Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Sony DSC-RX100 Mk3 Pre-Order $868.99 (May 29 only)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 12:17 pm
Jan 20, 2006
985 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
chimp wrote: for a camera of this size, the EVF I have to agree with another poster is more of a show off than real usefuless. good EVF is needed for SLR and may be 43 but for this, kind of pointless.
The main reason why you carry this camera is because of its size and above average PQ compare to other high end compacts such as LX7. If you need to carry another camera such as DSLR along with RX100 at the same time, don't you feel it defeats the whole point of having RX100? Well, I mean yes, If I feel the need to use higher end gears in some conditions, yes, I will carry heavier gears with me. However the truth is 40% of the occasions, i only need to carry Rx100 with me without anything else so I can enjoy most of my time with my family and taking casual pictures with RX100. Again, maybe it is only me, but I'd rather use EVF instead of boosting LCD brightness to max (and still can barely see anything through LCD) which will drain battery quicker than you expect... coz I like to take pictures with good light outdoor.

By the way, I do think RX100 is an overpriced camera (ridiculously!!!) simply because it has no competitors, even at this promotional price at 809.99. One of my setup is E-M5 with 20mm f1.7 but it is still heavier and inferior in some part than RX100MK3 (thinking indoor video...). I obviously do not mean PQ here, but the need to carry more than one lens, and change them when you need to chase after kids.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
ymlccc wrote: Well, you cannot make everyone happy. If EVF is not mandatory, MK2 should be a better choice considering a pretty nice price drop from other e-tailers soon (or even RX100). To me and other posters, EVF is a "must" have feature and that's also why I waited two models until they bring this feature in.
Yea I have the MK1, and it seems I'll be skipping this generation as well
ShadowVlican
Jun 7, 2007
333 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
For me, a retractable EVF is a killer feature. If I'd only caught this when it was still in stock I would've jumped on it!

At least now I can just wait for reviews to see how the image quality is.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
chrominance wrote: For me, a retractable EVF is a killer feature. If I'd only caught this when it was still in stock I would've jumped on it!

At least now I can just wait for reviews to see how the image quality is.
+1

.....I'm sure the EVF works fine but it's better to wait for the reviews to see how good the new lens is.
Jan 20, 2006
985 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
warpdrive wrote: +1

.....I'm sure the EVF works fine but it's better to wait for the reviews to see how good the new lens is.
I'd try it myself in store instead of just read what reviewer tells you. They don't "own" your eyes and everyone has different standard between good, bad, and acceptable. I recently bought a set of A7 with 28-70mm (special this week everywhere for 1799.99 since Sony announce the price for A7S). Some reviews mentioned the shutter sound been too loud, I thought how loud can it be, it is just a shutter... well, I thought wrong, my god it's "loud" and it actually woke my son up while I was taking pictures of him during his sleep... I am still not sure if A7 is a keeper.
May 5, 2006
991 posts
474 upvotes
ymlccc wrote: I'd try it myself in store instead of just read what reviewer tells you. They don't "own" your eyes and everyone has different standard between good, bad, and acceptable. I recently bought a set of A7 with 28-70mm (special this week everywhere for 1799.99 since Sony announce the price for A7S). Some reviews mentioned the shutter sound been too loud, I thought how loud can it be, it is just a shutter... well, I thought wrong, my god it's "loud" and it actually woke my son up while I was taking pictures of him during his sleep... I am still not sure if A7 is a keeper.
Sounds like the reviews might've been right! :)

I don't really care about the EVF, but the new lens (if it's as good as it sounds... will wait for reviews) plus the built in ND filter, plus the new processor... very tempted.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
3164 posts
3358 upvotes
57330 downvotes
randomthoughts wrote: Sounds like the reviews might've been right! :)

I don't really care about the EVF, but the new lens (if it's as good as it sounds... will wait for reviews) plus the built in ND filter, plus the new processor... very tempted.
It has a built in ND filter? New processor but same sensor.

Edit: looks like it does.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
ymlccc wrote: The main reason why you carry this camera is because of its size and above average PQ compare to other high end compacts such as LX7. If you need to carry another camera such as DSLR along with RX100 at the same time, don't you feel it defects the whole point of having RX100? Well, I mean yes, If I feel the need to use higher end gears in some conditions, yes, I will carry heavier gears with me. However the truth is 40% of the occasions, i only need to carry Rx100 with me without anything else so I can enjoy most of my time with my family and taking casual pictures with RX100. Again, maybe it is only me, but I'd rather use EVF instead of boosting LCD brightness to max (and still can barely see anything through LCD) which will drain battery quicker than you expect... coz I like to take pictures with good light outdoor.

By the way, I do think RX100 is an overpriced camera (ridiculously!!!) simply because it has no competitors, even at this promotional price at 809.99. One of my setup is E-M5 with 20mm f1.7 but it is still heavier and inferior in some part than RX100MK3 (thinking indoor video...). I obviously do not mean PQ here, but the need to carry more than one lens, and change them when you need to chase after kids.
I am on the complete opposite. No matter how pro your gears are, direct sunlight means bad pictures(well I mean the people photo I am interested in, not landscape or macro etc.). So that makes the only time an EVF in this case gone.

I actually like this for indoor shooting given its fast lens. for direct sunlight 'I am here' type, any DC would do the job which even this gear makes it too heavy/too large. I am quite satisfy with my ELPH 320 for those situations
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2569 posts
1818 upvotes
Waterloo
KiraSensei wrote: It has a built in ND filter? New processor but same sensor.

Edit: looks like it does.
I missed this in my summary of notable differences, but this is great to see given that the S120 also has built in ND filter.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Jan 20, 2006
985 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
chimp wrote: I am on the complete opposite. No matter how pro your gears are, direct sunlight means bad pictures(well I mean the people photo I am interested in, not landscape or macro etc.). So that makes the only time an EVF in this case gone.

I actually like this for indoor shooting given its fast lens. for direct sunlight 'I am here' type, any DC would do the job which even this gear makes it too heavy/too large. I am quite satisfy with my ELPH 320 for those situations
Not necessarily true. I mean for PRO photo/purpose pictures (example: wedding), maybe, photographer will try to avoid "direct" contact with sunlight while framing the subject. But again, most of people are using RX100 for casual photos in general such as family BBQ, birthday party, restaurant, and casual indoor/outdoor events...etc. With that been said, I simply can't avoid or won't framing under sunlight in general. Again, I am not saying what you're saying is wrong, but just to point out, there're actual advantages to have EVF in certain conditions. Whatever makes you happy man!
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
3164 posts
3358 upvotes
57330 downvotes
The camera has a build-in ND filter so filming in direct sunlight isnt a problem...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
the problem of direct sunlight is not too much light(which can be handled by ND) but too harsh light. Have you seen how Vogue deal with these situations ?

For amateur, fill flash, reflector etc. may be able to partially compensate that but generally speaking, avoid direct sunlight.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
I prefer RX100 as a Nikon user. The Coolpix A is APS-C, so expect better IQ but lack of zoom will greatly limit the usability of the RX100. 24-70mm is a very usable zoom range for typical usage.
batman007 wrote: Any opinions on the Nikon A vs this camera?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
chimp wrote: the problem of direct sunlight is not too much light(which can be handled by ND) but too harsh light. Have you seen how Vogue deal with these situations ?

For amateur, fill flash, reflector etc. may be able to partially compensate that but generally speaking, avoid direct sunlight.
Well, I'll have to make sure to tell my kid's soccer coach that next time, maybe he can schedule the games on a field that has no direct sunlight. :)

Yes, if you're doing portraiture work, you don't want to have your subject in direct sunlight at high noon (though, sunset/sunrise are amazing times to have subjects in direct sunlight). But there are a MILLION other situations where you're framing photos in direct sunlight and can't see the LCD very well, and an EVF is super handy for those situations. And hell, even in the portraiture situation, sometimes YOU have to be out in the direct sunlight to frame the shot the way you want, even if your subject is appropriately shaded.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Well, I'll have to make sure to tell my kid's soccer coach that next time, maybe he can schedule the games on a field that has no direct sunlight. :)
You:"Hey coach, can you reschdule my kid's game until my EVF equipped RX100 is shipped, as I absolutely need that to take photo for the game"
Coach: "Oh, I have an old D EOS which I used to use for my kids game and the result were great, you can use that if you want"
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
For most people who have a Mk1 or Mk2, it’s probably not worth upgrading unless you really miss that wider angle. The RX100 keeps growing bigger and getting more expensive and with the Mk1 going for under $500 on sale, it’s a stretch to spend the extra $300-400 more.

I like my Mk2 and am getting great pictures out of it, but in retrospect, the Mk1 was already quite fine as “don’t-want-to-carry-my-DSLR camera”, If you intend to really replace a DSLR with this camera, having the EVF and faster wider lens makes sense. For my OMD which has a EVF, I find that there are some times when it comes in handy when I can barely read the display, but on the RX100, I feel that I could live without it.
Oct 28, 2012
967 posts
165 upvotes
EDMONTON
half of the price is actually the lens itself....
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
Just to chime in and repeat everyone else's opinion, the RX100 rocks regardless of which version.