Future Shop in-store pickup...WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 10:55 pm
[OP]
Mar 5, 2006
37 posts
5 upvotes

Future Shop in-store pickup...WTF?

OK, so in the early evening on Wed, I ordered an XBOX 360 Pro (the $199 deal) on futureshop.ca for pickup at the Eglinton and laird store. I received an email that night saying my order was ready for pickup in store, and that I should pick it up in three days to avoid cancellation.

I figure i will grab it on Sat, which is 3 days later. On the Saturday, I got tied up and didn't think i would make it in, so I call to see if they will hold the order one more day (if not, I would have made sure I went). The customer service person tells me she is busy, but will check into the order and call me back.

Here is where it gets good. She calls me back 20min later, and tells me that they have it, but I now have to pay the regular price, $269, because the sale ended. I said I know the sale ended, but I bought it online while it was on sale, and I have my order confirmation with my $199 price. She tells me that ordering it online for pickup is only like reserving it, and that whatever price something is when you come in to pick it up, that is what you pay. I told her she must be joking, that she is saying if I bought something at 11pm at night and went to pick it up in the morning and the sale had ended, that I would have never been able to get that price, and she said exactly. I told her that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of and that I was coming to pick it up and that I would be paying the $199 price.

She then says to me that it is more than 3 days, so I can't get it at that price anymore anyways. Again, I calmly explained that I bought it on the Wednesday night, so Thursday night is 1 day, friday night 2 days, saturday is 3 days. She then tells me that the day you buy something always counts as a day, even if you buy it after the store is closed. You would think this girl was going to have to take the discount out of her own pocket.

Anyways, final outcome, I ask to speak to a manager and she says one will call me back, but that the manager won't change anything, and that she doesn't make the policies. Of course the manager called me back and said I would have no problem picking it up on the Sunday at the $199 price...she was actually quite nice and agreed to put a note on it just to make sure. I picked it up today for $199.

I have dealt with strange salespeople at Futureshop when it comes to price matching and such, but never something like this...this girl was just unbelievabe. She was trying to come up with any reason why I couldn't have it at the price I bought it at.

Sorry about the long post...but this was so strange I had to post it. Has anyone else ever been told that in-store pickup doesn't hold the price, and is only "reserving" the merchandise?
13 replies
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42409 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Girl was totally wrong. No need to have got fussy with her, should've got a manager right away. ISPU locks in the price as well, but you can also ISPU before a sale to lock in the inventory. It works both ways for the customer.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5683 posts
1518 upvotes
Montreal
Definitely just a messed up sales clerk. I ordered my 360 for $199 on Thursday and had no problem picking it up for the same price on Saturday afternoon.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11590 posts
14788 upvotes
Just print out your invoice and bring it when you pick it up. Its proof that you bought it at sale price. Because if the sale is over, it rings in at regular price. Remember you are charged when you pick up the item.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 12:02 am
Just print out your invoice and bring it when you pick it up. Its proof that you bought it at sale price. Because if the sale is over, it rings in at regular price. Remember you are charged when you pick up the item.
Yup, if nobody picked up your order, or it wasn't reshelved, then go grab it. Bring it to cash and they ring up according to your original order.

They would have a point if it's beyond 3 days but in your case, the girl was clearly wrong. Good thing you escalated it.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2006
37 posts
5 upvotes
Picked it up on Sunday for the $199 price...no problem. It was at the customer service desk with the note from the manager on it.

Also got them to price match and beat the EB Game NHL 10 price of $44.99, so ended up picking up the game for $42.50, which is sweet.

It all worked out in the end, and as I said, the manager was quite nice. I would just love to know why the original person I talked to was so dead set on not letting me have it at the price I ordered it for. I guess it will just be one of life's little mysteries..... :)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 8th, 2009 11:18 pm
Girl was totally wrong. No need to have got fussy with her, should've got a manager right away. ISPU locks in the price as well, but you can also ISPU before a sale to lock in the inventory. It works both ways for the customer.
+1

Exactly. I order stuff online for ISPU all the time when they do their limited-time online-only sales (when they're closed for the holidays) and I go in the next day and pay the price I ordered it for after the sale is over.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6152 posts
871 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The first girl is so wrong. She's either new or as a temp CSR. Obviously she doesn't understand the whole ISPU concept. I never had problem getting the sale price with ISPU after the sale is over. At least everything worked out.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Time of the month, man!
Nov 8, 2009
12 posts
There is ambiguity in the whole day thing.

Is it one business day, one calendar day or one full day?

Usually customer service reps want to solve issues without a fuss, sounds like she was looking for a fight.
Nov 13, 2005
423 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
I have had the same experience twice at the same store - Calgary Coventry Hills.

They wouldn't budge either time even with the print-out,
BOYCOTT EUROPEAN KEYBOARDS ON CANADIAN LAPTOPS
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
Technic wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 1:49 pm
There is ambiguity in the whole day thing.

Is it one business day, one calendar day or one full day?

Usually customer service reps want to solve issues without a fuss, sounds like she was looking for a fight.
I believe its generally assumed one calendar day since FS and BB both open and operate on weekends except for holidays.

As for if the first day counts as 1 day? I dunno, you'll have to check with them.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Mar 5, 2006
37 posts
5 upvotes
There seems to be a bunch of former (or current) Future Shop employees that visit the site. Can anyone tell me why so many people that work there have such an aversion to helping people out? Make up fake rules to avoid price matching? Are you actually told by management to try and do these things? Is there some kind of incentive against, or punishment for helping people out? I would love to know.

BTW, I am not grouping everyone that works there together. I have had a ton of good experiences at FS, friendly and helpful staff, etc...I just wonder why some workers there act like that. Maybe they are just jerks...
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
743 upvotes
number8888 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 11:12 am
The first girl is so wrong. She's either new or as a temp CSR. Obviously she doesn't understand the whole ISPU concept. I never had problem getting the sale price with ISPU after the sale is over. At least everything worked out.
Um 'common sense'.......like WTF?

C L U E L E S S

[IMG]http://www.tvgasm.com/shows/images/topc ... 101009.jpg[/IMG]