• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2009 10:18 am
[OP]
Nov 20, 2007
123 posts
34 upvotes
Guelph

Future Shop open-box return policy??

I bought an open box camera yesterday from FS, got it home, and there's a mechanical problem with it. When I take it back to the store, will they give me a new one off the shelf, simply refund my money, or offer me the choice of either?

If they cannot give me a new one, and just refund my money..... here's my other concern: I'd like to keep the memory card that I bought along with it, for my old P&S camera, but the sales rep gave me a bit of a discount off it due to my ESP purchase. Since I'll be returning the camera and ESP, will the customer service desk force me to return the memory card?

Anyone know the official FS policy on open box returns? What about the policy on keeping a discounted item after the return? Ideally, I'd like to walk out with a replacement camera... but either way, I'll be needing the memory card.

Has anyone ever bought something from FS, recieved a discount on accessories, returned the original item, and been able/allowed to keep the accessories? The reciept simply shows the discounted price, rather than an original price AND a discount... will the customer service people KNOW to ask for the other items back? Can they force this?

Cheers!
9 replies
[OP]
Nov 20, 2007
123 posts
34 upvotes
Guelph
angelelusive wrote: I bought an open box camera yesterday from FS, got it home, and there's a mechanical problem with it. When I take it back to the store, will they give me a new one off the shelf, simply refund my money, or offer me the choice of either?

If they cannot give me a new one, and just refund my money..... here's my other concern: I'd like to keep the memory card that I bought along with it, for my old P&S camera, but the sales rep gave me a bit of a discount off it due to my ESP purchase. Since I'll be returning the camera and ESP, will the customer service desk force me to return the memory card?

Anyone know the official FS policy on open box returns? What about the policy on keeping a discounted item after the return? Ideally, I'd like to walk out with a replacement camera... but either way, I'll be needing the memory card.

Has anyone ever bought something from FS, recieved a discount on accessories, returned the original item, and been able/allowed to keep the accessories? The reciept simply shows the discounted price, rather than an original price AND a discount... will the customer service people KNOW to ask for the other items back? Can they force this?

Cheers!
::EDIT::
I got a response from a CSR regarding the policy.
"Regarding the return, you'll have the option to pay the difference between your open box camera and a brand new one, and get a brand new camera, or return the open box camera for a full refund."

So now.. I just need to figure out if I can manage to keep the accessory that I got at the discount.

Anyone?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1000 posts
88 upvotes
Are there any notes written on your receipt?
Dec 16, 2007
238 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
as far as i know, they do not ask you to return the accessory... on the reciept, there is no way for the csr to know if it was offered at a discounted price
[OP]
Nov 20, 2007
123 posts
34 upvotes
Guelph
ionic wrote: Are there any notes written on your receipt?
Nada.. nothing on the reciept. It doesn't even say Reg $49.99, Sale $9.99. It just says Item name and price.

Was just concerned that the computer might show it when being returned.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4173 posts
758 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just wondering, if you want to have it for that price, can you get it repaired, if it's covered under warranty?
[OP]
Nov 20, 2007
123 posts
34 upvotes
Guelph
dmxlite wrote: Just wondering, if you want to have it for that price, can you get it repaired, if it's covered under warranty?
I COULD technically, but... I've heard bad things about the wait time on Canon repairs, and I've found another store that'll sell it for about $20 more, and the ESP will be $80 rather than FS's $179.99... so SAVINGS!

I'm just concerned about the return and the accessories. We'll see tomorrow I guess!
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1000 posts
88 upvotes
If your receipt doesn't have any hand written notes on it, you should be able to return whatever you like, and keep whatever you like.

edit: conversely, if your receipt did have a hand written note - it would mean that it is a package deal. Package deals must all be returned, or nothing.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2007
123 posts
34 upvotes
Guelph
ionic wrote: If your receipt doesn't have any hand written notes on it, you should be able to return whatever you like, and keep whatever you like.

edit: conversely, if your receipt did have a hand written note - it would mean that it is a package deal. Package deals must all be returned, or nothing.
Nope... the reciept says Camera: price, Memory Card: price.

No discounted prices listed, no notes... nothing. I was just concerned that the CSR processing the refund/return would see the original price in the computer and give me crap about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1000 posts
88 upvotes
Well.. let us know how it goes.