Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes

Furniture Challenge: Mount TV in Armoire

We have an LCD TV and want to mount it inside an Armoire in our master suite.

The problem is that said Armoire sits perpendicular to our bed and the distance from the wall to the front of it is 19". We need a solution that allows the TV to extend beyond the side of the Airmore and pivot sideways to improve the viewing angle.

The Armoire does have a removable panel in the back and I've considered wall-mounting brackets for the TV. Problem is that I've only seen ones that extend a max of 20"; whereas something in the range of 24-30" would be ideal.

I'm quite handy, so another option is to build a sliding tray and use a Lazy Susan bearing from HD or Lee Valley. However, we're also constrained by height. Is there a metal solution readily availble, or does anyone know of slides etc. that would allow a 3/4" plywood slider mount almost flush to the bottom of the Armoire cavity?

From there, I figure I need a Lazy Susan (LV unit is 1/4" high) and another 3/4" plywood piece on top of that.

The bottom line is am I making this more complicated than it needs to be, or are commercially available solutions out there?

TIA.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Why not just build another panel inside that sits closer to the front and attach an articulating mount to that?

I've had to do simular with these over-the-fireplace niches that people get.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15155 posts
1581 upvotes
When mounting a TV, you'll probably have to reinforce the back panel of your armoire, preferably with solid wood.

Monoprice has an arm which can extend 26.5", however, it's range of motion maybe too big to use inside an armorie:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... largeimage

Another possibility is mounting the TV through the bottom panel of the armorie via a gromet, like a monitor mount?

http://www.ergomart.com/HD_LCD_monitor_ ... _SAA66.htm

The only draw back is that you'll be limited to the TV size, probably no more than 24" - 26"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes
Some good suggestions there guys, thanks.

I'd thought of building a box or something inside the Armoire and then using a standard articulating bracket, but I've not yet figured out how to mount such a contraption inside the cabinet.

The back panel is basically 1/4" ply, but the sides are solid hardwood (about 5/8" to 3/4" thick) so I have the option of screwing something into place.

I love the articulating arms suggested, but unfortunatley, the TV is 40" and about 38lbs in weight.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Remove the back as you said.

Two pieces of 5/8" plywood stuck together to form a nice thick backing. Fit it inside the cabinet forward enough to allow the TV to fold back inside. Secure with some angle iron on the back of the plywood. Or use some 2x2 strips down the sides and top/bottom on the backside with some woodscrews.

Secure the bracket to the nice thick piece of plywood using some lags and away you go.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
× < >