Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Future Shop] Energy RC-70 Tower Speaker $329.99 each

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2014 9:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
vr_nguyen wrote: How do these add up to the Klipsch RF800 thats on sale for $399 at FS

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 021990en02
Klipsch are almost the complete opposite of the RC-70s. The RC-70s are pretty laid back / warm sounding, while the Klipsch will be a lot more forward sounding. As SizzleChest said, it's a personal preference thing. I would probably prefer something closer to the RC-70s personally. Some positives for the Klipsch towers are that you'll be able to find a matching centre easier; and the Klipsch are very efficient speakers. Given the same power, the Klipsch will sound quite a bit louder, so you don't need as much power to run them.
hyperactiveme wrote: I can appreciate the love for these speakers but is the price difference justify the sound difference between the Polk 70 @ $160 ea or these Infinity 363 @ $160

Price does play into it a bit for me. Thanks again. BTW in close to the boarder so that's not an issue.

This will be strictly for music
I'm not a huge fan of Polk's Monitor line. They're not bad for the price, but I'd much rather get these. I haven't listened to the Primus series but they get good reviews for the price and most people tend to prefer them over Polk's Monitor series.

As for whether the RCs are worth the extra money, that's up to you. Bestbuy carries the Primus series so I would highly recommend listening to them to make your own judgement.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
SizzleChest wrote: Everything I read from people that know a lot more about audio then I do indicates to avoid bose as there is always a better alternative.
Bose's modern stuff is grossly overpriced. On older speakers from the 70's they were decent. Having said that, usually any speaker that you buy from a store like Futureshop is grossly overpriced to begin with.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6946 posts
7520 upvotes
BC
hyperactiveme wrote: I can appreciate the love for these speakers but is the price difference justify the sound difference between these Infinity 363 @ $160

Price does play into it a bit for me. Thanks again. BTW in close to the boarder so that's not an issue.

This will be strictly for music
As mentioned, listen to both and decide for yourself. I would hope the RC-70s sound better given huge difference in the original MSRP, but whether or not they are worth it is totally up to you.
Jan 8, 2008
489 posts
172 upvotes
I hope you guys have large rooms for these speakers. They will overpower small rooms both physically and sonically.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
zenzen wrote: I hope you guys have large rooms for these speakers. They will overpower small rooms both physically and sonically.
+1. These speakers need a big room to sound their best. Make sure they are well away from the back and side walls otherwise they will sound muddy and boomy
Mar 6, 2006
832 posts
725 upvotes
GTA
does anybody have a suggestion for a centre channel and surrounds to come with this?
Dec 18, 2011
487 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal
warpdrive wrote: +1. These speakers need a big room to sound their best. Make sure they are well away from the back and side walls otherwise they will sound muddy and boomy
is 1 foot from wall enough room?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
warpdrive wrote: +1. These speakers need a big room to sound their best. Make sure they are well away from the back and side walls otherwise they will sound muddy and boomy
With that in mind, what's the minimum size room do you suggest?
Jan 26, 2013
253 posts
232 upvotes
zenzen wrote: I hope you guys have large rooms for these speakers. They will overpower small rooms both physically and sonically.
Agreed. These speakers sounded way better when I moved into a much bigger room.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
elixer wrote: is 1 foot from wall enough room?
vr_nguyen wrote: With that in mind, what's the minimum size room do you suggest?
I heard these in a 2500 cubic foot room (around 20 x 14 IIRC) with them placed about a foot from side wall and 1 foot from the back wall and the speakers still overwhelmed the room somewhat, the sound was a bit too boomy which dominated the mids and treble;. The other problem is that this is a tall speaker and you need to be far away from the drivers for all the drivers to integrate their sound together. The bass was a bit too boomy so I had to use the port plugs to tame the bass somewhat. We tried moving them about 3 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side wall, and it sounded much better, but then the speakers took up too much room (they are pretty wide and deep). I thought the smaller RC-50 sounded a lot better in the same room without the port plugs inserted.

These are a great deal, but make sure you can really make use of them. They were Energy's largest speakers and they were clearly meant for somebody with a large home theatre room
Dec 29, 2005
415 posts
179 upvotes
Victoria
Wonder if they'd be any good matched with the Energy RC-Mini I bought in 2010?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I heard these in a 2500 cubic foot room (around 20 x 14 IIRC) with them placed about a foot from side wall and 1 foot from the back wall and the speakers still overwhelmed the room somewhat, the sound was a bit too boomy which dominated the mids and treble;. The other problem is that this is a tall speaker and you need to be far away from the drivers for all the drivers to integrate their sound together. The bass was a bit too boomy so I had to use the port plugs to tame the bass somewhat. We tried moving them about 3 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side wall, and it sounded much better, but then the speakers took up too much room (they are pretty wide and deep). I thought the smaller RC-50 sounded a lot better in the same room without the port plugs inserted.

These are a great deal, but make sure you can really make use of them. They were Energy's largest speakers and they were clearly meant for somebody with a large home theatre room
Since replacing my RC-30's with some PSB T6's a few months ago, the RC-30's have moved to a room I use for casual music listening. That room is about the same size as the one Warpdrive mentioned and they are pretty much at home there. Well balanced and not outdone by the open space. Similar to the Paradigm 7SE's that they in-turn replaced :)
Nov 26, 2003
837 posts
182 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
Ouch! It hurts to not buy a second pair at that price but I don't need it or have the space in a second room. Got mine on amazon.com a while ago for under $1,000 all in. For those who are interested, I still have a NIB RC-LCR beacause I got a deal on a $1,000 center that match pretty well so I never opened my RC-LCR
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
Oh man, $700 + tax. I'm currently using tsi200 as my front speakers, is it worth the upgrade?
Nov 19, 2003
5 posts
Coquitlam
aren't the Veritas for 499 a hotter deal? These were on sale a month ago. I didn't see any threads on this.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1402 posts
617 upvotes
EDMONTON
I am assuming correctly that my 7 series onkyo amp at 100wpc will not satiate the power needs of this speaker ?

May look to get the monitor 75s at visions for 398/pair boxing day, any comments on that
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6946 posts
7520 upvotes
BC
beazur wrote: aren't the Veritas for 499 a hotter deal? These were on sale a month ago. I didn't see any threads on this.
Which is better sound quality wise is again back to personal preference (veritas are a bit brighter), but for most people the piano black/rosenut finish of the Veritas is much nicer than the standard black ash of the RCs. The only downside to the piano finish is that it shows fingerprints and dust.
Piddles wrote: I am assuming correctly that my 7 series onkyo amp at 100wpc will not satiate the power needs of this speaker ?
100watts is plenty
Mar 9, 2010
195 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
For those who are thinking about getting these, I should be selling a brand new pair of RC-10's very shortly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1788 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
The dream is dead. These are too deep/big for WAF. I can get the 50 series demo locally for $250. That might be an option. Congratulations to those that bought these.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)