode is used. You could also just use electronic shutter and shoot from 0 to 1/16000 at F2.8 but the readout is very slow and will lead to rolling shutter/tearing if there is any motion including someone walking or just moving their arms/legs/head. It's quite bad so I don't use electronic shutter unless it is a static scene and I need the fast shutter speed wide open.

Overall
I think for the price of $650CAN, Fuji made an excellent handling and fun to use camera due to the 3 control dials, autofocus joystick, 2 custom buttons, and customizable touchscreen. Having a ASPC size sensor in a point and shoot body allows you to bring higher quality images with you without the bulk. Compared to the SOny RX100 series (1 inch sensor), this is a bargain for what you get. If autofocus could be improved, selfie screen could be implemented, and actual 4K was 24/30fps, it would make this camera even better. This will be my new vacation camera. We will see how it fare and I think will do well. This camera reminds me of my former powerhouse in a small package, the Canon S95. I would give this camera a solid 8/10.

Pros
+ Fuji color, multiple film simulations
+ Dynamic range of APSC sensor
+ clean high iso up to 6400
+ very sharp image quality even taken at F2.8 in the center
+ solid build quality; metal? body and control dials
+ high resolution touch screen
+ excellent controls: 3 control dials, 2 custom buttons
+ direct AF control joystick
+ fun to use; feels like a camera made by camera people, not electronic engineers
+ small size/discrete
+ easy to navigate menus
+ fun shooting experience
+ decent autofocus in bright light
+ excellent shaped front and rear grip
+ quiet leaf shutter & electronic shutter
+ competitive pricing compared to Sony RX100 series
+ digital teleconverter (digital zoom) isn't too bad when sparingly used

Cons
- no selfie screen (many users use this feature especially vloggers; helps with creative composition)
- no view finder (if the Sony RX100 can do it at a smaller size, why can't fuji? I think it is the pricepoint)
- lens cap slows down shooting experience; no place to put UV filter due to lack of threads
- slow autofocus in low light and AF-C/movie
- not the best 1080P image quality, exposure changes
- 4K is only 15FPS
- no image stabilization on lens
- older X70 lens
- 18mm might be too wide for some users
- F2.8 isn't the fastest lens...could be a F2.0
- nowhere to mount mic (no hotshoe)
- leaf shutter max shutter speed at F2.8 is 1/1000. Have to go to F8 to get 1/4000
- electronic shutter has rolling shutter/artifacts due to slow sensor read out. Don't use for anything moving including people.
- touchscreen only used for shooting, reviewing pictures, and setting autofocus....can't be used for menu's or Q menu (like the X-E3)
- no record video button (have to go to drive mode, then choose movie mode, then press shutter)
- usb charging in camera takes 4 hours for a full charge from empty....much slower than my XT-100
- some odd firmware bugs (see below)

Here's some feedback for future firmware improvements on the New Fuji XF10 that Ive passed onto Fuji support:

1. Only one phone can paired wirelessly. To pair another phone, you have to delete your pairing for one phne and then re-register your pairing on the other phone. This process has to be repeated with you want to connect to another phone. This is needlessly complicated and annoying when either my wife or myself want to manually transfer photos from the camera wirelessly to either one of our phones. My Sony A6000 allows numerous phones to be paired at a time and has one touch NFC.

2. Phone will randomly disconnect itself during wireless transfer of photos. This might have to do with power save mode being set to 2minutes or 5 minutes. When transferring photos, the camera should not go to wirelesss power save mode. I don`t think this occurs when powersave mode is turned off.

3. "SR+" automatic mode and other 'automatic modes' under ADV, SP eg. Rich and Fine should have a minimum shutter of 1/60. Too many shots are taken slower shutter speeds such as 1/25 which lead to motion blur. Beginners don't have steady hands and if you give your camera to someone else, they often just press the shutter all in one motion which leads to blurry photos. I use Av mode with 200-6400 iso with a forced shutter of either 1/60 or 1/120. My Sony A6000 defaults to 1/60 for all auto modes and turns up ISO to compensate. The high iso performance of the X-T100 so I believe it should do the same rather than trying to follow the lens over focus length rule. The kit lense doesn't have image stabilization so we want a higher shutter speed indoors to prevent blur. This is especially noticeable when using "rich and fine" mode which will choose a shutter speed such as 1/28 which is quite slow for indoor food photography. Closeup shots magnify camera shake. Perhaps being able to recognize the user customiczable ISO AuTO settings in the 'automatic' modes similar to the manual modes would help Eg. Auto ISO range 200-6400 witha minimum shutter of 1/60 or 1/100

5. When reviewing photos, if you switch to the menu or shoot mode and go back, it always defaults back to last photo taken. It would be nice to have an option to stay at the last photo that was viewed. This gets annoying when deleting photos and then you lose your spot since it goes to the last photo. My Sony A6000 has an option to toggle between last photo taken and last photo viewed.

6. "Sports" auto mode, should automatically set focusing to AF-C and then switch it back to whatever mode you were using when done. Instead it stays at whatever focusing mode you are using which is most likely AF-S. You have to manually change it. This can cause missed shots if you just turn it to sport mode and expect it to work.

7. The flash disables itself when drive mode is set to 3FPS or 6FPS. Even if you pop the flash up, it will not fire and these modes and is disabled without warning. You have to by in single shot mode for the flash to fire. My Sony A6000 will let the flash fire at faster drive modes, it will just slow the recycle time down while the flash recharges. You shouldn't have to switch out of modes to turn on the flash. This can cause some missed shots and confusion.

8. The digital teleconverter disables itself when drive mode is set to 3FPS or 6FPS. Single shot has to be used. I don't think this is resource invensive and could work under 3FPS or 6FPS. At first, I didn't know why the digital convertor wasn't work since there were no error messages.

9. Quickly switching between photos in view mode has a split second of pixelization as the photo loads and lag. Using a Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card.

10. It is indoors in lower light, that it fail and hunts and takes a while longer in AF-S mode. The lens motor moves in and out as it focus, and you can hear the motor. If anyone has had a Canon 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty, they will know what I mean. Isn't nearly has loud but you can hear it. The autofocus is also very similar to that lens. It hunts, and sometimes will say item is in focus when it isn't (80% of time), or will take a while and eventually find focus. Compared to the Sony A6000 it is much slower and a little bit slower than Fuji XT-100. High performance mode is on, in AF-S mode, and tried center medium zone, and center spot. Same performance. When the AF light is triggered (very dark room), it can find focus quite well and at reasonable speed. I would say in low light the AF is similar to the first generations of mirrorless cameras like the Sony 5N or point and shoot camera. Eg. Canon A510.

I havn't tested AF-C too much on the XF10 since my XT100 was pretty bad in continuous autofocus. Took a few videos of my daughter indoors and it seemed ok. Not as good as Sony for sure.

11. There should have been a record button on the camera itself to immediately take video. Instead users have to first go to drive mode, and then navigate to movie, and then press the shutter button to start recording video. When done, the camera has to be changed back to photo drive mode. This can cause some missed photos and video opportunities due to too many steps. Perhaps a workaround is to allow users to map a "record video" button to be mapped to one of the function buttons, so it can record video instantly (like the XT100) whichout switching out of photo modes into video mode first?

12. It would be handy if the Q menu was touch enabled to take full advantage of touch screen. Even allowing users to navigate the menus via touch screen would be nice. Eg. Canon M50

13. When in delete mode, having an option to delete "all frames" is quite dangerous and can cause a loss of all images with an accidental press. When deleting, there is the option to delete "frames, selected frames, all frames". You can easily click this when deleting a single picture. The option to delete all frames should be under the menu near "format" memory card. It shouldn't be so easily accessible.

14. The joystick should be customizable for those users who prefer to the touchscreen to allow them to choose focus point. You could have up, down, left, right, and click in, to have 5 extra customisable buttons in addition to the touchscreen's customizational directions.

15. The default "focus check" is assigned to one of the custom buttons by default. It works well when in "viewing pictures" mode to check focus but when in "taking photos mode", the button doesnt' do anything at all. It doesn't zoom to check focus when 'taking pictures'. It's a waste of a button. It would be handy of the joystick click in button could be assigned to "focus check" when reviewing photos so you don't lose a button.

16. 'Sound and flash' and 'shutter type' should be assignable to a button/touch screen swipe.

17. More touchscreen button shortcuts should be assignable and customizable since they are quite handy. Currently there are only two: autofocus and film simulation. Panasonic and Canon seem to do well in this area.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I`m now back from a 2 week trip to Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick) where I brought my new Fuji XF10 and my wife brought her Fuji XT100. I purposely bought the XF10 for this trip since I wanted to travel a little bit lighter than my Sony A6000 with older 18-55mm lens. This was the true stress test for the camera. Overall, it did pretty well with some minor annoyances which weren`t deal breakers as long as you worked around them. This review may seem negative but I’m very particular about my cameras….there is never a perfect camera for all occasions.

Size/comfort/build quality
It is just a little big larger than a point and shoot camera. Very unobtrusive and great for taking candid shots in museums, libraries, restaurants, and other quiet places. I love the front rounded grip and is conforms to your hand and the rear has a pronounced grippy rubber thumb rest. Much better to hold than my wife’s XT100. The front “leather” had a decent amount of grip for my fingers as well. I mostly kept the camera in my small Megagear leather case which was hung across my chest and took out the camera when needed. Or I would hold the camera in hand while walking and the odd occasion, I would let it dangle around by the wrist strap. It would have been nice if the camera had dual mounting eyelets instead of single one for a neck strap. I suppose it would be possible to use a neck strap with a single eyelet but it the camera would spin around on your neck. The body itself seems to made of a metal composite and feels cool to the touch. Seems solidly built and doesn't seem to be cheap plastic. Dials are all metal.

Performance
The camera turns on relatively fast with single power on/off button. It would have been nice if it was a toggle switch like the XT100 so you instantly know if the camera is on or off. On the odd occasion, I thought I was turning the camera on when it was already on and it would power off. I never accidently power the camera by brushing the button by mistake. Outdoors during the day, the autofocus was decently snappy and wouldn’t miss too many shots. (estimate 95% accuracy) It’s slightly slower than the XT100. I only use AF-S with mostly center zone focusing, face detection enabled, priority set to shutter release not focus, performance mode on. At indoor and night light levels, autofocus would hunt and hunt (could hear the lens motor focus rack focus far, then close) or take a shot that wasn’t in focus even when it said it was. I was only taking pictures of my daughter eating in her high chair (not much movement) but focus accuracy was only about 70%. In night time I was trying to take a picture of our rental car 5 feet away if AF light enabled and it took 5 tries to get a decent shot in focus…it would hunt and hunt, and couldn’t lock focus. You would think that a prime wide angle lens couldn’t have too much depth of field to deal with and would focus faster. Perhaps it’s the older focus motor from the X70 lens? When using the camera with face detection and trying to take a selfie, it will often miss focus and focus on the background. Not a good selfie camera. I also didn’t trust the camera on some important occasions to take pictures of people so used my wife’s XT100 which was better. (my Sony A6000 is still much better at AF)

In general day to day use, the general operation was fast enough. Some pixalization when reviewing and moving between photos. I usually used 3FPS to take multiple shots in low light to prevent blurry shots due to movement with auto ISO up to 6400 with a preferred shutter speed of 1/125 in AV mode at F2.8 . In day light I couldn’t use F2.8 since the leaf shutter won’t go any higher than 1/1000 at F2.8 and there is no neutral density filter. The leaf shutter is supposed to go up to 1/4000 but aperture has to be stopped down. There is an electronic shutter that goes up to 1/16000 but the sensor readout is quite slow so any movement will lead to some distortion/blur. I didn’t use electronic shutter at all after noticing some of my shots at 1/2000 were blurry. I would often shoot at F2.8 indoors forget to stop the aperture down outside and would get overexposed shots due to the 1/1000 max shutter. I often had to adjust the aperture to 5.6 or 7.1 which allowed the leaf shutter to have a max 1/2000 shutter speed and not be overexposed. Or I would use shutter priority mode outside with a shutter of F5.6 or F7.1 for quick shots. My exposure compensation is set to -0.3 EV since the camera tends to overexpose more so than the XT100 which is set to neutral EV.

Snapshot mode
Snapshot mode to lock focus at 2Meters or 5Meters was pretty handy for shooting outside airplane/car windows for faster response and preventing the camera from focusing on the window. Keep in mind that 2M puts aperture at F8 and 5M puts aperture at F5.6, so not the best for low light situations and more for outdoor use. When walking about, I would sometimes use snapshot 5M with a 1/2000 to 1/2500 shutter speed and most shots were in focus.

Wifi
Wifi would sometimes disconnect when transferring photos from camera to my Samsung S7 Edge phone running Android 8.0. It will occur when selecting photos via the phone from the camera or during the transfer process. This would be annoying if I was selecting 50+ photos, then the camera would disconnect, and then I would have to select them or during the transfer process it would disconnect and then I would have to select the photos and start the transfer again. Transferring the original resolution jpg photos did take some time…about 2-5 seconds per photo so it was a lengthy process. Both the XF10 and XT100 had similar disconnect issues and transferring speeds. (this occurs when camera powersave mode is disabled or set to 5mins) My Sony A6000 transfers much faster at 1 second per photo and doesn’t typically disconnect from my phone.

Controls
The rear touch screen is both a blessing and sometimes an annoyance. It’s great to be able to pinch to zoom and change focus points but on many occasions the soft touchscreen buttons for focus would be accidently pressed which lead AF set to MF mode or the focus point would be set to the bottom corner. I liked touchscreen functionality, so I left the touchscreen it enabled. Would be nice to be able to disable the touchscreen buttons or move them. The 4 customizable swipe directions worked pretty well often used functions such as turning on Wifi or adjusting flash compensation.

I didn’t use the front control ring around the lense too often at its default setting which changes upon shooting mode and there aren’t many functions that it can be set to. (mostly used for film simulations) Would have been nice to have clicks to the ring instead of it being free spinning. The ring around the shutter button was used quite often to adjust aperture/shutter/ and to scroll between pictures…very good tactile feedback. The thumb dial is set to EV and worked well but I sometimes used it in error to try to change aperture/shutter….need to work on muscle memory and this can’t be customized. All dials appear to be machined metal and have good tactile feel and aren`t too easy/difficult to turn. Having direct access to adjust autofocus which the rear joystick was nice but I find I didn’t have to use it too often since I use center point. I find the joystick is a little cheap when adjusting directions. It needs more movement and the joystick tip is a bit too stiff/smooth….would be better with a rubber tip and longer throws/movement. I’m not crazy about how it feels for navigating the menu or scrolling between photos.

One glaring issue I had was when deleting photos. If you click the delete button, you have the option to delete ``frame/select frames/all frames”. I have accidentally clicked ‘all frames’ by accident when using the cheap joystick. You only have one more confirmation screen to click ok/cancel and before ALL your photos are deleted from the memory card. I immediately just turn the camera off since ok/cancel buttons are right next to each other and I don’t want to make a mistake. I hate this and you shouldn’t be able to delete all you photos so easily from the delete button. It should be buried in the menu next to the ‘format card’ option. Same issue with Fuji XT100.

Flash
Using flash with a leaf shutter is great since you aren’t tied down to a slow 1/120 shutter speed and can sync at higher speeds like 1/1000-1/4000 for fill flash outdoors. The only caveat is you can’t be in 3FPS or 6FPS mode, you have to be at single shot to be able to use the flash. I doesn’t tell you this and the flash just doesn’t fire even if it is enabled. I often use 3FPS natively to take multiple shots to avoid blur or catch the action. Having to switch single shot mode takes time and has caused me to missed shots. My Sony A6000 will let me use flash in burst modes, albeit at longer times to recharge the flash in between shots which is fine.

Image quality/lens
I mostly use Velvia film simulation in jpeg and didn’t have time to post process photos before posting on social media. Out of camera, the jpeg’s are vibrant with natural skin tones and avoids the yellow/green tinge of my Sony A6000. I love Fuji’s color science compared to Sony and less post processing is needed. I shoot up to ISO6400 and it’s pretty clean in low light. I would say it’s a little cleaner at 6400 compared to my Sony A6000 and there is less color shift. Underexposed shots/shadows have a lot of leeway and can be brought up quite well in Lightroom. Highlights like skies can be clipped at default EV settings very easily and can’t be recovered and I tend to underexpose by default. It’s very easy to overexpose if you don’t watch for the F2.8 max shutter speed of 1/1000 and stop down aperture.

At F2.8, the lens is decently sharp in the center and in the corners, it’s a little soft. I don’t tend to pixel peep or shoot with items in corners so it doesn’t really matter to me. I find stopping down to F7.1 doesn’t have much effect on sharpness and just adjusts depth of field. When shooting closeup subjects such as food, I would take a few shots since autofocus would sometimes choose the wrong point to focus (even when using center point) and to combat motion blur from handshake due to lack of image stabilization. The bokeh for ‘macro’ shots is decently creamy at F2.8 . At F2.8 for closeup portrait shots, the bokeh isn’t too bad. The lens extends slightly when turning on/focusing (more so for macro shots) and a few times I had turned on the camera while trying to take off the lens cap which gave an error “turn off camera and turn back on” since I had obstructed the lens from extending. Due to a lack of a lens hood or accessories, there is a little bit less contrast when shooting towards the sun. 18.5mm for some reason doesn’t seem to be as wide as 18mm on my Sony A6000 and I’m not sure how big of a difference the 0.5mm makes on the wide end but it seemed like I couldn’t fit as much in the frame as usual. The digital teleconverter at 35mm isn’t too bad, at 50mm it does like a little pixalated…no worse/better than cropping in Lightroom. The 24MP files show a lot of detail and they crop quite well and hold onto fine details. Quite impressed.

I really didn’t not like using a lens cap as it slowed down the shooting process and I usually use UV filters on all my cameras without a lens cap. The front lens thread appears to be 18mm but the smallest UV filter I’ve seen is 19mm and I don’t know if the front lens threads are actually full screw in threads. I have tried a stick on UV filter but the area around the lens doesn’t have a flat surface for adhesive.

I didn’t use the camera to record any video since my Samsung S7 has much better AF, image quality, and image stabilization when recording 1080P. Also, there is no direct record button for video and there isn`t a video mode on the mode dial…you have to go to drive mode, then go to video, which is an extra step.

Battery life
Battery life is quoted at 330 shots and I was able to get through the day with 500-700+ shots with some chimping to delete duplicates. Never had to use the spare battery I had with me. Charging a fully depleted battery in camera is about 4 hours which is quite a bit slower than the XT100. It is nice use microusb charging when travelling so less adapters need to be brought along. I usually set power management set to 5 mins and turn off the camera in between shots.

Improvements
I really missed having a selfie screen as it would have been handy for selfie shots and for some discreet shooting. Using a 18mm wide angle lens can be limiting and I found many of my shots looked just like ‘snapshots” from a point and shoot but with better dynamic range. I’m fine with this as I didn’t have time for proper composition as we were rushing around with my infant daughter. It would have been nice to have some optical zoom capability in a compact pancake form. The lack of image stabilization surprisingly wasn’t too bad on wide angle but it would have been nice in low light shots. The joystick could be improved to have better tactile feel/grip. The main thing that drove me nuts was slow/inaccurate autofocus in dimly light places/night. This has to be improved to be better than a point and shoot from the year 2000….it’s 2018!

Summary
Overall, the XF10 is an eccentric camera which not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you need a small camera for travel with a fixed lens, apsc sensor, 3 control dials, and good in low light, this may be the camera for you. If you do any vlogging, take selfie pictures, require zoom, or take pictures of fast moving subjects, this camera isn’t for you. At $650CAN, it’s a good alternative to the expensive Sony RX100 series line with only 1” sensors. Overall, I’d give the camera a 7/10. Would I purchase it again? Yes, it's a nice vacation camera with better quality than my phone in a small size. A revision with better autofocus, image stabilisation, zoom lens, more customizable buttons, and selfie screen, would be a welcome addition.
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3471 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
soupnazi wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:48 pm
I don't take pictures of bookcases and stare at the corners.
THIS sealed the deal on whether I could trust your review Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Also, great point on how the 18mm focal length can make photos seem like generic snapshots. I find I get the same when I use my 18mm f2, and you really have to be in a creative mood to make nice pictures or else you end up with something you could've just taken on your smartphone.