• Dec 9th, 2018 7:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Furnace not working...

Anyone know anything about Carrier 58msa080 furnaces?

Won't turn on.

Opened front panel. LED status light flashes 3 times, then pauses and repeats.

Googled it, but haven't found anything useful.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3019 posts
1318 upvotes
Scriptmonkey wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 7:57 pm
Anyone know anything about Carrier 58msa080 furnaces?

Won't turn on.

Opened front panel. LED status light flashes 3 times, then pauses and repeats.

Googled it, but haven't found anything useful.
You should have a set of short flashes followed by a set of long flashes as described on page 13 to tell you the problem. The troubleshooting page will also be located on one of the doors of your furnace.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/25552 ... 58msa.html
Mar 3, 2018
556 posts
327 upvotes
GTA
I would start with something easy first that I can do myself. Like cleaning the flame sensor.

[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Looks like the issue is

31 PRESSURE, DRAFT SAFEGUARD, AUXILIARY-LIMIT (when used) , OR BLOCKEDVENT SHUTOFF (when used) SWITCH DID NOT CLOSE OR REOPENED
- If open longer than five minutes, inducer shuts off for 15 minutes before retry.

Check for:
- Inadequate Combustion air supply.
- Proper vent sizing and condensate pitch or sag
- Low inducer voltage.
- Vent restriction or high winds.
- Disconnected or obstructed pressure tubing
- Defective inducer motor or start capacitor.
- Defective pressure switch or connections. If it opens after trial for ignitionperiod, blower will come on for 90 second recycle delay.

Not totally sure what to do with this info. Anyone?

pootza wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:09 pm
You should have a set of short flashes followed by a set of long flashes as described on page 13 to tell you the problem. The troubleshooting page will also be located on one of the doors of your furnace.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/25552 ... 58msa.html
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3019 posts
1318 upvotes
Usual troubles are either a failed pressure switch or your intake outside is blocked with frost.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
DaveTheDude wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:17 pm
I would start with something easy first that I can do myself. Like cleaning the flame sensor.

I'll give that a go.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
pootza wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:26 pm
Usual troubles are either a failed pressure switch or your intake outside is blocked with frost.
Intake I'll check.

Pressure switch... Will dig into that manual to figure it out.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3019 posts
1318 upvotes
Does your purge blower/inducer start?
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
pootza wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:32 pm
Does your purge blower/inducer start?
No, but there's a light switch that if we turn off and back on starts the blower, but only stays in for a less than a min.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3019 posts
1318 upvotes
The way to check your pressure switch is with a meter. Disconnect the two wires going to it and before the purge blower turns on you should not have continuity between the terminals on the switch. When the purge blower starts that will close the switch so you should have continuity. If that's not the case give the pressure switch a rap with the plastic end of a screwdriver and try again. This may free up the stuck contacts.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
pootza wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 9:07 pm
The way to check your pressure switch is with a meter. Disconnect the two wires going to it and before the purge blower turns on you should not have continuity between the terminals on the switch. When the purge blower starts that will close the switch so you should have continuity. If that's not the case give the pressure switch a rap with the plastic end of a screwdriver and try again. This may free up the stuck contacts.
Don't have a meter and wouldn't know what to do with it.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Scriptmonkey wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 10:28 pm
Don't have a meter and wouldn't know what to do with it.
And the motor is dead. Need to replace it, but the furnace installed in 2001.

The guy we hired said it'll cost around $500 for parts.

Replace the motor or get a new Furnace?
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Apr 19, 2018
134 posts
129 upvotes
Replacement depends on the age of the furnace, At $500, if the furnace otherwise has not been problematic and is less than ten years old, I'd go for the repair. Good furnaces should last 15 to 20 years.

That said, my Carrier-built Payne died six months ago at the ten year mark. After looking up information online, I tracked the fault 'flashes" to the high temp sensor in the flame box being tripped. The cause was a failed secondary heat exchanger. After a lot more research, I discovered there was a class action that had been launched and that Carrier had extended the warranty on the problematic heat exchanger to 20 years through a service bulletin according to the terms of the settlement to the lawsuit.

Getting the warranty work done was another matter. Most companies would not do it or they tried to get me to buy a new furnace. The ones who would fix the furnace wanted an extra $800 for labour over and above the Carrier compensation - reputedly because they needed 10 hours to do the work and Carrier only paid for three. Finally got a company come over to do the service work on condition I pay for extra labour. The tech came, changed the part in 2.5 hours and left. Five months later, the company sent a bill for $800 which I refused to pay based on the fact that the $800 was for seven hours of labour that had not been performed. I wrote a polite letter referencing relevant documents and the terms of the service bulletin from which they were compensated explaining my position and request that they write off this bill. They sent the bill over to collections and I got a couple of calls but they ceased after the second one. Probably didn't take it to small claims because they knew they couldn't win given the information I had collected and presented to them.

Bottom line, I got the furnace fixed and it cost nothing. It is running just fine right now.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
59 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Enlgma wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 7:10 pm
Replacement depends on the age of the furnace, At $500, if the furnace otherwise has not been problematic and is less than ten years old, I'd go for the repair. Good furnaces should last 15 to 20 years.

That said, my Carrier-built Payne died six months ago at the ten year mark. After looking up information online, I tracked the fault 'flashes" to the high temp sensor in the flame box being tripped. The cause was a failed secondary heat exchanger. After a lot more research, I discovered there was a class action that had been launched and that Carrier had extended the warranty on the problematic heat exchanger to 20 years through a service bulletin according to the terms of the settlement to the lawsuit.

Getting the warranty work done was another matter. Most companies would not do it or they tried to get me to buy a new furnace. The ones who would fix the furnace wanted an extra $800 for labour over and above the Carrier compensation - reputedly because they needed 10 hours to do the work and Carrier only paid for three. Finally got a company come over to do the service work on condition I pay for extra labour. The tech came, changed the part in 2.5 hours and left. Five months later, the company sent a bill for $800 which I refused to pay based on the fact that the $800 was for seven hours of labour that had not been performed. I wrote a polite letter referencing relevant documents and the terms of the service bulletin from which they were compensated explaining my position and request that they write off this bill. They sent the bill over to collections and I got a couple of calls but they ceased after the second one. Probably didn't take it to small claims because they knew they couldn't win given the information I had collected and presented to them.

Bottom line, I got the furnace fixed and it cost nothing. It is running just fine right now.
We're at the 16 year mark with our carrier 58msa080. Never had any issues until last night.

So either spend +$2000 CD on top of that labor to get a new one installed and the old one taken out.... Or $500 for parts + labor.
Richmond Hill, ON

Seeking:
55+" Samsung/LG TV
Apr 19, 2018
134 posts
129 upvotes
Scriptmonkey wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 7:22 pm
We're at the 16 year mark with our carrier 58msa080. Never had any issues until last night.

So either spend +$2000 CD on top of that labor to get a new one installed and the old one taken out.... Or $500 for parts + labor.
Well, If you can get a few more years out of the furnace, I'd go with the repair. The repair guy can give you an opinion on the condition of your furnace and if you could get another five years or so out of it. A properly maintained one run under normal conditions with no history of problems should make it that far.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)