• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2014 11:00 am
Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2007
390 posts
3 upvotes

Furniture won't go through door - Retailer refuses full refund

Brought some furniture from a store and didn't know it comes in one piece and not able to be disassembled. Long story short, the delivery guys can't place the furniture inside the apartment so they sent it back to the store.

Retailer refuses to give full refund, saying it is not their fault and it is a final sale. Insists on store credit only. Given the furniture is aboout $4000 and there isn't anything else we want to buy from that store, that is $4000 wasted.

Any suggestions on what to do?
104 replies
Apr 11, 2009
5 posts
1 upvote
Did you buy on credit? If so, contact your credit card company.
Dec 4, 2014
107 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Post the name of the store. So we will know never to shop there.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
So you didn't take any measurements before buying? Or to enquire about the store's return policy? There are lots of stores that do not offer refunds, only exchanges. If it was a final sale, count yourself lucky that they are offering store credit. I don't know if a chargeback is appropriate in this case since they did deliver the goods, it was your fault for not checking whether it would fit through the door.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
633 upvotes
Op must have thought he bought "ikea" furniture.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
^ Agree with above, although customer exceptions usually help (i guess store credit is one way).

Try selling the store credit to someone? IDK
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10526 upvotes
Have you offered to pay a restocking fee to get a cash refund? It seems only reasonable given that this situation is not their fault, and the furniture may have been a custom order that they are now stuck with because of you not measuring the dimensions before hand.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
I fail to see how the store is in the wrong here.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
130 upvotes
Kitchener
Did you sign for the goods as delivered? In one way they were not truly delivered - because they cant be. There for perhaps it is possible to do a chargeback as vendor is unable to deliver
Aug 26, 2007
390 posts
3 upvotes
27kingston wrote: Did you sign for the goods as delivered? In one way they were not truly delivered - because they cant be. There for perhaps it is possible to do a chargeback as vendor is unable to deliver
We had the delivery guys wrote on the paper that the goods were not delivered as it doesn't fit into the door. They wrote it down and signed it.

As for measurements, previously when we brought furnitures from other stores it was delivered as unassembled in boxes. This store charge a fee for delivery and assembly so we thought that they would deliver it in parts and then assemble it inside. Didn't occur that they would try and deliver the thing as one piece.

It is a store display model as well, not a custom order.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
p3t3rl1 wrote: We had the delivery guys wrote on the paper that the goods were not delivered as it doesn't fit into the door. They wrote it down and signed it.
There was an attempt at delivery and you were there. Chargeback would be questionable.

As for measurements, previously when we brought furnitures from other stores it was delivered as unassembled in boxes. This store charge a fee for delivery and assembly so we thought that they would deliver it in parts and then assemble it inside. Didn't occur that they would try and deliver the thing as one piece.

It is a store display model as well, not a custom order.[/quote]
The fact it's a display model means it would have likely come assembled. Highly unlikely they would have disassembled it, and unfortunately it's something you should have asked - especially if there was even the remotest possibility it wouldn't fit through your door. That's something you would have been able to identify visually while it was on display.

Depending on what the receipt says, it very well may be final sale or store credit and there's not much you can do because they attempted to deliver and there's nothing apparently wrong with the piece. I would ask if they could perhaps break it down into two pieces (or however many can reasonably be used to fit it through the door but with minimal fuss for the disassemble/reassemble then attempt a redelivery.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4966 posts
13385 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
try using one of the windows
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]I fail to see how the store is in the wrong here.[/QUOTE]

They aren't!
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Aug 18, 2006
76 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Best option is to annex the hallway in font of your apartment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5009 upvotes
Toronto
What type of furniture is it? Maybe it can partially disassembled to fit through the door? It might be more complex than standard "knock-down" (i.e. ready-to-assemble) furniture, but a good handyman or carpenter might be able to do it for a small fee.

Otherwise, I agree with others that it's not the store's fault, but since it was a display model and they can place it back on the showroom floor, like TrevorK suggested, offer a restocking fee and chalk it up to experience.
Apr 7, 2012
824 posts
847 upvotes
gta
store is not at fault. as for what you can do now if its big store maybe there is a secondary market for the store credit, or just buy something from there that fits your place and call it a lesson learned.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
steve-0101 wrote: I fail to see how the store is in the wrong here.
The store hasn't done any wrong, however their name should be know so people can decide to spend their money at stores that are willing to return items for a customer. It's not required, but it is certainly nice value added service
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
HoserHead wrote: Did you buy on credit? If so, contact your credit card company.
Nothing the credit card company can do. If it is final sale, it is final sale. A dispute of the charge would not be able to be set up as the SE did nothing wrong. In this case I would not post the name of the store.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Maybe you should make a complaint to yourself about your lack of planning and then charge your own CC extra for the pain and suffering YOU caused yourself.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)