• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2017 11:27 am
[OP]
Nov 29, 2001
176 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga

Furniture purchase experience gone wrong

Hi All, I have run into a rather ridiculous and sour purchase experience with a local furniture retailer called the bedroomshop. I bought a bed for the kids in Nov '16 and paid down a hefty sum towards the deposit. I know I shouldn't have but i did. Reason was that this was my second purchase from this place and I had no issues the last time. So I trusted things would go without a hitch. But when they delivered the item in late Dec the pieces were scratched and corners scratched. I took pictures and told them to take it back as it was ridiculously manhandled, scratched and incomprehensively worn out. I mean the pieces had large gashes and some of them were resting on the floor of the delivery truck without any padding.

I emailed the retailer 'customer service line' the pictures. And they took their time to respond saying that it was how they got it from the manufacturer which is located a few hours out of Toronto. And they sent me another note saying that the scratches belonged to the back and underside surfaces of the assembled unit so they could be touched up.
I asked that for the full price the pieces were in extrememly unacceptable condition to be deemed as new regardless of where the surface lined up.

After much status requests and requests to cancel the order instead, the retailer responded by saying they will replace a couple of items. So I asked that all damaged/scratched items be replaced with new ones else they rather cancel the order instead instread of trying to just be selective about which pieces to replace.

A couple of weeks ago they said that they have requested new ones from the manufacturer (a few of the major problem pieces) and they scheduled delivery to my home the second time.

During the delivery a few days ago, the lead delivery person asked for the entire balance paid in full at the door, before they unloaded the items from the truck. The items this time were covered in cardboard packaging this we couldn't tell if the items were replaced or touched up. When we requested that the items be opened they said that we'd have to pay before opening anything. Not knowing what to expect and given the attritude of the delivery team this time, we had no other choice but to reject the delivery. Because without being able to see what they brought asking for money upfront was unfair given our experience the last time.

We have asked if we can check the items before they are delivered or as they are delivered before we have to pay. No response.

The credit card company says if we signed a receipt for the deposit that says deposits are non-refundable then essentially we are SOL. Is there anything else we can do here? Any advice on how we should proceed?
10 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
3212 posts
1984 upvotes
GTA
Paint the sign- "They deliver damaged furniture and refuse to return my deposit. Shop at your own risk " Start walking in front of that store and take it from there.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2001
176 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't think this a store issue. Other than the non refundable deposit policy I think I am not ready to say one store is better than the other. It was the Mississauga store actually.

Once the sale is made I am dealing with a warehouse /fulfilment team. The store folks won't talk to me. It seems store folks have absolutely nothing to do with when how or in what shape the item gets to my house or if it even gets there at all.

The warehouse folks which I am not sure how many are there given this is a two store operation are painfully slow to respond and I am not sure how this second time around they will address this.

I admit paying a large deposit was a bad move on my part but the first time they brought the unassembled pieces inside my house and didn't ask about the payment. Now the second time around they are asking for money before they even unload. Suddenly they are smarter on my account. I want the item desperately. I have bought mattresses that are on the floor for almost a month since this was supposed to be delivered in new condition in early Jan!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12220 posts
6492 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear OP, I just purchased from them, small items, good price, picked it up myself tho. I would strong suggest getting in touch with your CC company as mentioned above and going to the store. Stop wasting your time with email and phone calls, go in person and if there are folks in the store, kick up a stink. That store is pretty busy from my visits, surely you will be able to do some damage by being vocal.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7037 posts
3220 upvotes
Paris
gizmo8 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:11 am
Lots of furniture companies uses drop shipping these days instead of warehousing the items themselves.They rarely see the items before delivery so they trust the delivery companies be careful with the items.
This is a really good point. The delivery company may be on the hook for this now and that's why they want money before delivery.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7037 posts
3220 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 6:01 pm
http://www.dnc.ca/showthread.php?10165- ... -all-costs!!

Found that on the DNC of all places. I take it this is the Newmarket store?
I just read this. It's great comedy value. "Customer provided us wrong address, it's their responsibility to look on the top right of invoice"

Customer: "My address was correct on the invoice and its on the top left"

Business: "We will never know whose fault it was the address was wrong and this customer is unreasonable"

Trump's "Alternative Facts"
[OP]
Nov 29, 2001
176 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
The Mississauga store is very lightly visited on weekdays or for that matter even on weekends, I have rarely seen more than myself and the 2 salespeople there. I am not sure how effective it would be. They seem to be serving a very small bunch of clientele given the saturation in furniture retailers. I deliberately avoided all of them and thought what could go wrong with getting a 'Canadian made' furniture buying Ontario, and buying from a place where our last King set didn't give us any issues.

I did get in touch with the credit card company a few weeks ago and told them the details. Yesterday they spoke with my wife and told them that since we signed the deposit is non-refundable on the back of their bill, they can't do much and we "should have been careful". This is CT mastercard by the way. They said take the delivery and if it appears damaged still (and i am somewhat quoting here) "take pictures and have it assessed by another furniture company and if they confirm it is indeed damaged we will reverse the transaction". Um what?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7037 posts
3220 upvotes
Paris
TO_raptor wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:29 am
This is CT mastercard by the way. They said take the delivery and if it appears damaged still (and i am somewhat quoting here) "take pictures and have it assessed by another furniture company and if they confirm it is indeed damaged we will reverse the transaction". Um what?
Having run a credit card, let me try to explain this for you because it IS confusing.

When airline Canada3000 went under people had paid for their tickets months in advance. I was one of those folks. Refunds could not be given until the flight date came and went as the retailer did not fulfill their obligations but it wasn't for sure UNTIL the fight dates came and went. I was out $800 for 7 months with that mess.

Same case here. So far, the retailer has fulfilled their obligation which is literally nothing. But if they deliver inferior goods under the WHOLE contract then they failed to uphold their end of the deal and you can get your money back.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12220 posts
6492 upvotes
Toronto
TO_raptor wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:29 am
The Mississauga store is very lightly visited on weekdays or for that matter even on weekends, I have rarely seen more than myself and the 2 salespeople there. I am not sure how effective it would be. They seem to be serving a very small bunch of clientele given the saturation in furniture retailers. I deliberately avoided all of them and thought what could go wrong with getting a 'Canadian made' furniture buying Ontario, and buying from a place where our last King set didn't give us any issues.

I did get in touch with the credit card company a few weeks ago and told them the details. Yesterday they spoke with my wife and told them that since we signed the deposit is non-refundable on the back of their bill, they can't do much and we "should have been careful". This is CT mastercard by the way. They said take the delivery and if it appears damaged still (and i am somewhat quoting here) "take pictures and have it assessed by another furniture company and if they confirm it is indeed damaged we will reverse the transaction". Um what?
If you aren't even willing to entertain the idea of going there in person, there really isn't anything anyone else in on this forum can do to help you. IMO, it would be more effective than posting on a forum, sending emails and making phone calls. You said it was a good deposit? Then either snooze or lose. Want it desperately, accept the items and get over it. That's the reality.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯