• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2007 6:48 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2007
1 posts
Vancouver BC

Future Shop interview Question

I did the online application and got called back they asked me some questions on the phone then set up a in store interview. I was very happy that i got asked to come in, I figured that they had liked what i said. I went in and was interviewd by a sales manager not who i was told i was gonna see when i got the phone call they told me it was the manager i was to see, Is this a bad thing? Anyway the interview went well i was asked situational questions we did some roleplaying and then when it was over he explained that this is the 1st interview and i will be called back for the 2nd interview with the manager if they like me after they review my meeting and resume. Is this the way it is for getting the job or did i get brushed off and if i am still doing good when should i hear back for the 2nd meeting? I am so praying for it. Any info into peoples past experience and thoughts would be great thanx. :D
13 replies
Dec 1, 2005
510 posts
I don't know if its the same as best buy, but i had an interview at bb with the sales manager first, then the general manager

I woudn't worry
Banned
Jan 14, 2007
146 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
With all large companies comes expensive, and time consuming procurement of staff. I've been working for a few large companies now: TDSB, RONA, Home Depot. Even at entry level positions (Sales staff) they had me waiting easily 3-4 weeks for the "second" or even "Third" "Interview" as they like to call them. With Home Depot, I talked to the Manager on Duty, The HR Manager, The Store Assistant Manager, and finally the Store Manager. After all of that, I was eventually hired for an entry level, minimum wage, sales job. They easily spent 20+ Managerial hours with me, and about 18 hours of paid training :D I left after the paid training. HAHAHA.

TDSB was an even longer wait.

Tip: CALL THEM BACK EVERY SINGLE DAY. This is actually not an annoyance to them, it will you in the front of their mind; everyone else moving to the back. You will always get thought of first.
Don't be scared to just call everyone - Store manager, assistant, CDN HR manager, Head office coordinators; call EVERYONE. Tell them who you are, what you're waiting for (the interview) AND Tell them all you can start right ASAP. You want to know when you're going to start, not "if" you got the job. :D

Goodluck.
Jun 16, 2007
147 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
I partly disagree with the above. I do agree in the sense that you are supposed to call them back everyday, but I DON'T agree with his notion that you have to call EVERYONE everyday. Too much of a good thing can be bad.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1392 posts
2 upvotes
Tip: CALL THEM BACK EVERY SINGLE DAY. This is actually not an annoyance to them, it will you in the front of their mind; everyone else moving to the back. You will always get thought of first.
Don't be scared to just call everyone - Store manager, assistant, CDN HR manager, Head office coordinators; call EVERYONE. Tell them who you are, what you're waiting for (the interview) AND Tell them all you can start right ASAP. You want to know when you're going to start, not "if" you got the job. :D

Goodluck.[/QUOTE]

I am a hiring manager, and believe me, if you called me every day, I would get really annoyed, and you would be front of mind, but not in a positive way.

If word got around that you were calling everyone, every day, that would border on harassment and unless I was desperate for people, or you were BY FAR the best candidate, I would find someone else for the position. What you would be showing me is how much of a pain in the ass you would certainly be once on the payroll
Nov 13, 2005
92 posts
I recall my interviews at FS was first a prelimenary group interview with the Operational Manager, which was a very brief self-introduction, then a one-on-one interview with the General Manager.

I know at least 4 out of 12 people were sifted out with the first procedure. They were either in a rush to leave or were talking excessively in an attempt to impress the interviewer. Just use common sense and you should be fine. I arrived late to the interview, I apologized, participated in the introduction and explained afterwards to the interviewer that I was rushing back from campus and was proceeded.

The second interview with the General Manager was in a more intimate setting. The questions she asked were similar questions to the online questionaire in addition to some regarding my previous experience with customer service. More specifically, she asked "If you worked here, what would you do if you witnessed a customer damaging the goods of the company?". Try to answer confidently and with honesty and integrity. They're not trick questions.

In the end 3 people including myself were given a job offer. Strangely, she asked for references offering me the job. I'm still young and unexperienced, but I wonder if that is the norm of hiring processes.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
dont call everyday, it would be annoying.. they will likely to reject your offer
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1367 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
Ahh I remember my days of being interviewed with FutureShop, Great place to work, ****** place to shop. The order of interviews do not make a difference. It's random, whatever manager is free will do the interview.
Looking for work in Vancouver! and friends! Just moved here!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2005
5731 posts
27 upvotes
Surrey
Don't worry, just wait for them to call. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to get a job at FS. The sales staff at some locations definately aren't the brightest. The few that I happened to talk to about some of their products were either clueless or made up BS.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
1021 posts
23 upvotes
So my friend got a seasonal job last week and he has started working. I went in one day, and I told him to show me the cost price (he's new and he has no idea what he's doing, and nor do I). So we couldn't figure it out. He knew more than me and entered some product ID numbers (webid numbers, like for the 360 & wii) but we couldn't get to see the cost prices.

So anyone know how to see the discounted prices for employees? I know the markup won't be more than like $30 on consoles, but it's better than paying full. Also the same on games. What's the markup like? I know in the US, the markup on a wii's only like $20 or something. And I don't wanna make numerous tips because it might become obvious that we knew each other and we were up to something...
Jan 29, 2007
147 posts
Downtown T.O.
Its cost + 10%

Tell him to look on the product inquiry scan page on the green text computer

For video game consoles, its MORE than retail with the employee purchase

I bought a few games last week its like 10% off non-sale items
"Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"
- Andrew Ryan "Bioshock" 2007 GOTY
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts
75020780 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2007 5:08 pm
With all large companies comes expensive, and time consuming procurement of staff. I've been working for a few large companies now: TDSB, RONA, Home Depot. Even at entry level positions (Sales staff) they had me waiting easily 3-4 weeks for the "second" or even "Third" "Interview" as they like to call them. With Home Depot, I talked to the Manager on Duty, The HR Manager, The Store Assistant Manager, and finally the Store Manager. After all of that, I was eventually hired for an entry level, minimum wage, sales job. They easily spent 20+ Managerial hours with me, and about 18 hours of paid training :D I left after the paid training. HAHAHA.

TDSB was an even longer wait.

Goodluck.
Don't need to call them everyday. The rule is to call after 2 weeks of the interview to follow up.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1262 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
75020780 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2007 1:08 pm

Goodluck.
My God, that must qualify as the WORST piece of advice I have read on RFD!! Do NOT under any circumstance call everyone involved on a daily basis. Yes, you want to seem eager, but calling daily WILL be an annoyance and will make you seem like a lunatic. I've done some hiring myself and if anyone had have pulled this, I would definitely NOT have considered them. I mean, if you are that annoying and show that little social skill before you are hired, what would you be like after?? There's no way I'd want to find out. And honestly, do you really want to be taking advice from someone who wasted everyone's time by quitting after 18 hours of work AND thinks it's hysterical.
× < >