Future Shop not providing their Lowest Price Guarantee when matching Best Buy

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2010 8:59 am
Aug 29, 2004
187 posts
208 upvotes
Mississauga

Future Shop not providing their Lowest Price Guarantee when matching Best Buy

On Monday night I was attempting to do a price match guarantee (110% of the difference) at the Future Shop at 2975 Argentia Rd in Mississauga (Winston Churchill) and I was told that they no longer consider Best Buy a competitor and while they can match the price they cannot give the 10% difference.

I asked to see this policy in writing but I was given the run around. It was funny the customer service reps and the Sale Manager could not find the policy. There is no mention of this in their store policy posted on futureshop.ca http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/help/our ... eId=hc8077

The Sale Manager also said that both Best Buy and Future Shop now has the same policy. I dropped in to a local Best Buy and they confirmed that they will provide the 110% price match against Future Shop.

The Sale Manager also questioned me why I did not purchase the item from Best Buy since the price was lower. I felt that he was trying his best not to provide the price match. Why have the price match guarantee if the store management tells you to go buy it from the other store.

There is another post where the Winston Churchill Future Shop store seems to be making up their own policies
Has anyone else encountered this policy? Is the local store management making up their own rules?
29 replies
Aug 16, 2010
415 posts
155 upvotes
Whitby/Markham
It appears that way. I was at my local future shop just this past week buying an item. I talked to the sales associate about an item they had on sale and told them I'd just go next door to bestbuy and pm it. The sales associate actually ended up giving me an additional $10 off.(If I pm'd at bestbuy would have only saved $4)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't Best Buy in the US get busted last year for providing training to it's managers on the best way to weasel out of their advertised PM policy? I'd imagine Future Shop's managers got the same training. Why even deal with them if they're not going to honor their own policies? Shop somewhere else.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This was posted in the past... in the previous situations the posters later called Customer Service where the reps confirmed that even though they are the same company, they are seen as competitors. This is the same reason why the gift cards can be used in both stores (same system), but obviously the cashiers shouldn't do it (they're competitors).

The previous posters also made case for this:
"Well if you guys are one and the same, I'll use my BB GC to pay for it."
"No, you can't..."
etc.

Next time, just have them call Customer Service... or you do it for them... put them on the spot. Obviously if they actually lose money on a sale (ie. pm a loss leader), then they shouldn't do it, but don't make up BS excuses.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4415 posts
532 upvotes
andrew6123 wrote: On Monday night I was attempting to do a price match guarantee (110% of the difference) at the Future Shop at 2975 Argentia Rd in Mississauga (Winston Churchill) and I was told that they no longer consider Best Buy a competitor and while they can match the price they cannot give the 10% difference.

I asked to see this policy in writing but I was given the run around. It was funny the customer service reps and the Sale Manager could not find the policy. There is no mention of this in their store policy posted on futureshop.ca http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/help/our ... eId=hc8077

The Sale Manager also said that both Best Buy and Future Shop now has the same policy. I dropped in to a local Best Buy and they confirmed that they will provide the 110% price match against Future Shop.

The Sale Manager also questioned me why I did not purchase the item from Best Buy since the price was lower. I felt that he was trying his best not to provide the price match. Why have the price match guarantee if the store management tells you to go buy it from the other store.

There is another post where the Winston Churchill Future Shop store seems to be making up their own policies
Has anyone else encountered this policy? Is the local store management making up their own rules?

ask for the general manager.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
zzz3 wrote: ask for the general manager.

^^ THIS

"Sales Manager" was probably just the "Floor Manager" which is any regular customer service or product expert who is part of the Future Leaders program. Part of their "leader" training/program is to manage the floor for certain hours. (they will be carrying a portable phone) and this is the "manager" they call whenever there is a question.

The General Manager or even the Operations Manager will be more willing to help you. Unless they are in a lower ranked store they will not want you to leave for BB they will want you to buy from them. The general manager's name and picture is usually posted somewhere near customer service.

But sadly, results will vary across the chain. I have no problems here, but had tons of problems PMing a monitor at the BB in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1197 posts
694 upvotes
I simply don't shop at stores that d|ck me around like this. Why not vote with your money, friends?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
They have been trying to do this for a longtime and it is totally BS.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Smeh, not surprising. At one point Best Buy was asking the manufacturers to modify the serial number of the products they get for their stores (i.e. simply adding an extra "B" at the start or end) just so they and Futureshop could avoid price-matching each other on the basis that the products are not the same because of the different serial numbers.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
richardvoyageur wrote: I simply don't shop at stores that d|ck me around like this. Why not vote with your money, friends?

Not everyone has this option. Where I am my choices are FS, Stables, Or the Source.

Ordering online is not fun if you dont have a CC, or dont like paying extra for shipping, or dont like dealing with various return policies from online stores.

If you're in larger city centers where you h ave choices then Im a firm believer in buying the product at the store with the lowest advertised price. Why bother PMing? Reward those with better sales and prices.

Sadly - I often dont have a choice.
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
andrew6123 wrote: On Monday night I was attempting to do a price match guarantee (110% of the difference) at the Future Shop at 2975 Argentia Rd in Mississauga (Winston Churchill) and I was told that they no longer consider Best Buy a competitor and while they can match the price they cannot give the 10% difference.

Both Future Shop and BestBuy have tried to play this card in the past when denying PMs. Although Best Buy owns Future Shop, they were only allowed to open up stores in Canada as long as they were considered a seperate business from FS. So really, they're two seperate companies in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
Adams06 wrote: Both Future Shop and BestBuy have tried to play this card in the past when denying PMs. Although Best Buy owns Future Shop, they were only allowed to open up stores in Canada as long as they were considered a seperate business from FS. So really, they're two seperate companies in Canada.

Bestbuy started to open stores on their own, then the separate FS decided to sell out to them. They kept the 2 store strategy to ward of any more Americans from coming

But OP if you complain about this there is likely a gc in it for you
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4192 upvotes
Moncton, NB

+1 on this

I had an issue that lasted over a month with FS and when I finally got to talk to the GM of the store and learned that he had no clue what was going on (Even when the reps and floor manager told me he knew) and my issue was fixed that same afternoon that I talked to the GM :)

Also it's funny they don't PM Bestbuy because my last PM 2 weeks ago was with Bestbuy

They had a Laptop Backpack for 30$ and FS had it for 90$. I couldn't find a rep on the floor (they were all talking in the computer tech room) so I went to the customer service. There was a manager there but not sure if he was a floor manager but he was really nice. When he realized after the CS girl called computer tech twice to check on stock that they weren't coming over he told the CS to check herself. She did and they approved it. I even asked if I could get 2 because after the PM it was priced at 24$. He said "Why not, you could buy 2 @ Bestbuy so you can buy as many as you want here :) "

I was impressed by my last PM attempt @ FS :)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
They tried to jip me off that 10% pm policy (other than the 100% of course) claiming that they forgot about it - funny because we were discussing and mentioning about it non-stop when I was paying for my TV.

Then this Indian dude (I don't know who and what he is in the store, he had a cast on his arm back then) tried to intervene WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS...suffice to say I embarrased him infront of his co-workers. This dude apologizes for his dumbness after.

I'll post the name of the guy who tried to rip me off (he's a tall white dude who works in the TV dept).

Winston Churchill FS = notoriously incompetent.
Aug 29, 2004
187 posts
208 upvotes
Mississauga

I have sent the issue to service@futureshop.com and received the following reply:

[INDENT]Thank you for notifying us of your concerns. Please be assured that we will make every effort to provide you with a satisfactory resolution.

Your concern has been escalated to the appropriate department. You will receive an update via email within 1-2 business days.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation. We value your business and we look forward to serving you again.
[/INDENT]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
I hate it when Futureshop or Bestbuy weasle out of a price match. They will do anything to reject a PM.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Completely BS. BB and FS are competitors and they should let you PM, end of story. Plenty of people have been successful in doing this.

My advise is to just go back and try again, or just go to another store. PM is always up to the discretion of the CSR/manager in the end.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Dec 19, 2009
94 posts
16 upvotes
guelph
number8888 wrote: PM is always up to the discretion of the CSR/manager in the end.

How can that be? If you have an advertised price match policy and do not honour it then that is misleading advertising. It's not up to the csr/manager it's up to corporate who makes the policy and advertises it. If the policy is not being followed then the government agencies can investigate this misleading advertising.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
rance22 wrote: How can that be? If you have an advertised price match policy and do not honour it then that is misleading advertising. It's not up to the csr/manager it's up to corporate who makes the policy and advertises it. If the policy is not being followed then the government agencies can investigate this misleading advertising.

PMs are a privillege not a right. There is no legal obligation to offer you a price other than the one the store itself is advertising to you. The PM policy also states that it can change at any time without notice.
It is up to the CSR/manager to decide. For example if a store is selling an imac for 500$ but the going rate (lets say at FS) is 1200$... the CSR is probably going to think something is up and deny the PM.

CSRs are also under pressure from the manager. at least at the store i worked at the manager had the numbers for the store printed out every hour, so if the store is doing poorly they will tighten the ropes.

not that this is an excuse.. just trying to give you insight on how things work at the store level.

but they dont have to PM, and if anyone in a store told me to just go buy it at the other store (with the cheaper price) i would probably leave and not shop there anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2005
1247 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Mysticdragon wrote: PMs are a privillege not a right. There is no legal obligation to offer you a price other than the one the store itself is advertising to you. The PM policy also states that it can change at any time without notice.
not really a privilege IMO - more of an offer made by the store that may or may not be binding on them - the PM policy is an offer/advert, it's in the domain of contract and competition and advertising law, i.e. rules about what you can say in a commercial context without incurring some kind of obligation.

Note the PM policy does not say 'we may decline PMs at our whim' (I don't know the law on this, but why didn't they give themselves that big old escape clause? Just for the optics, or would that be invalid somehow?).

The note about change to policy doesn't help them unless they actually change the policy (i.e. the rule applied in all similar situations, not just your case).

It might be this: if stores were allowed in law to arbitrarily refuse PMs, it would open the door to discrimination by a nasty store against some genders/races/what-have-you...

(okay, that's a little remote today ((hopefully)), but there's still something to the idea that people should be treated 'fairly', even by private enterprise, no?)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)