Tags:
None
Oct 15, 2011
81 posts
12 upvotes
VANCOUVER
lexani wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:13 pm
Wasn't there a recall on the Type-S engine?
There was a recall on the power steering hose, that was a quick 1-2 hour fix at the dealer.

Again, no really big problems in the Acura's. Also you'll have much higher resale value than a ford.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22870 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
djemzine wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:39 pm
Of course but I was mentioning "long term" reliability
The cost of ownership on the fusion will be much lower than the Tl for the next 5 years because:

1. Comprehensive warranty still in effect until 2014
2. Powertrain warranty still in effect until 2016 vs 2014 for the Acura
3. Acura dealers rape you on maintenance, like all "premium" Japanese manufacturers
4. The Fusion will be cheaper to insure.

The TL is a nicer and better car, but the Fusion has been one of the most reliable mid size cars for te ebetter part of it's product life.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2012
67 posts
London
Thanks for the feedback so far!!! To Mr. Raider: 1. Comprehensive warranty still in effect until 2014, [B]I plan to purchase a extended warr. with either car which offers me peace of mind. I've found out the price diff. for said warranty is almost 60% more for the Fusion!! Which tells me either there is a huge mark-up at domestic cars extended warr. STILL or they know I will have more problems with the Fusion( Likely a combo of both IMO.[/B]
2. Powertrain warranty still in effect until 2016 vs 2014 for the Acura.See above reply
3. Acura dealers rape you on maintenance, like all "premium" Japanese manufacturers Thanks I'm planning to vist a dealer and look at their prices,funny a few years ago Honda/Acura listed their maint. costs right on a display in their service today going into 2 Ford dealers no such post,and back in Aug. was at another dealer(Ford) asked the service manger to email a list for 3-4 years never got a reply not very good again IMO
4. The Fusion will be cheaper to insure. Got a quote thru a link from "CarHelp Canada" and for the same coverage the TL was cheaper by $300per year!!!![/B)

So I'm now going to look alot more closely at the TL and call a couple of people I know who work on cars(already spoke to 1 person today and was told some parts are more pricy,however for an example he told that the Honda/Acura's are generally easier to work on than Fords.Will confirm this. Why wouldn't the Ford dealerships give me the main. shed. info really has me wondering about what they would be like to deal with in the future????
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22870 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
jedi99 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 6:00 pm
Thanks for the feedback so far!!! To Mr. Raider: 1. Comprehensive warranty still in effect until 2014, [B]I plan to purchase a extended warr. with either care which offers me peace of mind. I've found out the price diff. for said warrnty is almost 60% more for the Fusion!! Which tells me either there is a huge mark at domestic cars extended warr. STILL or they know I will have more problems with the Fusion( Likely a combo of both IMO.[/B]
most likely because there will be less years of coverage on teh TL. Extended warranties start from teh original date of purchase.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
146 upvotes
Cerenity wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:41 am
TL but def make sure you stay with 2007 or 2008. anything after 2008 looks like crap > :( and pre 2007 has some issues as mentioned.
No it doesn't. The 2001-2003 TL has issues with the automatic transmission but the 04+ has no problem.
Oct 15, 2011
81 posts
12 upvotes
VANCOUVER
04-06 they had fewer problems with the transmissions, but it wasnt until 07 that they revised the whole thing and made it light years strongers and more durable.
Aug 25, 2005
781 posts
62 upvotes
jedi99 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 6:00 pm
Thanks for the feedback so far!!! To Mr. Raider: 1. Comprehensive warranty still in effect until 2014, [B]I plan to purchase a extended warr. with either car which offers me peace of mind. I've found out the price diff. for said warranty is almost 60% more for the Fusion!! Which tells me either there is a huge mark-up at domestic cars extended warr. STILL or they know I will have more problems with the Fusion( Likely a combo of both IMO.[/B]
2. Powertrain warranty still in effect until 2016 vs 2014 for the Acura.See above reply
3. Acura dealers rape you on maintenance, like all "premium" Japanese manufacturers Thanks I'm planning to vist a dealer and look at their prices,funny a few years ago Honda/Acura listed their maint. costs right on a display in their service today going into 2 Ford dealers no such post,and back in Aug. was at another dealer(Ford) asked the service manger to email a list for 3-4 years never got a reply not very good again IMO
4. The Fusion will be cheaper to insure. Got a quote thru a link from "CarHelp Canada" and for the same coverage the TL was cheaper by $300per year!!!![/B)

So I'm now going to look alot more closely at the TL and call a couple of people I know who work on cars(already spoke to 1 person today and was told some parts are more pricy,however for an example he told that the Honda/Acura's are generally easier to work on than Fords.Will confirm this. Why wouldn't the Ford dealerships give me the main. shed. info really has me wondering about what they would be like to deal with in the future????

Make sure you read the fine print on the extended warranties. Some aftermarket warranties require maintenance to be performed at certain intervals and at certain places. Also, look our for deductibles.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2012
67 posts
London
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 6:56 pm
most likely because there will be less years of coverage on teh TL. Extended warranties start from teh original date of purchase.
From my going to Acura's web site a new TL 7/200kms was just under $2,000 cdn where as a new 2012 Fusion is $3,450 so while have not compared a used Acura warranty yet I've also found out the used 5/100,000km is over $2,200 asking price for the Fusion will report back soon about the Acura. Thanks Mr. Raider for your feedback so far just informing you of my findings so far! :)
[OP]
Aug 26, 2012
67 posts
London
redac wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 9:14 pm
Make sure you read the fine print on the extended warranties. Some aftermarket warranties require maintenance to be performed at certain intervals and at certain places. Also, look our for deductibles.
Hi: Thanks not going to get a 3rd party warranty read to many horrorr stories about them and I'm not going to chance it!! But thanks for the heads up!!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22870 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
jedi99 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 9:14 pm
From my going to Acura's web site a new TL 7/200kms was just under $2,000 cdn where as a new 2012 Fusion is $3,450 so while have not compared a used Acura warranty yet I've also found out the used 5/100,000km is over $2,200 asking price for the Fusion will report back soon about the Acura. Thanks Mr. Raider for your feedback so far just informing you of my findings so far! :)
The acura warranty costs less because it has less to cover. The Acura has a better base warranty.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39495 posts
5839 upvotes
King City
Good luck with your choice nevertheless and remember research is key :)
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 2:33 pm
The cost of ownership on the fusion will be much lower than the Tl for the next 5 years because:

1. Comprehensive warranty still in effect until 2014
2. Powertrain warranty still in effect until 2016 vs 2014 for the Acura
3. Acura dealers rape you on maintenance, like all "premium" Japanese manufacturers
4. The Fusion will be cheaper to insure.

The TL is a nicer and better car, but the Fusion has been one of the most reliable mid size cars for te ebetter part of it's product life.
+1

Fusion runs on regular gas...not premium as with the TL.

Fusion has a timing chain...not a timing belt that needs to be replaced as with the TL ( and a timing belt / water pump, seals, tensioners, pulleys etc. service can be rather pricey ;) )
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39495 posts
5839 upvotes
King City
I guess question is, if OP wants to sell down the road, which one has a better resale value? PS as a current Ford owner as well, I've noticed the depreciation is quiet high. That's just my observation by the way.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Aug 26, 2012
67 posts
London
Hi: "Fusion has a timing chain...not a timing belt that needs to be replaced as with the TL ( and a timing belt / water pump, seals, tensioners, pulleys etc. service can be rather pricey ") Yes I'm aware of these added costs with the TL,However I recently did more "net surfing" and found out the Ford 6F35 transmission issues are not so small and that combined with over the last few days calling the service departments at 2 Ford dealers and being told not aware of this problem,1 of these are the same dealers that never provided me a main. sched. cost by email so now I'm leery of the Fusion but still looking at the whole pic. Thanks for the help

P.S Depreciation is a sign that a car might have major flaws, otherwyse on a percentage level the Fusion should not drop any lower than a TL
Aug 25, 2005
781 posts
62 upvotes
jedi99 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2012 9:41 am
Hi: "Fusion has a timing chain...not a timing belt that needs to be replaced as with the TL ( and a timing belt / water pump, seals, tensioners, pulleys etc. service can be rather pricey ") Yes I'm aware of these added costs with the TL,However I recently did more "net surfing" and found out the Ford 6F35 transmission issues are not so small and that combined with over the last few days calling the service departments at 2 Ford dealers and being told not aware of this problem,1 of these are the same dealers that never provided me a main. sched. cost by email so now I'm leery of the Fusion but still looking at the whole pic. Thanks for the help

P.S Depreciation is a sign that a car might have major flaws, otherwyse on a percentage level the Fusion should not drop any lower than a TL
I have a relative with a 2010 Fusion and it's been very reliable. As others have mentioned, they are very different cars. The TL is a lot nicer....